Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Mangold Goldman, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Mangold Goldman

Anybody watching the Bbva compass bowl right now? Matthews 4 rec 93 yds 1 td, With 10 min to go in 2nd quarter.

I want this kid, he's consistent, great hands and a good route runner. I honestly don't think he'll be there when we pick in the 2nd round but i hope to be wrong. He's my favorite receiver after the big 3 (Watkins, Lee, Evans)

2. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I have Matthews on the same level as Allen Robinson right now, but I expect one of the two to end up being a late first round pick instead of both being early second round picks.

3. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Might be the most steady, consistent WR not named Sammy Watkins in this draft. Guy always factors into every game in some capacity, he doesn't pull a Stephen Hill and vanish. Just an all around well rounded game.

4. Mangold Goldman

Make that 5 rec 143 yds 2 td.... his stock is just going up and up

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If the Jets can trade down towards the end of the first - Matthews or Allen Robinson are 2 great options.

6. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Matthews is a first rounder IMO. I wouldn't mind if they take him on the 18. Remember, his uncle is Jerry rice. That counts for something in my book.

7. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

Matthews is by far the second best WR in this draft behind Sammy Watkins. Lee is a Holmes clone and is already battling injuries and Evans is 6'5 but is unpolished as a route-runner only running verticals and skinny posts basically. Matthews is already having a great game and will be attending the Senior Bowl, if I'm not mistaken, and he will only better his stock with a good showing since he is a very good route-runner. It will essentially come down to his 40 time to determine where he gets picked and hopefully that is to the JETS with the 18th pick.

8. laxin

laxin Active Member

I dont see 1st round talent. This class is too deep for him to be a 1st rounder IMO. He's very good in all areas, but not really special in any. Id say he's a solid 2nd rounder. In comparison to last years late 1st rounders (Hopkins and Patterson), I dont think he's on that talent level, and this class is much better than last years.

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

His stock wont be going up from one performance. He's been very good the last 2 years. Its nothing new.

10. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I think Evans, Watkins and Lee all goo in the top 15-18. I think Matthews is the next to go when it's all said and done. Imo, that will be the end of the first, top of the second at the latest.

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

I think Benjamin, Cooks and Adams are more talented... But for our sake, I hope they fall to the 2nd.

12. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Hopefully one of Jordan Matthews, Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, or Odell Beckham Jr. will be available at our 2nd round pick.

WR (Evans/Watkins/Lee) or TE (Ebro/Amaro) in the 1st, then double dip on offense in the 2nd round

13. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Jordan Matthews will at worst be a early 2nd rd pick and could fall into the end of Rd 1 if a team falls in love.

Matthews is a VERY smart football player, he runs great routes and understands defenses.

If you can find an interview of Matthews he's mature beyond his years.

I would love JM to be a NYJ.

14. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

One of the team's few players who remained 100% focused all throughout the season. He's very proactive and responsible. Even when he does do things he shouldn't be doing he's still much smarter than most about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

15. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

One of my absolute favorite players in this draft and to me, he's super underrated. He's a day 1 starter for a WR needy team like us. I think we'd have a shot at him in the second but I'm anticipating him getting a lot of predraft hype (especially at the senior bowl). If we trade back, he could certainly be a target for us.

Also, don't forget he's a relative of Jerry Rice so maybe he's got some of that magic in his blood!

#15 JohnnyThaJet, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  16. chadsrightarm

chadsrightarm New Member

Lee is more explosive than Holmes and plays like he gives a damn (super passionate hard working kid). If he hadn't gotten hurt (an injury from which he is recovered) he'd be bumping with Watkins for the top receiver in the draft and I have a feeling if he has a great combine he might still push for top 10, I'd love him to drop to us!

Not knocking the other guys, but I think Santonio's attitude has muddied up a lot of judgement on players of his style/size.

17. Really talented tough receiver who can do it all.Also pretty good after the catch.

His second gear & vertical are likely average but everything else about him is fantastic.

I would argue that he is a much safer pick than Mike Evans.

18. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Matthews is probably the safest WR in the whole draft (even more than Watkins). I honestly wouldn't mind him with our 1st round pick. I see him as a better version of Kennan Allen.

19. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

If nothing else Matthews maybe the toughest wideout in this years class. I like him as a late one at best.

20. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

would love to grab him. Can't say anything about him that hasn't already been said in this thread. Reliable receiver, good head on his shoulders.