Jameis Winston

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Poeman, Jan 7, 2014.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

This. Winston gets credit for the big comeback but if not for that botched play by Davis for the massive gainer, Winston is the goat of that game and Auburn is the National Champ. Winston was totally pedestrian up until that play.

_

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

This. We can't lose sight of the fact he is a redshirt FRESHMAN when analyzing this game and/or comparing him to other prospects, past, present or future. I've been guilty of it myself as earlier in the season, I thought he was somewhat overrated but that was through the lens of the draft. So before saying this or that guy is better, take a step back as I did and consider if this or that guy was better in his first year playing.

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

His stance in the pocket when releasing the ball, throwing motion, though not as quick, and general posture reminds me A LOT of John Elway. Maybe it's the baseball background. I need to see if I can get 2 images to compare.

4. aburre

aburre Member

Rashad Greene dropped multiple passes and is the reason they had to go for the fake punt in the first place. He dropped a pass on the game winning drive that would have been a TD.

Kelvin Benjamin had a problem with drops this whole season

It's also interesting to note that it has been confirmed that Dameyune Craig, his mentor and a former FSU coach was stealing their signals and knew what plays were coming before they happened. After FSU starting covering their signals, they starting moving the ball at ease

5. aburre

aburre Member

Winston has a relatively quick release on short throws, it's the long throws that he sort of winds up on. Being a pitcher has sort of affected his mechanics and even he has admitted that

There are obvious drawbacks to playing both sports, however. Injuries present a serious risk, and Winston admitted that pitching may have thrown off his mechanics on the football field at times.

"Sometimes I throw with my shoulder up, from flipping the ball over in baseball season," Winston said. "Sometimes in football I won't put my hips to my target."

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I don't remember Kapernick using this excuse. Winston knows his mechanics need work, great, but to use baseball as an excuse is weak.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't see it as an "excuse," but rather a realistic acknowledgement of a flaw he needs to correct. How is it "weak" for a player to realize he has a flaw and acknowledge what the root of the flaw is and that he needs to correct it. Nothing about what he said or the way he said it sounded to me like he was just making an "excuse." I think of an "excuse" as a means of trying to let one's self off the hook, and make little or no effort to change or improve. Nothing indicates that is the case with Winston. He sounds like he knows that he intends to fix it, and probably knows that at some point he's going to have to choose between baseball and football because of it.

8. NCJetsfan

Are you sure about that? I don't recall that at all. For half the ball game, Greene was the only sure-handed WR they had. He was the only one to catch a pass and had a bunch of receptions.

9. JStokes

Relative to whom? His release on all throws is elongated. Something he'll fix no doubt, but he does not have a quick release by any stretch.

_

#49 JStokes, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  10. aburre

aburre Member

I think guys like you are over blowing how elongated his release is. I mean show me some video of his release compared to someone you think has a quick release

11. aburre

aburre Member

Yes, he dropped the pass that they could have got a first down on in the first half. After his drop, the ran the fake punt. On the game winning drive he ran an underneath route and could have easily got into the endzone but he dropped it.

12. JStokes

You think his release is anywhere as quick as Teddy's? Manziel's? Carr's? It's not.

I'm not saying his release is Tebow-like, it's not a windmill, but he's got to tighten it up a bit. He's young, he can do that.

But he does not have a quick release. Not now.

_

13. aburre

aburre Member

Teddy is deadly accurate and the ball just flies out his hands on intermediate routes, but he really struggles with deep ball accuracy. Jameis doesn't have that problem, he's thrown some of the prettiest passes, especially deep passes that I've seen this year. I just don't think his release is a problem. It may be a little elongated, but it doesn't look like it will hinder his career to me

14. aburre

aburre Member

I'll post some examples

15. aburre

aburre Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN3xBL9RE9Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9bxAAc9870

throw at :35 in second video

His passes do come out a little funny though, and that's because he has a damaged finger and he can't properly grip the ball. People probably don't know that about him though because they weren't paying attention early in the season

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. NCJetsfan

Whoa, I hadn't seen/heard about that before. How in the world does the kid grip a baseball?

17. aburre

aburre Member

I have no idea, it's amazing this kid throws a 90+ mph fastball though

18. dannymac910

dannymac910 Member

If you think Winston is gonna be a bust and Manziel has a chance, you're nuts.

19. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Winston has some work to do to sure up the spot that he was hyped up to. It's easy to call him as a future #1 when he's not eligible, but as we get into next year and people start watching him more as a prospect than just assuming things from his success at FSU things will change. He CAN be the #1 guy, but he has to work things to hold off other guys who have great talent and can easily jump him like Petty and Mariotta.

20. JStokes

Agreed, well said.

_