What the playoffs tell us so far....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Jan 12, 2014.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

If Geno does that you'll hear nothing but kudos from me.

If he goes 20 TDs and 20 INTs, what will you say?

_

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Rex couldn't have been trying to emulate Sewerhawks OR 49ers.

Rex started coaching the Jets in 2009. Pete tagged along with Seahawks in 2010. Jimmy started coaching 49ers in 2011. Unless Rex foresaw what Seahawks and 49ers WOULD DO in the near future, he couldn't have been trying to emulate them. And Rex ALREADY had his mantra when he came along back in 2009 - he had his bravado, his intention to impose his will on the opposing defense through ground and pound attack, and suffocating defense.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I agree. It's more like Pete and Harbaugh saw how good Rex did his first two years with a rookie QB, A dominant defense, A good O-Line, and a top running game. B2B AFCCGs. Both of them probably thought "Hell if Rex could do it with a Rooke QB, then we should be able to do it even better with a really OK QB".

So far they've been right.

#103 Footballgod214, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This is what I want the Jets to be. The tougher team.

http://www.nbcsports.com/football/nfl/tougher-49ers-prevail-await-seahawks

Tougher 49ers prevail, await Seahawks
    Kaepernick, 49ers prove toughness still matters in pass-happy NFL

[​IMG]

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Forgive a moment of nostalgia: Pro football used to be like this. That’s not to say that football was better or worse in the days before high-flying offenses and 5,000-yard passing seasons (it was neither). It was just a little bit different. There weren’t as many dazzling plays, as many highlight moments, it was a time before GIFs plastered the Internet.

The tougher team, it seemed, would win most of the time.

That’s an absurd cliché, of course, “the tougher team.” What is tougher? What does that even mean? Tougher physically? Tougher mentally? Tougher emotionally? It wasn’t something we could quantify, exactly. But it was an inescapable part of the game in the 1960s and 1970s and so on. Teams, the great ones -- Lombardi’s Packers, the No-Name-Defense Dolphins, the Steel Curtain Steelers -- would come at opponents again and again and again until they relented, until they broke, until they melted down.

And, it seemed, in those days, the opponents ALWAYS melted down.

Football is different now. You probably know, this year was the highest scoring season in NFL history. Teams scored more points per game (23.4), completed more passes per game (21.7), picked up more first downs per game (19.9) and gained more total yards per game (348.5) than in any season ever. Peyton Manning threw for an absurd 55 touchdown passes. Drew Brees threw for 5,000 yards for the fourth time in his career. A guy who started the season as a backup, Nick Foles, finished with the third-highest passer rating in NFL history -- ahead of Tom Brady, Steve Young and Joe Montana’s best seasons.

Wide open. That’s football. The way to win in 2013 was by throwing like crazy and getting into the end zone as fast as possible and holding on for dear life. Fun. Thrilling. Different.

But it’s 2014 now. It’s January now. And Sunday in Charlotte, the San Francisco 49ers crunched the Carolina Panthers not by out-scheming them or outflanking them or throwing over the top. Their quarterback, Colin Kaepernick did not throw for 300 yards -- heck, he didn’t throw for 200. He only threw one touchdown pass. San Francisco only scored two.

No, the 49ers crunched the Panthers 23-10 because they were the tougher team. (click the link to keep reading)

5. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

The weather and the fact that almost all these teams that do rely on passing offenses have hideous defenses so they (New England, Green Bay, Denver) have to use the running game more than they're accustomed to to protect their lousy defenses. Even Payton and the Saints were going conservative in both their playoff games.

6. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

They've certainly bettered Rex's formula...you do kinda need better than league-worst QB play (which we've had for about three and a half of the last five years) to win that way. Plus those teams have actual playmakers on defense - until this year we've really had none aside from the CB position.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Seahawks have found a lot of play makers late in the draft. If you keep hitting on your 5th and 6th round picks you're golden because those guys are cheap on the cap for 4 or 5 years.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I recall reading about that.

Carroll had this stacks of scouting report from his college coaching days - he brought the whole chunk with him when he got to Seattle. He knew which player was a fantastic deal at the low round picks - and the scouting department did their due diligence - and they found a lot of good guys in the mid to low round picks as a consequence.

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

My post that you quoted was in response to the baseless claim that Smith got less run support than Kaep and Wilson. I quoted the rushing totals for each team as a simple rejoinder to that claim, establishing that the Jets actually rushed for equal or slightly better numbers than either Seattle or San Fran on a yards per play basis, and about the same total yardage.

I wondered if anyone would take the bait of referring to Smith's contribution to the rushing total. Not sure whether you did that or just missed the context.

First of all the fact that Smith contributed more to the rushing total than Sanchez did does not mean two things. It one does not mean that Smith got less support than Wilson or Kaep, which I will return to. But second it also does not mean that Smith got less run support than Sanchez, because that is not the case.

The Jets ran for a 4.4 average in 2013, while only 3.8 in 2012. Partly that was due to Tebow, who with a 3.2 average dragged down the overall team average some. And Sanchez himself gained only 28 yards on 22 attempts, for a 1.3 average. Yes, another thing the buttfumble guy sucked at. But mostly it was that Shonn Greene was mediocre at the lead back - while gaining 1063 yards, he only ran for a 3.9 average. No wonder the Jets were so mediocre in 2012 in running the ball.

Total rushing yardage in 2012 was 1896 on 494 attempts. In 2013 it was (as I mentioned yesterday) 2158 on 493 attempts, one less for the whole season.

Smith, to his credit (at least somewhat) helped contribute more to the rushing total and to yards per carry, carrying it 72 times for 366 yards, a 5.1 average. So yes he slightly raised the ypc number, but nowhere near made up for the difference with that 3.8 number for 2012.. And of course in running those 72 times he took carries away from other runners in terms of the total. Meanwhile Ivory ran for 833 and a 4.6 average - less total yards than Greene but much more effective per carry. (Powell interestingly had the same ypc number in both years - he did not improve in running it, in short.)

So, on one hand Smith contributed to the run total far more than Sanchez did, and to the ypc as well.

but on the other Smith also got more run support than Sanchez in ypc. And Smith did not have to see his run support eroded by the wasted efforts to get Tebow in the game, as Muck did, poor devil.

But when it comes to run support compared to Wilson and Kaep, the argument merely reinforces that Smith got MORE support than they did, since Kaep ran for 521 and Wilson for 539. Subtract those from their team rushing totals, and the Jets rushers exclusive of the Qb ran for MORE yards than those on both San Fran and Seattle.

In short Smith got MORE rush support than both Wilson and Kaepernick.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It will be interesting to see if they can continue that late round success as he is further removed from his college days. They're going to need to since eventually everyone is going to want to get paid and they can't pay 'em all.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

good point.

12. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

What I got from the playoffs is Bill B up in NE is the only capable coach in the NFL and he can coach forever if he wanted to and still succeed. Its scary how good this guy is, cheating or not he has it figured out.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't doubt this at all. Carroll hired Schneider after he came on the job and I'm sure a big part of the deal was that Schneider would pick the guys Carroll wanted for the team.

This also brings up how bad the Jets scouting department and college talent evaluation has been over the years. The Jets have looked good at times because Parcells left them a deep talent base and then they had a deep draft in 2006 and cherry-picked correctly in 2007 and Woody Johnson spent a ton of money on free agents from 2007 to 2009.

It's time for a professional talent evaluation regime to take over for the Jets. Hopefully John Idzik will oversee that process. If he can't get that basic change accomplished then the Jets are going to sink into the muck over the next decade.

14. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

It shows that our talent level is way below what is required to move up to the elite of the NFL :sad:

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Exactly right Cham. Therein lies the challenge for Rex and his coaching staff. In many of the key positions we have mediocre talent at best. For example OL, WR, OLB, and safety.

In response to the OP, I mostly agree with his assessment, except to add that we have hugely underestimated that the key to their success is a damned good OL. IMHO the teams that have surfaced to the top have indeed demonstrated that it takes more that just an Elite QB, as important as that might be, but also the need for a strong, suffocating D, and a solid running game to control the clock and open up the pass. Thas what has made SF and Seattle and even NE successful in bad weather and cause the Colts and the Saint to fail. None of that is possible without a superior offensive line.

16. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Elite QB play, and running game/great defense are synonymous to each other. An elite QB can only carry their team so far before getting bounced early in the playoffs and a great run game/great defense team will go down to the wire in hopes of making it to the playoffs.

17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Did you even read the rest of my post? Do you have a rebuttal or we just nitpicking terminology? I was under the impression that I explained it pretty thoroughly. Not everything is white and black. You drool over guys like Wilson & Kaepernick, when they have great teams already in place. Put one on the Jets it's not a huge difference because overall offensive talent level is incredibly lower. Ask Wilson or Kaepernick to carry a depleted team without a good deep threat and then we'll talk. They get the majority of their yards by deep shots. Being way better than Sanchez doesn't make them great, either. Geno has a similar skillset to both, except he passes much more than he runs. He's got the speed to get it done, though. Wilson may be a diamond in the rough, but CK is way over rated. Surrounding Geno with talent needs to the be #1 priority for this off season.

#117 Barcs, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  18. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

I agree with Barcs, Lets give this guy Geno someone to throw too and a little more protection. I think he is getting the feel of when to take off from the pocket and run and
    to throw it away when nothing is there. Will be interesting to see what he does next year.

19. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I read your entire post but I was struck by your opinion that Wilson and Kaep are just "slightly" better than Geno. I think they are--in isolation--much much better and put in similar circumstances, Wilson and Kaep would put up much more production. JMHO. Put all 3 on a depleted team or put all 3 on a stacked team and I think Wilson and Kaep would be more productive than Geno. I feel both of those guys are better throwers, MUCH better runners (Geno is not as fast or as naturally dynamic of a runner) and have higher football IQs. Not saying Geno is bad, I just don't think he's close to either of those guys in terms of pure physical talent or in the mental aspect of the game.

My point had nothing to do with surrounding or not surrounding Geno with talent. Just a relative opinion of the 3 players. If you started a 3 team league and you asked GMs who they'd pick 1, 2 and 3, Geno would be 3 by a fair margin.

Can't be proven one way or another, but if you were to ask non-Jet fans, I think they'd agree.

_

20. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Yeah... I disagree. Go take a look at his record before tom was drafted and entered the scene for him. Without Brady, bill is a no body. Just like he was in Cleveland and how he was in New England before #12