No big payday for Mo Wilk

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gsulli5861, Jan 27, 2014.

1. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

2. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Nope.. They need to give it to him now, because chances are he is even more of a beast next year and his price will only go up...

3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Wow, this leaves us with even more room to sure up some areas of need on this team.
    I, as I'm sure others, were thinking had a pretty big chunk of our budget slated for signing Big Mo to a long term deal.

This changes everything.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I would rather give him the extension this off-season. At the pace Wilkerson has been developing, it will cost a lot more money to resign him next off-season.

5. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

The better Richardson and Co. get and if our secondary becomes decent Mo will get paid. Big Time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I feel bad for the guys that deserve it and don't get paid. The title is a little misleading, though, because the Jets still could very well give him an extension now if they choose to. Wilk's a classy dude, though and I bet he's not going to throw a fit over it. He'll just get paid more the next year. I doubt he'd even consider holding out.

7. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

He'll cost more in the future if he actually does make the Pro Bowl.

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Yeah me may balloon up in in terms of production and pull a JPP of the Giants.

Hes a super freak

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Wow the players get SCREWED. especially considering the way rookies cashed in years before. Rookie contract for four years, tendered a 5th year and then possible franchise tag for their 6th..

A lot of them will be going into their 7th season before they can think of trying the market for a long-term deal. With the window for injury/decline in this league as small as it is, that's VERY unfair IMO.

10. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I agree. Paying him now could both save us money and keep us on good terms with him heading into the future. Saving a bit of cash for a year or two is all well and good but if we've pissed him off by pinching pennies and he turns into a perennial pro-bowler and walks is it really worth it?

Pay him what he's worth now. It's only fair, first of all, and it helps maintain a positive relationship with him so maybe he will be willing to take a bit of a hometown discount considering we drafted him, developed him and treated him well from Day 1 instead of hitting the FA market and cashing in.

11. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I think he may get paid this year - depending on how much we spend in free agency.

We will just have to wait and see how much we have left

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

His value may just continue to rise, and he's going to get paid at some point.
    Might as well do it now while we have some cap to work with.
    he's the most valuable guy on the team imo..

13. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I wonder what Idzik's history is with situations like this in Seattle. He was the cap guy, right? Does anyone know how Seattle treated contracts like this when Idzik worked there?

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

What a misleading article.

Yeah, it sucks - but, with new pay scale, new evaluation criteria is coming as well. You just won't be throwing the kind of mad money at FAs any more. If you draft well, you will get equivalent service at much lower rate, so why spend more? This WILL drive down the FA market in due time as well.

As players, I get it - yeah, it sucks. But face it. If you start shelling out 20M contract to multiple players on your roster, you know you won't be competing for the big one anyway. Probably QB is the ONLY possible exception. I'd like to think this is a movement that will turn the pay scale to a reasonable level. Just - it will take time. Give it about 4-5 years of time, so that no player is playing from the salary of the past pay scale.

15. JetD

JetD Member

Im sure Mo will get his money, and it will be from the Jets.....no way we let him get away with the defense we're building. Hopefully we take care of the big guy after the draft and FA

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is a real possibility.

Having Mo Wilkerson under contract at an affordable rate over the next 6 or 7 years is probably better than 3 years for $19M and then watching the market shoot his compensation into the stratosphere.

The Jets should be able to work out a $8-10M a year deal with Mo Wilk if they are creative about it. They can give him more upfront right now than he would earn over the next 3 years and a good salary until his 29-30 year on top of that.

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I'd say Jets need to wait out.

That is, they should wait until other teams pull the fast one on their players [Watt, Cam, etc] Once that happens, time is ripe for that. Jets shouldn't be pulling the fast ones on their players - but timing is a delicate thing.

18. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Think it would be a mistake to not begin negotiating with MoWilk this offseason. Does not mean a deal must be made but Jets do have a window to take advantage of. Offer MoWilk a nice contract that falls short of the truly elite DL in the league. At the same time, his nice pay raise will start 2014 instead of 2015. I would think all rookies want to get off that rookie scale ASAP (as long as the offer isn't a real low-ball).

MoWilk will make an impact on Jets salary cap one year earlier BUT his impact in the long run for 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018(maybe?) will be lower.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's not pulling a fast one if a team decides to take advantage of the CBA in that way. It is however getting 3 cheap years at the expense of a horrible free agent situation in year 4 (when Mo Wilk will be 27) when the guy finally hits the market.

Maybe the wise maneuver is to take the 3 years and accept the fact that you've damaged the relationship with the player near the point of no repair. I don't think that's the case though. If Mo Wilk gets hurt during the 3 years you're screwed either way, just at a lower payout.

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

This is what I am talking about. That's what I call [pulling the fast one]. When the players and franchises negotiate, they do in good faith, that the said player will get the fitting compensation in due time. Thus, if the franchise does pull of this tactic, then it shows the entire world what kind of franchise this team is. If you think that won't affect the future signings, then I don't know what to tell you. I am all for rewarding Mo Wilk this season for this reason. It will make economic sense first and foremost, but at the same time tells the player that the franchise values him highly too. [I would expect other teams to follow the suit in fact - but then you never know; which was why I thought it would be customary to be more cautious and prudent in the approach.]