With the 18th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Axel3419, Dec 29, 2013.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

All the way to 18 :grin:

_

2. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I look at it this way. If he weren't a d-bag, you'd hear more people other than himself coming to his defense. But it seems like he's always on an island dealing with it himself. I think there's probably a reason for that. Kind of like what Jimmy Clausen was going into college. And he was kind of on an island for 4 years.

3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Don't really like jumping in on the far fetched what-if's but but if he did drop to 18 there is probably a reason to be wary.

If by chance it was just a fluke that he dropped that far then what is the value of the pick to trade out of it. Maybe they get to drop back a few spots and pick up an extra 2nd and 3rd rounder.

I don't feel he is as sure fire a pick so if they were able to pick up an extra 2nd and 3rd for dropping back a few I am more for that.

4. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

Rather get a top notch guard at 18 than Clinton Dix

5. JStokes

The only segement killing him is some in the media--and not even all of them--just the sanctimonious ones.

We're all victims of the media it seems--"Manziel is out on an island all by himself". Not fully buying it.

His teammates love him.

_

6. MikeSLTJ23

I meant with the media. I'm saying if people are tarnishing his reputation, I haven't heard anyone really come to his defense. That's what I find to be the most damning evidence.

7. JStokes

I find it damning that you put any credence in what the media says :grin:

The phrase "haters gonna hate" actually means something. I put no stock in it--it's all BS used to sell papers/blogs/etc.

_

8. MikeSLTJ23

Haha you're probably right. I like to come off on the internet like I'm some level-headed person (which I probably don't succeed with), but I'm very excitable and way too gullible from these reports sometimes haha. All I need is for a report to come out tomorrow that he saved a dog from a burning fire and he's my new favorite player and the Jets should trade up to #1 to grab him, even though he lost the use of his throwing hand in the fire.

9. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Jonathan Paul Manziel, Quarterback, Texas A&M

J-J-J-Johnny and the Jets

10. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Dont get ur hopes up... Browns or Jags will take him.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not sold on Dix by any means, but with the exception of center, I'd rather have him or any other position drafted at 18 than OG. IMO unless your team is deep and set at every spot except one OG position, you don't draft an OG that high. You might as well just forfeit the pick.

12. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Well 2013's draft was different and you should know why with Jonathan Cooper and Warmack both drafted #7 & #10 respectfully.

I was and I'm still a huge Jonathan Cooper fan, too bad his season was cut short. I've been following the draft for too many years to count and both players were probably 2 of the best guards in recent memory.

I agree, you generally don't draft OG's that high, due to value and the the how NFL is structed with the salary cap, but both Coop and Warmack were exceptions.

If available at #9, Cooper was my first choice for the Jets last Spring. I remember hearing some behind the scenes stuff that the Jets were interested in Cooper and the Tavon Austin interest was a smokescreen. I just don't think the Jets thought Dee Milliner was going to fall to #9, he was projected to go higher. In fact, if Milliner was gone, Richardson would have been the pick at #9, he was their 4th best rated player on their board.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that Cooper and Warmack, as well as Iupati a year or two earlier were topflight OG prospects, much better than most, and warranted a higher selection. Teams that were pretty much set and just wanted to further upgrade their OL could afford to take them. I just think that with all the Jets holes that taking one of them would have been a mistake. OG is not an impact position imo. Taking one in the 1st round just eventually escalates their contract and cap value too high for an interior lineman, and means that a team will eventually be unable to spend that money on better OTs or skill position players.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Titans took Sheldon Richardson or Star Lotulelei instead of Chance Warmack they are probably in the playoffs this year.

15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Look at their former Head Coach and his DNA, the pick wasn't a surprise.

16. Br4d

Look at the teams Munchak played on. One of the greatest guards of all time and his teams are playing less than .500 for his career. That's the definition of not where you want your best player to be.

17. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

That's a huge leap right there.

18. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I agree, I thought the Titans needed to stop the run, for their situation Warmack wasn't a good choice.

19. Br4d

Titan's run D was mediocre all year long. They lost @ Houston giving up 172 yds on the ground, @KC giving up 120, @Seattle giving up 151, against SF giving up 153, against Indy giving up 137, @Indy giving up 104 and against Arizona giving up 145.

Most of those losses were close and the Titans just could not shut down the opposing run game.

Panthers and the Jets were #2 and #3 against the run and Lotulelei and Richardson were a big part of that.

20. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I understand all that, but to say a rookie DT could swing a team's record 2 full games is a stretch.

I think the fact that Ryan Fitzpatrick quarterbacked this team for the majority of the season is the reason they missed the playoffs.