taking draft spot into account WR/ TE

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Murrell2878, Jan 9, 2014.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

At this point in time, I can't rank Benjamin high enough for the 18th selection, I have him around #25. I think Lee will be available if we go WR at 18.

2. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I would be happy with Evans or Lee but it might not be an option with us at #18 but I would like one of the top TE's, Ebron or Amaro.

3. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Ebron is the closest thing to an "all around" TE. Amaro is a WR in a TE's body and has a higher ceiling, but a much lower floor than Ebron. While I like Amaro, I think Ebron would be a better fit in our offense.

The only red flag I have with Ebron, he occasionally drops an easy pass and makes incredible double coverage catches.

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Kirk Cousins was drafted in the 4th. Stop making things up to improve your argument. Mike Glennon had a decent rookie season. He also possesses far greater arm talent than any of the guys you mentioned.

This is a decent draft for QB at the top and a decent crop in the mid to late rounds for depth. There is not that second tier of guys like Dalton, Kapernik, or Wilson who had starter traits but some concerns. After the top three or 4 guys the drop off in talent is steep. We can waste a pick that should be netting us an impact player in rotation or a starter on a fringe talent.

None of the guys you mention should be a day two pick.

5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

His physical talent is elite, but I think his head is what is holding him back. he's a classic case of a guy that should stay in school and get another year of experience, but I think his being 23 at draft time may lead him to want to make the jump.

I would gladly take him at 18 if Watkins and Evans are off the board. I see him developing into an impact chain moving receiver who is a physical mismatch for most NFL Dbacks.

6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Staying in school would have been a better option, especially with his returning QB. I think he could be a Top 5 pick in 2015, I only see mid/late Rd 1 at best.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

3rd or 4th it doesn't make a difference - and I am not making things up to improve my already sensible argument. The Jets need to upgrade the QB position. Geno has not proven himself to be a 10 year starter.

If the Jets have an eye for a QB like Mettenberger (who has exceptional arm strength) or Fales (who has exceptional accuracy compared to his peers in this draft other then Bridgewater) - they will draft him. And guess what round it will be in? 3. Those 2 QBs I listed, have special traits that translate well to the NFL - and with coaching could prove to be starters at the next level.

The position needs upgrading and if the Jets feel one of these guys are the BPA and can improve the position (and maybe become a starter for the Jets). Again, the Jets will select them.

Mettenberger, Fales or Garoppolo all have concerns but can also be starters at the next level. They are no different then Dalton or Kaepernick, or Nick Foles especially. They have traits to succeed at the next level.

I recommend instead of throwing a hissy fit, to learn more about those QBs.

#27 101GangGreen101, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  8. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I thought he was pretty much invisible for most of the championship game, which is a red flag to me. But the bigger red flag, and it's just hearsay, was when the commentator mentioned that Greene was the only WR that stuck around at practice and wanted to improve with Winston, and their chemistry showed. If true, that's a work ethic red flag to me. He's got to want it.

9. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

Give me Amaro and Davante Adams or Brandon Coleman and I think you'll have something

10. laxin

laxin Active Member

I cant speak of the work ethic thing, but Winston was under pressure the whole game, and Benjamin usually runs intermediate to deep routes which didnt have time to develop.

11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I think Benjamin will be great. IMO he's the second best receiver prospect behind Watkins.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Vernon Davis is one of the people I was thinking about when I made the comment. Drafted in 2006 but the 49ers weren't any good until 2011. That's a huge span of time in which a good draft pick didn't help them all that much.

He was a great player at times during that span but a great TE isn't worth all that much in a vacuum.

Doesn't mean anything but since 2000 there have been 17 TE's taken in the 1st round and their teams are a cumulative 9 games worse with them than they were the year before. This includes a huge leap by one team. The Jets went +5 from 2007 to 2008 and we know Brett Favre and a bunch of free agents came on board that year alongside Dustin Keller.

#32 Br4d, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You are looking for that one guy that fits perfectly - instead of looking at our potential draft class as an entire value (hitting on several picks on offense to rebuild it). I hope this draft class helps the Jets become a better team - we have many holes to fill, we can get the BPA and at the same time fill a need - draft just shouldn't always be about the BPA and that alone, you need a small % of impact / need on team.

Look at the Cowboys back when Johnson was getting football players, he was hitting on multiple picks in the draft - not just that one world beater. I want a solid draft class that works towards bringing us a good receiving TE, and a good wide receiver.

You look at Vernon Davis now and you wish we could have a weapon like that playing for us. The investment was well worth it for the 49ers.

14. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Can't agree, Lee and Evans are better and more NFL ready, in fact Jordan Matthews is more polished and NFL ready too.

Benjamin would do better staying in school another year, he made a mistake.

15. rock316nyj

rock316nyj Member

I think of all the guys who will be available at 18, Benjamin has the most upside. Lee may be a very good receiver, but I do not see him being a #1. Benjamin, at 6-5 235, COULD develop into that guy who requires double coverage all the time, something we haven't had in god knows how long.

The guy has tremendous leaping ability, great body control with the ability to grab the ball at its highest point, and if I'm not mistaken is supposedly faster than a guy like Evans who I'm not completely sold on. For those saying it might be a reach to take him at 18 b/c he is projected to go late first rd, I'll say wait for the combine and watch him shoot up draft boards.

16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Your really turning into the second coming of Junc the way your basically making some very average QB prospects like they are something great.

.....and the difference between pick 80 and 102, where Cousins was drafted, is very significant. You made a point of him getting draft in the third to back up why we should take an average prospect in the third and were flat out wrong or lying.

Geno may not be a 10 year starter, but not improving the areas of the team that we can grab very good talent, actual talent that belongs at the front of the draft, to pick up a so-so QB is plain fucking dumb. Go after a mid level QB that needs time later in the draft unless you think you have a guy that can start from day one. We do not have the luxery of depth to let a project sit on the sidelines.

17. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

the kid is already 22 years old, going to be 23 on Feb 5.

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Age has nothing to do with experience. He was a red shirt sophomore with only one full year as a starter under his belt.

19. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

^

Answered the concern.

Benjamin is a physical freak, but could use another year to refine his game. He would have his QB to help his game, and be a potential top 10 pick in 2015. I think you will be disappointed where Benjamin goes in 2014's draft. Hate his route running, not disciplined.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You make good points, but what if the red flag about is work ethic is accurate? Then it wouldn't matter how much talent he has unless Rex and the CS could change his attitude.