One year extension?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Woody is in the media business. This all makes great drama as rex is saved at the seasons end, but then we get a preview of the sequal for next season as rex gets his one year extension, must fight to save his job a again and the drama keeps us in the news unless we are well over .500 which will keep us in the news any way.

So welcome to the Rex watch season two: the quest for more money!

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Still nothing official, right?

3. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

that sounds about right. will be interesting to see if rex is still quiet like he was this year or if he goes back to spouting off at the mouth all the time.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

So it's been a week and we haven't heard anything official about an extension since the rah rah we're keeping Rex locker room scene went public. I think there's something holding things up and also think this is about to get interesting in the press if we don't hear an official announcement soon.

5. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

meh

this jets regime isnt really about doing everything in public view. i wouldnt read anything into it.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

They published the rah rah video of the owner telling the players Rex was staying, Idzik awkwardly trying to rally the troops and the players celebrating like they just won the superbowl. That isn't exactly trying to keep things behind closed doors. I think that gave Rex a good deal of negotiating leverage, btw.

If everything was all happy hunky-dory like they tried to sell us the deal would already be done.

#106 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Did Woody or Idzik definitely say they were giving him a 1 year extension? His current contract goes until the end of next season, so perhaps by saying that they are keeping Rex, they mean that they are letting him play out the contract and use next year as a measuring bar to earn an extension. I haven't seen anything thus far mentioning an extension except for the OP and its responses. Has anyone from the Jets confirmed that they are indeed giving him an extension?

#107 Barcs, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

There was talk from the media that the Jets only wanted to give a one year extension and that Idzik wanted Rex to change some coaches. People assumed that meant the 1 year extension was a done deal.

9. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Yeah, so far it seems that Rex & Idzik both refuse to comment on the contract situations and it's up in the air as to whether Rex will get an extension. I believe Idzik said that the talks hadn't reached that point yet. I guess they are taking their time. No official word, just NFL network analyst tweets.

10. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Whether you agree with it or not, no team trots out a lame duck coach. Coaches simply do not coach on the last year of a contract. It's asking for trouble. He will get an extension of some type, or be gone.

11. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Well, I'll give you this: you're not shy about hiding your love for Rex. The thing is you can love Rex, but don't LOVE Rex. Know what I mean?

And if you are gonna LOVE him please practice safe Rex, okay?

12. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Rex also said we'd hear about coaches in "the next couple of days". Didn't happen.

13. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

how brutal would it be for the owner to come out and say we are keeping rex, then they try to get rex to change parts of his staff and rex says no i will not fire this guy or these guys and they end up firing rex over it.

i can see rex doing this, i dont know if woody has the balls to call him on it.

14. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

According to all reports, that"s exactly what happened with Munchak. He apparently had an extension on the table if he was willing to fire his staff. He said no, and got fired.

Gonna be interesting.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Exactly why I think Rex has leverage to get more than a 1 year extension out of this. The Jets paraded around in public like they had a done deal and then only wanted to offer a 1 year extension and wanted to tell Rex who his defensive coaches should be? LOL. As much as I wanted to move on from Rex, Idzik has no ground to stand on telling Rex who his defensive coaching staff should be. Rex is the defensive guru here. The ONLY reason Idzik would want to do that is so that one of "his guys" could learn the scheme so the Jets didn't lose all that knowledge when Rex was let go a year later.

Well you may be able to pull that off, but if Rex has any stones I think he can pull more than a 1 year extension out of this.

#115 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That would be in typical Jets fashion. Fire Rex after ALL the best candidates are hired. Woody's a moron. Rex should have been fired last year, and if not, certainly this year. The circus continues.

17. WEEBSBOYZ

WEEBSBOYZ New Member

Ncjetsfan, the jets management are just following the "Cowboy Way", ha ha. I've got an idea, Rex for Jason,see whom's the epitome of mediocrity ???

18. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Really? Rex has been to the playoffs twice with Mark Sanchez at QB, Jason Garrett has been to the playoffs 0 times with Tony Romo, there is no comparison try harder next time.

19. Barcs

Barcs Banned

And why do you feel Rex should be fired? (please give football reasons, not drama reasons, thanks)

20. ccraveiro21

ccraveiro21 Member

Idzik wants Rex to get new coaching personnel, I think we should look at Wade Philips for new D coordinator and just demote DT back to secondary. Of course Marty will stay at OC