Concensus Draft - Round 1 Make your pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by jerseyjay14, Jan 21, 2014.

1. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

#1 Jace Amaro
    #2 Davante Adams/ Jarvis Landry

*based on who I think will be available*

2. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Round 1 Mike Evans
    Round 2 Kyle Van Noy

Would be a dream come true for me if Evans/Amaro then Van Noy

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Evans or Ebron in the first with Matthews in the second would be unbelievable. I would literally be in awe if that happened.

One could wish right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

4. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

1st: Eric Ebron
    2nd: Allen Robinson (coup if he's still there)

5. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

I will drown myself in the Pacific Ocean if the Jets' stupid management (scouting led by Bradway & Co.) drafts another TE in the 1st round.

The 1st rounder in 2005 (26th overall) the brilliant Terry Bradway dealt pre-draft to the Raiders for Doug Jolley could have been Roddy White.

Or had they held on to the pick, they could have traded up 2 or 3 spots and taken....Aaron Rodgers!!

But it was worth it, eh? At least they got another worthless scrub TE to do absolutely nothing.

#25 al_toon_88, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  6. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Well, then I guess you better be prepared to drown yourself. Because if a TE is BPA on our board, we will select Ebron or Amaro.

And just because we had a bad history of picking TE's in the 1st round means we shouldn't ever do it? Terrible thinking.

7. al_toon_88

Most TEs, even good ones, take a few years to develop. Jimmy Graham barely played his rookie season.

My "terrible thinking" goes beyond the Jets' history. Look at the history of the entire league drafting TEs.

For every guy who turns into something decent, I can name 10+ TEs taken in the 1st round over the years who have been busts or "just a guy."

Vernon Davis at #6 overall in 2006 is a rare exception, and he didn't break out until his 4th year. If you think the Jets can wait that long for an impact offensive playmaker -- and that's IF the guy can actually play at the next level -- I don't know what team you've been watching.

Tyler Eifert was taken in the top 20 last year. He had 22 catches for 257 yards and one TD.

You can find value picks with upside later in the draft if you do your homework (Jimmy graham -- last pick of 3rd round, Gronk -- 2nd, Jordan Reed -- 3rd) instead of reaching in the 1st just because of some guy's latest mock.

Would you rather have: Tyler Eifert (plus your 3rd rounder) or Jordan Reed (plus your 1st rounder) ?

#27 al_toon_88, Jan 24, 2014
  8. Jets4eva9011

Eifert split time with Gresham, he wasn't the clear cut starter. They also eased him in. Also, he was drafted at 21, not in the top 20.

Gronk was a 1st round talent that fell to the 2nd round cause of injury concerns (which is still affecting him to this day).

Graham, while a very good TE, wouldn't have the same numbers on most other teams.

I liked Reed in last year's draft. I don't see that type of player in this year's draft. The TE class after Ebron, Amaro and ASJ is pretty bare-bones.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Trading it for Doug Joleey was one of the stupidest moves ever made by a GM. Roddy White? No thanks. Until Julius Jones showed up, he was pretty awful. I still don't think he's anything special.

Aaron Rodgers? Most definitely. Where do I sign up? ;-)

I understand where you're coming from regarding 1st round TEs. They're not my first preference by any stretch of the imagination. That said, the Jets need some offensive weapons.

If all the top WRs are gone at #18 and the Jets are looking at choosing between Ebron, Amaro, S-J, CJ Mosley, Calvin Pryor, Kyle Van Noy, then I will be torn. In that scenario, the Jets better had not miss with whomever they take.

10. Jets4eva9011

Van Noy would be a good 2nd round choice, don't think he's worth an 18th overall selection. In that case, you have to go with the TE I think. Mosley might be an interesting selection, though.

11. al_toon_88

Eifert could turn into a player (even though I don't see it personally). That's not really my point.

But I would rather have Jordan Reed (and keep my 1st round pick) than Eifert (and my 3rd round pick).

You don't need to reach for a TE in the 1st round based off the latest random mock draft or positional ranking.

Jordan Cameron was a 4th rounder.

If Graham is just "very good" in your book, your list of who's "great" must be very short.

This team desperately needs an impact offensive playmaker who can come in and make plays right away like Cordarelle Patterson, Julio Jones, AJ Green, or even Tavon Austin, who had a mini-breakout late last year.

#31 al_toon_88, Jan 24, 2014
  12. Jets4eva9011

Graham is a great TE (obviously not saying he isn't). I'm saying I'm not sure he'd have the "same numbers" on most of the other teams. He's still a top 3 TE in the league. The only negative about Graham is really that his blocking isn't the greatest.

I do agree that an impact offensive playmaker is needed more than a TE, but a good TE is needed as well.

13. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

You can't be serious. Did you just say Roddy White was awful? He is one of the best and most durable WR's in the NFL. He didn't miss a game until this season, 7 or 8 years into his career. He's been to 4 Pro Bowls and made 1st team All Pro which is a huge feat at the WR position.

He wasn't pretty awful until Julio Jones showed up. His best season was in 2010, the year before Julio Jones was even drafted. You may not like the guy but his production and consistency before this season, which the Falcons tanked as a team, is some of the best in the NFL. The Jets would be so lucky to have a Roddy White.

14. Jets4eva9011

He had to have been thinking of someone else.

15. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

#18 pick: Jordan Matthews
    2nd round pick: Brandon Coleman (I can't wait to see how this guy performs at the combine. His numbers would have been crazy if he had a legit QB at Rutgers.)

16. al_toon_88

The fact that Eifert, even as a 1st rounder, split time is sort of my point.

Funny that you bring up Gresham. He was a 1st rounder, too. I think you would agree he's "just a guy." If he was more than that, they wouldn't have taken Eifert.

What makes you think Ebron can come in and be an every-down player his rookie year, or even his 2nd year?

If not, you're just drafting for the future.

And you're drafting a position, I would argue, with one of the highest bust ratios and where so few difference makers actually emerge, regardless of where they were drafted.

You can count on one hand the number of TEs with playmaking ability. If you play fantasy football, you know what I'm talking about.

#36 al_toon_88, Jan 24, 2014
  17. NCJetsfan

No I wasn't, but guess I was remember his first two years in the NFL 2005 and 2006 when he didn't start and something like 29 and 30 catches and going on what I've seen when I've seen the Falcons play. I don't follow NFC teams closely, don't pay attention to the Pro Bowl or stats, so didn't realize he had turned into an 80 catch per season, 1200 yard WR. I haven't seen the Falcons play very often over the last 5 years or so (maybe 3-4 times), but the times I have seen him, he never had a big game and didn't look like anything special to me.

Thanks for pointing out that he's much better than I realized. Maybe I'll actually get to see him play well at some point.

18. Jetscrazy87

Jetscrazy87 Member

C.J. Fiedorowicz has been making some noise at the senior bowl, I'm anxious to see him play tonight, if you can scoop him with our late 3rd I would be happy. Known to be a good blocker and receiver, great size at 6'7 240lbs 4.5-4.6 40 time, what's not to like?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1N65H9w-XM

19. NCJetsfan

I'm not sure he'll last until the late 3rd round. If the Jets get a WR in the 1st and Fiedorowicz is there in the 2nd or 3rd round, I hope they'll snap him up.

20. Jets4eva9011

I've seen him as much as like the 4th rated TE behind the top 3. Haven't seen him play a whole lot, but he does appear to be the best blocker of all the TE's in this draft by far, and he has great size and 40 time ability. How's his receiving ability, though?