Are You SURE You REALLY Want Sanchez Off The Jets ??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

You're first assumption is faulty because while I LOVE Rex and think he is neither completely stupid nor completely irrational, he has a touch of stupidity and irrationality in him. Just a touch, but that can also be looked at as impetuousness which is what makes Rex a dynamic coach. He's not afraid to do slightly stupid or slightly irrational things to win.

And to your second point, I don't have to do anything, the ONLY reason he put him out there was that he wanted desperately to win that stupid inconsequential game.

The links were directed at another poster who didn't understand that what Rex did was boneheaded and that the only reason he DID something so boneheaded was because at that point it was clear to everyone with an objective viewpoint that Geno was not, in fact ready to start the season as the starter. So whether it was by default or by earning it, Sanchez was most likely, at the time Geno exited that game, the starter week 1.

So lets recap--I'm not so sure Sanchez EARNED the starting job--I think on balance he was in a slight lead, but lets assume I'm biased. I also think, on balance, at the time it was very clear Geno was not ready to start game one. So either by default, or by a slight margin or because it probably made sense from a developmental standpoint for Geno--Sanchez probably should have started week 1. And then by week 4-5 probably hand (or fumble) the reigns over to Geno.

Putting him in that game was boneheaded because he was in all likelihood the week 1 starter.

For that sole reason.

Didn't you get the memo? :smile:

_

2. JStokes

Nope.

He may not have clearly won the job, but by a slim margin or by default it was clear he was the week 1 starter.

Rex put him out there to win that stupid Snoopy Trophy. His ego could not let him lose to his co-tenants.

_

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Even before the Giants game, Mark didn't EARN the job, which is what everyone wanted. Geno was out-performing him in practice. Mark had to prove something (which he did not do before the injury) and give the Front Office a vote of confidence. The injury was a shame, but at the end of the day he wasn't doing anything before the injury.

I don't think Geno is the answer, but Mark didn't give anyone any confidence. And this is coming from a guy that didn't want Geno to begin with and wanted Sanchez to start the season.

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I hate the last part. People want a different QB than the one that looked like a rookie in his 4th year of the league, that's their opinion. If Sanchez started, I think 99% of the fanbase would root for Sanchez/Jets to succeed. It makes sense fans are kind of tired of Sanchez+his contract the past 3 years. People would rather take a chance with a high potential unknown than with a player they think they know.

The whole "deserving" thing is stupid in my mind. Everyone has a player on the team they think plays poorly and a backup somewhere they would like to get more snaps. People want a different QB, that's 100% okay by me.

Wishing injury and stuff, I can more of a point in your deserving statement. You didn't quote anyone specifically so it sounds like you are going off at fans who don't want a QB who played terrible two years ago and coming off a shoulder injury to play.

5. JStokes

Nobody EARNED the job and while Geno had his moments, so did Sanchez and I think, on balance AT THE TIME it was somewhat clear Geno was not ready to start week 1. Did Sanchez flat out EARN it? Not sure. But on balance he was probably more ready to start week 1 than Geno. Take Sanchez out of the equation and I think most objective folks would agree Geno was not ready.

In hindsight, maybe it was for the best given how well Geno played week 1, but AT THE TIME, Sanchez was in all likelihood the starter and should not have been in that preseason game.

_

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I personally thought AT THAT TIME (lol) - Mark wasn't all that impressive during the preseason, and he definitely wasn't that impressive in practice. I didn't see much change in his game, only the play-calling. I am disagreeing with people here because they believed Mark EARNED that job - when in reality he was playing on an even level playing field with an unprepared rookie.

I thought Mark was going to be the defacto week 1 starter because Geno was just not ready. I think the coaching staff could have gone either way. They could have gone with the unknown commodity / potential in Geno to see what they had. I don't think the coaching staff cared if Geno was ready or not.

Mark deserved to be in that game - he didn't show his worth to the team - the injury again sucked, but shit happens.

At the end of the day, it would have been much better to not draft Geno at all, go with Mark for one more year and look forward to another QB starting for the Jets in the future.

7. No.You're right..people are entitled to their opinions. I just think there is a segment of this fan base both on here & at the games that

A. Would rather be right in their predictions than see the team win
    B. Want to complain & bash the team around every turn.

The whole Sanchez situation epitomizes that. Rather than support the kid & try to build him back up like fans should do..all we heard was hate, ill wishings & the like.

Me personally..I find that embarassing. I wish those individuals would find a new team to root for

8. When i saw this post I was quickly reminded of a similar mockery of my opinions on the draft board by you..and as badly as I want to respond w/ something equally as snide..I simply can't bring myself to insult someone w/ a Mr. Pibb avatar.

9. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Ahh that clarifies it more. I know exactly what you are talking about with A, that I find really annoying.

I don't see too much of B on here, granted maybe to me some of it seems deserved just because it has been 3 years of mediocrity at best.

I can see where you are coming from with the hate and ill wishings. I don't see anything wrong with people saying "I would rather QB X than Sanchez as a backup/competing next year." I do see what you mean if it's something like "I hope Sanchez never plays at QB again in the NFL".

10. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

So if you don't like Sanchez then your not a real Jets fan? Please explain how that makes any sense.

Basically what your saying is that if we don't agree with you on a particular player, then that makes us not real fans.

It's not crazy to think Sanchez isn't any good ya know. Majority of the sports world would agree with us. Just saying....

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I understand. When you can't come up with anything better than a shot at my outstanding Mr. Pibb avatar it's smart for you to just keep quiet.

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I can't believe Rex would be foolish enough to put a guy who he knew was his starting QB in the game in that situation. I just don't buy it. The idea that he wanted to win that game so badly is a joke to me.

While I agree that Geno did not appear ready at that point based in the limited action the fans saw, I don't know how you can be so sure Sanchez would have been the default choice if neither guy separated themselves. I think their is a strong argument to be made that if a 4 year starter couldn't clearly beat out a 2nd round rookie that the rookie should start by default. We also don't know whether Geno was a lot more impressive in practices prior to being injured.

Yeah. I got the memo. And I understand the policy. And the problem is just that I forgot the one time. And I've already taken care of it so it's not even really a problem anymore.

#1572 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

My take is that Mark won the competition but it was really by default because Geno played so poorly. Rex knew starting Sanchez in front of the opening day crowd was going to be a hard sell. So he put Sanchez in the game so he can look good against 3rd and 4th stringers. In his mind, it would have left no doubt that Sanchez was the clear cut winner. It's not too different from how he inserted Sanchez unscripted at the end of the Green and White scrimmage just so he could salvage what was otherwise a poor performance. This time it backfired on him.

The funny thing is that Sanchez was getting ready for season as though he was the starter. He was not expecting to play after what Geno did. He barely could find his helmet.

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great point. Rex loves Mark. With Rex returning, he may push for Mark to stay. No way he thinks Geno is better.

15. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I agree totally. I think that was definitely Rex's idea.

Sanchez beating Geno by a slim margin is nothing for people to get excited. Once again it doesn't prove anything other then a guy coming into his 5th season is capable of beating out a project second round pick by a slim margin.

I hate seeing people compare Sanchez to rookie's, or veteran journeyman QB's, come to the conclusion that he is better, and then act like they proved something.

Sanchez was drafted to be a franchise QB. Compare him to other good QB's and he pale's in comparison. This isn't debatable. Yet some people think it is. The question is whether or not he can be salvaged and turn his career around. Not who is the lucky team who is going to have this gem of a player fall into their lap because the Jets are morons and can't see the greatness in him.

Sanchez is going to either have to sign with a crap team with no QB or sign with a team, be the backup, wait for an injury, and then try to prove himself to a new coach and GM.

Sanchez failed with plenty of talent on offense. People act like our 2012 roster was all he ever had to work with. Simply not the case. He had enough talent around him to be successful in all the previous years. He had 2 coordinators, neither of which he succeeded under. He failed. The team being successful in 09 and 10 doesn't mean Mark was good. Why can't people understand that? And if MM was really that impressed with him i'm sure he would be pushing to bring Mark back. I doubt he is though. If Mark ends up signing elsewhere that probably shows you what MM feels about him as well.

The Jets are smart to let him walk.

16. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

So... The poor seasons with plentiful "talent" to work with and the buffet of premium OC's prove he isn't good, but the good seasons with the same don't prove anything. Odd - really.

17. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

What good seasons are you talking about? He hasn't had one. Are you talking about the one's where the team went to the playoffs? Those don't mean they are good.

2010 was his best season and he was average...at best.

18. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Keep this in mind: Woody did NOT want Sanchez to start unless he was CLEARLY LIGHT-YEARS better than Geno.

Woody fired MT over the contract extension given to Sanchez. He clearly is pissed off that he gave him the extension, is paying for it, and then blamed Mark for not protecting himself in the Giants PS game.

19. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

Yeah - those two seasons. His rookie and sophomore season. As in, the first and second year he played NFL football.

20. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

An you know this, how?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.