Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Wow. I didn't go out today so it is surprising to know Columbia and Eisenhower were bad. I am leaving home at 8 to join a party though. I hope the roads are nice enough.

Hey Barry. It is a rain event as of 6:19 PM ET on the news.

2. Marshall76

Marshall76 Member

We only got about 9''. Are you expecting the rain to be enough to take all the snow away?

3. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Really tough call...I dont think so only because the ground is soooo frozen at this point...i highly doubt it. Back into the freezer right after it.

NWS continues to hint at the precip sunday starting frozen...snow/sleet and or freezing rain and holding on a bit longer than I see..and they could be right, especially up north.

Regardless, it will be rain monday...perhaps turning back to snow before it ends and the temps will be dropping 2 or 3 degrees at least every hour until they settle around zero or below for some overnight monday. Temps will drop anywhere from 45 to 50 degrees in a 12 hour span. Pretty wild.

Very cold Tuesday with highs not hitting 10 for some..0 at night..the a bit warmer Wednesday...teens and 0 at night again before 20s and single digits thursday night.

Friday could have a small disturbance come through with a 1 to 3 event..and have to watch that one just in case...and then from that point on every 3 days the same kind of event...nothing big.

Now any of these could get a right formula that turns into something much bigger..just that right now no model is showing that..but they all show something so will keep an eye out each day.

Then around the 15th to the 17th...the models have shown a much bigger storm.

Now really long term, Super Bowl...the chances that game gets lucky with 40s type stuff is less than 20 percent because the pattern we are in right now as we will see on Monday is that every 10 days, we get a 1 or 2 day warmup. That pattern goes into February. Not that we will be in the freezer other days but below normal.

Another thing to keep an eye on is starting with that 15th or around storm, we will reenter the same pattern we have seen all winter...disturbances every 3 to 5 days...that will carry past the Super Bowl. So if you add up the pattern and chances, safe bet would be that a storm might hit several days before...several days after..or on the day. The pattern does get very active again and this time in prime winter storm time frame.

Last 2 weeks of January and first 2 weeks of February have always been considered our areas prime time for the really big ones. Something we can track as it gets closer.

Have a great one guys and girls and will update some time tomorrow about any changes for Sunday/Monday storm.

#4743 jaywayne12, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Drove home over a couple of backroads last night about midnight. Temperature was -1 to 1 the whole way and I had to go to ice driving mode in 2nd gear and in the middle whenever possible. Haven't had the car skate like that in a long time.

5. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

I was pulling my e-break around turns last night. Oh how i miss the early years of life.

:rofl:

6. Marshall76

Marshall76 Member

I love snow events

but after 35 years of living in New England, this cold streak really, really sucks.

7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Just went out,,,no freezing rain thank goodness,,,,,in fact no precip at all,,,,,looking forward to indoors with a fire going watching football,,,especially the packers / 9 ers

8. wexy

wexy Member

Was slippery out this morning. Park a couple of blocks away from the bagel store and
    a clear sidewalk was just ice and I almost fell three times.

9. jaywayne12

lots of ice around here..pretty crazy how long the cold air has held on for.

Crazy day..may not be on till much later or tomorrow. Not much other than rain overnight and then mucho cold air tomorrow evening.

10. jaywayne12

Sorry I was not around to give a baby heads up on today but even if I was, no model was saying the cold air would hang on that long. Not sure about where everyone else is but Im sure it was the same...got really slippery outside the house and on local streets. Down the block from me, a couple of young drivers made the turn on to my street and ended up on the front lawn of my neighbor. Interesting to say the least.

Temps have climbed since and Im sure pretty much everyone is getting rain now. Rain will continue on and off overnight with perhaps a few heavy bursts but one thing is certain...the rain that will fall and the melting from that and the fast rising temps will cause minor flooding which will not be a big deal..until tomorrow evening and overnight.

Temps will start by late morning to drop. At some point in the afternoon, temps will be falling anywhere from 3 to 5 degrees an hour...going from near 50 late morning to below freezing by evening. Temps then will continue to drop until sometime overnight when they bottom out at 0 well north of NNJ..to around 3 to 6 down here.

That will cause flash freezing and the only thing that will keep the main roads ok with be the still available salt from the previous storm and constant driving by traffic. Side roads should be handled really carefully. Not sure I can ever remember this type of flash freezing. Its the perfect setup with still a lot of melting snow...rain etc.

After that, minor storm on Friday could bring 1 to 3 but certain models have tried to make it a bit stornger.

Then a week from Monday another small disturbance that could be rain or snow..and then a week from Wednesday models are signaling a much stronger storm that would probably be snow.

So thats it for now...expect really cold temps tomorrow night that should last several days.

Great football this weekend...that some great stuff except the Chargers. Two teams that fail miserably in the playoffs and one had to win.

Hope everyone is great...and will be on tomorrow counting down the temps as they fall. Might be close to a record breaker temp difference that could end up being close to 50 degrees over a 15 hour period.

#4750 jaywayne12, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  11. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

Parents got into an accident going down Mt. Fuji restaurant in Hillburn in the freezing rain yesterday. Nothing they could do. Dad was going 2 MPH and they couldn't avoid hitting a car stuck at the bottom of the hill. Bumper is all torn up now.

12. jaywayne12

I can see how that happened T. Went out briefly yesterday and the side roads? Incredible how bad it was. Expect the samething overnight tonight. Temps are dropping fast now and if you look at the roads, its just water everywhere..get temps to near zero overnight tonight and its going to be rough going. Expect to see salters out all night tonight in all areas would be my guess but once you start getting around 0...only so much that will help.

Top that off with temps in single digits tomorrow for highs and again near zero at least tomorrow night...just be careful everyone. My son, who just got his D.L. this year hits me with the fact he has all wheel drive...buzz...that will not help in the least.

Checking models now...looks like nothing special as of last night..will post if there are any changes...stay warm !!

13. jaywayne12

Quickly just looked at the radar and there is still a few bands of precip to get through..with dropping temps we might get a little snow so that might add to the overnight problem.

Be careful out there guys and girls.

14. jaywayne12

wind chills tonight will be around 10 to 15 below...wind chills during the day tomorrow even worse....15 to20 BELOW zero. Stronger winds tomorrow make it worse during the day.

Temps single digits tomorrow for highs...near zero tomorrow night.

15. jaywayne12

For the nonsnow lovers...nonsnow? new use...pattern long term seems to ease up a bit with temps and snows. Looks like we might have a 10 day break in nasty weather. The snows that the models showed long term are either much much lighter..or rain. Pattern seems like its in a reloading trend...happens in January and the big question is does it restart the pattern we have had...I really think it does but perhaps not until around the 20th.

Im sure there might be a surprise before that but nothing big for the near future...after this brutal cold spell the next several days.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

ugh,jay. snows not much fun when it disappears so fast. now here's my hope, there is nothing better than a full moon with a good layer of snow on the ground. looks like the next one is a bust since it will be next thursday and nothings happening. hope we can the timing right for february

17. jaywayne12

seems that way FJF...now plenty of time for change.

I just swtiched over the weather channel becasue Im really not concentrating how the cold air is coming in but it just said that NYC IS 30 RIGHT NOW..AND PHILLY IS -2?

Checking this out right now..if so..for so many reasons, one being nyc is further north than philly but philly on the map is technically further west. Im not sure what to make of that but that is the first in the universe...can promise you that. Checking now.

18. jaywayne12

ok...nws is showing philly at 21 and unless philly just went down 23 degrees in 20 minutes....will check their 11 pm readings. Regardless, while NYC was out at 30 a few minutes ago, areas 20 miles north and west are at least below 10 right now..the next 2 hours the temps DROP...so be careful outside.

19. jaywayne12

just checked the models real quick and some are showing a rain storm for Saturday/Night. Temps in the 50's. Looking at the setup...as crazy as that sounds...it actually makes sense. Im inclined to go with even though its a few models and several runs.

So as it stands right now, we could get a 1 to 3 inch snow event friday followed by a rain event with temps in the 50's on Saturday. If that is the case, we might be looking at a real change in what the long term was projecting but right now have to think we are in a 10 to 14 day break from winter. EDIT..After the next couple days of course.

20. jaywayne12

average temp in the USA right now? 15.8 degrees the last time I hit this link...Im sure when you click it it will change...incredible.

LINK: http://models.weatherbell.com/drudge_usa.png

oh..and one model hinted again at that storm for the 15th...and another didnt have it..but should have? All the pieces were there but no storm. American model..shocked.