Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Mangold Goldman, Jan 4, 2014.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd definitely love to see Matthews become a Jet. Going to Vandy, he's no dummy. He has to be disciplined since he's such a good route runner. I'll bet his uncle has coached him up a lot. He also is used to playing against top level competition playing in the SEC. He has great hands. I agree he would be a very safe pick and would probably come in and play at a high level immediately.

2. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I think all the of those guys have their upside.

Benjamin is more physically imposing.

Cooks is more explosive.

Addams is a big playmaker.

I just think Matthews is a better all around receiver. I might take Benjamin ahead of him depending on what his weight looks like near the draft.

Btw, I absolutely love Paul Richardson from Colorado. He would be a nice pick up in the 3rd.

3. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

2-4th round, not sure where he fits in terms of the draft right now but I really like some things about Donte MonCrief, he's got some game to him, not a burner but....

4. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen him play, but smart WRs with great route running and even an average skillset tend to fare better than elite talents that never hone their abilities. From the way you guys talk of him, I think I would definitely prefer him to Lee. Route running and hands are the two most important aspects in my opinion, and as someone else said, he could be the safest bet if what you guys say about him is true.

If he's actually a late 1st or early 2nd, I wouldn't be opposed to using our 1st and trading up with our 2nd and 3rd or 2nd and 4th (whatever the value chart roughly equates to). Or hell, just take him with the 18th pick if they like him enough. This game is now as much about smarts as it is about talent.

5. jdub03

jdub03 Active Member

While researching this year WR's, I came across two links with metric breakdowns on some of the top WR's coming out.

Since, I can't post links the website is: Second round stats .com.

They compare data metrics on: Sammy Watkins, Jordan Matthews, & Brandin Cooks, Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, Jarvis Landry, and Allen Robinson

Very interesting stuff. I like what the metrics tell me about Brandin Cooks.

6. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Very good site that I forgot about... I used it a lot last year, thanks for the reminder about it

Breaking Down the Metrics of Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, Jarvis Landry, and Allen Robinson

2014 Top Wide Receivers: Sammy Watkins, Brandin Cooks, and Jordan Matthews

#26 dwalsh, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  7. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

He's played in all 26 games in his last two seasons, where he's had 16 100+ yard games. In that same period, he only had 4 games with 3-5 receptions, and he never went lower than that. It's not like he had great quarterbacks throwing to him, either.

It would be nice if the Jets can trade down 3-5 spots and take him in the first round, but I wouldn't mind "reaching" for such a consistent performer at a position of need with the 18th pick.

8. He's a border line 1st round talent.Don't underestimate his speed either..according to Ole Miss coaches(per ESPN telecast) he's easily the fastest player on the Rebels who are LOADED w/ athletes & speed.

6'3 225 above average speed & multiple years of SEC production w/ an average QB doesn't lie. He's actually a pretty similar prospect to Matthews

A few other WR thoughts:

- Paul Richardson scares me a bit. Can't deny his college production & dominance but there isn't much to get behind physically.Average speed, good not great size..I guess he has good body control though.

-I am not a fan of Allen Robinson at all. He has great physical tools but ran sloppy routes all year & dropped quite a few balls in the games I saw of him.