Jets coulda been in playoffs if

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by section134, Jan 1, 2014.

1. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Now that is pure conjecture....

2. 1968jetsfan

In what world does the defense that gives up the 13th most points in the league equate to a 10-6 defense? In case you didn't notice the pass defense was pretty lame.

3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

We had a defense that's good enough to win with. The Jets had the 11th best defense in the league this season.

4. New England Patriots

New England Patriots Well-Known Member

Huh? The Patriots weren't winning that game at the time of the FG.

5. New England Patriots

New England Patriots Well-Known Member

Serious or not? I can't tell.

6. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

our defense was average at best... in addition to being pretty horrible against the pass, and allowing tons of big plays down field, we also did so against mostly pathetic offenses.

last years defense wasnt good. there is a reason we are in the market for 1 or 2 safties, 2 or 3 linebackers, a corner, and an edge rusher.

7. jerseyjay14

no... they really dont. which is why you have good teams sometimes have awful seasons and bad teams finish with good records.

the jets last year where a 4-5 win team talent wise. us getting to 8-8 was nothing short of a miracle, and the only reason rex ryan still has a job

8. jerseyjay14

Yup... i mean, who did we beat?

-the pats, in OT with the help of a crazy call
    -a horrible pathetic bucs team, at home, thanks mostly to a boneheaded penalty
    -the bills(barely hung on) in manuals 3rd game. they crushed us the 2nd game
    -atlanta a bad team this year, who lost julio jones, in a 3 point game
    -saints, who were pretty bad on the road
    -raiders, browns, dolphins

thats mostly craptastic teams with horrible QBs in our own stadium.

9. The 1985er

They were great against the run

10. jerseyjay14

so in other worse, we scraped by some bad teams at home and got blown out in every other instance.

that doesnt sound like a .500 team. sounds like a fortunate team

11. The 1985er

We beat the 12-4 Pats, 11-5 Saints, 8-8 Dolphins team that needed a win to get in the playoffs. Then if the Jets are fortunate then every team is fortunate.

12. 1968jetsfan

Except it counts, in points allowed the Jets ranked 13th from the bottom...just a little worse than the league average.

Meanwhile the Jets ranked third from the bottom in points scored. Slightly below worse than average in points allowed, bottom of the barrel in points scored.

As far as yardage, if as you suggest, the points scored ratio was due to blow outs then it also figures the other team was running the ball and the clock thus lowering the yardage allowed by the defense. Hint, 11th ranked defenses don't get blown out as often as you seem to indicate in your previous arguments.

13. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

How can you be AT BEST a 6-10 team but finish 8-8? You realize that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Yeah the Jets overachieved record wise, but your statement is ridiculously worded.

14. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Yeah I think they had a shot at beating Cincy and maybe even San Diego. Also, we know we could have had a chance at beating New England, based on the fact that both games vs. them this season were down to the wire.

Anything can happen in January, so it's silly to count any team out. No one expected us to make a run in 2009-2010 (same could be said for both of the SB Giants teams and many others). However, the Jets need to play better during the regular season to make the big boy dance, so no excuses here. Hopefully the Jets can compete in the next few years (I think we are still a year away from being a playoff team, but in 2 years we will hopefully start a stretch of consecutive playoff appearances)

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm pretty sure that if you took all of the teams in NFL history that had a -6 pts per game point differential and lined them up sequentially by record that the Jets would be at or near the top records of all time with that differential.

I also think that if you took all the 8-8 teams of all time and lined them up by point differential per game that the Jets would be at or near the bottom of the list.

What they accomplished this year given the talent available was pretty amazing.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Points allowed is perhaps the most significant defensive stat when analyzing a TEAM, but since poor offensive performance, particularly turnovers, particularly pick sixes, directly affect points allowed, it is not the best stat for analyzing the D isolated from a problematic O.

Smith was a turnover machine this year, and one has to acknowledge that led to many points scored against the Jets.

Take the yards allowed ranking, particularly yards per play, and factor in points allowed only by the D and you will not find the Jets D ranked at 13th worst. It is better than that. I'd say around fifteenth, and that is with Milliner cutting his teeth, Cro injured, and generally crap play from the safeties.

17. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

How can U say that when Cinncy totally destroyed us in the regular season? :sad:

18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

NE, I'm only addressing the assumption that the Pats winning that game was inevitable (i.e. in the midst of the contention of yet "another referee-gifted win" for the Jets). And per my other previous post ("could've, should've, would've, etc...DIDN'T") ....the Jets didn't, period, so nothing really matters (and as with others here, I'm of the opinion they're not an 8-8 team yet talent-wise).

19. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Am I crazy or would the Jets as a #6 seed have beaten Cincy in Cincy even after that surprise beating we took earlier in the year (still can't figure that out, relative to our wins over Saints/Pats or even how we played on the road overall).

I think as the #5 seed we would have lost to Luck and the Colts.

JMHO, nothing scientific at all.

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

If I do recall correctly the Patriots beat us 45-3 during the 2010 season and then we beat them in the playoffs. Each game is its own beast.