Hakeen Nicks - what is the deal

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Derty, Jan 2, 2014.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good posts. Welcome to the board.

2. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Been saying it all year... how can you expect a rookie to shine when not a single one of his WR played 3 or 4 weeks in a row. how is he supposed to develop any sort of chemistry.

3. CreedBratton

CreedBratton New Member

I have 0 interest in Hicks

4. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

What's funny is people complaining about nicks being injury prone yet wanting Maclin (check his injury history) or Nicks being a malcontent yet wanting Tate (have you seen his on field bullshit?)

5. Barcs

Barcs Banned

What did he pull this year? I thought he got hurt and Eli sucked donkey balls. Either way Holmes will stay. He already said he'd take a paycut so I don't see him leaving. Holmes + Nicks + Maclin + Kerley + Nelson would make me smile.

6. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I got stuck watching allot of giant games. No effort. Seemed clear he was pissed about contract. Eli was bad, allot of his interceptions was nicks not playing hard. I don't know how Holmes is back unless he takes vet minimum

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets could bring him in without relying on him for next year, just on a tryout in camp basis it'd be a no-brainer. That won't happen of course, because somebody will give him some level of guaranteed money above zero and that's where he's not a good investment.

An example of a workable deal would be 3 years for $15M with none of it upfront in a bonus and no guarantee to him that he even gets out of camp. Pay him $3M in 2014 and $6M in '15 and '16 if the Jets really want to keep him.

That way if he turns out to be a really good acquisition the Jets make out and if he doesn't they just walk away at the final cuts next year.

Never happen but that's the kind of deal that would make him worthwhile to explore.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I like your thinking here, but I think it should go a step further. I think the contract should have a base minimum that he would make $9 million have some fairly difficult to reach incentives for games played, receptions, TD catches, yards that could raise the value of the contract to $15 million. I would have some conservative escalator clauses that would bump his base salary up from year one to year two and the from year two to year three.

9. davecrazy

davecrazy Active Member

He's a legit #1 guy and going to get legit #1 money.

In a down, injury filled year he still put up 2x the yards of anybody on the Jets.

Some of you guys are insane.

#69 davecrazy, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  10. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Explain his down year in 2012, then.

11. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

Broke his foot, played before it was probably ready, and continuously reinjured it throughout the year. He also supposedly dealt with a finger injury all of this year, which may have explained the frequent drops, and I believe he also sat out almost all offseason activities. He hasn't been a model teammate as of late and hasn't been healthy in 2 years.

He won't get #1 money and it is yet to be seen if he can still be a legitimate #1 receiver. He will, however, be better than anyone who puts on a Jets uniform next season unless they sign another big FA.

I see Nicks betting on himself and taking a one year deal, he's still very young, if he takes a "prove-it" deal and shows he can play again and that these past 2 seasons were a fluke, he'd launch himself back up to the 10m/year range. Right now I see him as a 3-5m guy after his last 2 years.

#71 strngplyr, Jan 5, 2014
  12. Jetsfansince95

I want nothing to do with Holmes and Nicks they care about one thing GETTING PAID playing well is secondary to them, if that. they can both stay far away off our team.

13. Jetsfansince95

I wonder what kind of money Maclin will get coming off an injury I would be fine with a 3 year 3 mil per type contract. wonder if that will get it done

14. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Holmes is as good as gone imo. Even if he takes a pay cut, his inability to stay on the field and his over all demeanor as a malcontent has sealed his fate.

15. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Except for the fact that none of that is true. It's the same ol' rhetoric that people have been saying for the past 2 years. The guy snapped his foot in half and had to have 2 separate surgeries 6 months apart each with its own grueling rehab. He injured his hamstring after not playing for a year and half, which happens. Claiming he's injury prone because of 2 injuries that weren't his fault is beyond ridiculous. He's been playing hurt all year. And he's not a malcontent. He just doesn't like appeasing the media. Holmes has done nothing to warrant that alleged demeanor since 2011, and he's been good ever since, especially with working with younger WRs and doing more charity work than anyone else on the Jets (besides maybe Sanchez). This year was rough coming off an injury, but you are greatly exaggerating with those statements. He'll be back and he'll take a paycut. Just curious, how often do malcontents offer to take a paycut to stay with the team they are on? Man, he must be REALLY upset with this team!! :rofl: People love to hate Holmes on here, but in reality there's nothing to warrant it since 2011. Fans just hold on to negative things and don't forget them due to selective memory. You can't forgive or forget with an elephant memory. If only people would remember the positive things as well.

#75 Barcs, Jan 5, 2014
  16. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

First off, the idea that Holmes took a pay cut is a bit of a misnomer. The year before, the jets guaranteed his 2013 season up to 7.5 million with offset language. So basically Holmes had 2 options: take the pay cut to 7.5 or gamble that he would get more on the open market coming off a Lisfranc injury.

Second, I never said injury prone. I said "his inability to stay on the field". That's a fact. He's played in 15 games the past 2 years.

Lastly, he did quit on the team in 2011. He also said it didn't bother him that the jets were eliminated from the playoffs this year. Is he the worst guy in the league? No way. But his production and attitude don't warrant his contract.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

:rofl2:

You STILL believe he is staying here!? Please you need to understand that the first opportunity the Jets can take action, that man will be cut from the team all-together. No resign, no negotiations. Kerley is his replacement. I believe we will have 2 new starting wide receivers next season along with Nelson getting a good work-load. Also, we will have a new starting TE.

18. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

kerely isn't Holmes replacement, he's a slot receiver, a role to his own on the offense. we'll look for his replacement in free agency as #1 wideout in free agency.

the thing is had he played as well as he did vs the bills in september all year long there'd be no debate, and I while the poor teammate line is overblown his injury bug and lack of production while he actually was on the field later on isn't.

hes not worth it, he won't be retained, not unless its for a CHEAP contract and his value to mentor younger receivers really is that good (i've heard he was decent in that capacity last august). the idea of an extension is laughable though.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I am not talking about roles, roles can change year in and year out. Kerley's skill-set is similar to Holmes - for a fraction of the price. He is the replacement. Holmes, I think at this stage of his career is a slot receiver as well.

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I didn't say that Holmes took a paycut. I said that, Holmes claimed he WOULD take a pay cut this year to stay with the team. What a complete dick, saying that! He is totally a malcontent only looking to get paid!!

LOL! You never said injury prone, only that he can't stay on the field! Ha! This has only been the case for 1 season after a season ending injury that most players can't even come back from!!! Hilarious. Yeah, being injury prone and not being able to stay on the field are totally different. :rofl: Come on, man, that's like saying, the problem with the car isn't the engine, it's the motor.

I know what happened in 2011. Where did Holmes say he didn't care that we missed the playoffs? I'd bet any amount of money it was taken out of context. This happens with him constantly because he refuses to answer media questions in a PC manner.

You MIGHT be right, but you state this so matter of fact. I know he'll be cut if he doesn't restructure, but I see him coming back at a cheaper rate. People seem to think the Jets organization hates Holmes as much as some of these Jets fans do, but there's no reason to think that. If they hated him so much, he would have been cut last off season. I could be wrong, but I see no evidence to suggest otherwise aside from fans being pissed off about 2011 and lack of production following a major injury. Holmes should get a "prove it" contract next season loaded with incentives and little guaranteed money, since he'll officially be fully recovered from the injuries and should be able to partake in TC. If we do indeed draft 2 new WRs, I'd like to see Holmes help mentor them for a year. If Holmes can't produce next season, he's a goner for sure, but it's clear that this year he never fully recovered and got back into the swing of things while learning this new offensive system.

And honestly I don't see Kerley's skillset being similar to Holmes at all. How many times has Kerley made really difficult acrobatic grabs in the endzone? He's solid in the slot, but he's not as versatile as Holmes.

I'm beginning to see why darksiders like that banned dude hate me so much (not talking to you, 101, I do respect your posts and your opinion). They hate Holmes and I support him, so I get hated on for it. I don't care about gossip and drama, I only care about football. I give Holmes credit for his tough work rehabbing over the past 2 years, and working with the young guys. Some people only remember the negative, but that really boils down to a bad attitude in life in general, with the glass always being half empty. If we lose Holmes, I won't really lose sleep over it, but if he goes to a team with an elite QB, with a chip on his shoulder, watch out. I'd absolutely hate seeing him on the Patriots because we all know he'd have a career year.

#80 Barcs, Jan 5, 2014