Are You SURE You REALLY Want Sanchez Off The Jets ??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I think there are only a handful of posters you can call Sanchez "lovers" (Junc, Hobbes, maybe 85inthehall). Most everyone else who are labelled as Sanchez "lovers" are probably better categorized as non haters. I have been labelled as a lover but you will rarely find me defending his play; it is what it is.

I personally view myself more a "supporter" or "defender" of yielding as much return as possible in the investment that is Sanchez. Sanchez is the only top 5 overall QB the Jets have drafted in my lifetime as a fan. Thus, I'm not as much in a hurry as many to usher him out of town without the sense we explored all options and exhausted all resources in an effort realize the promise that lead to us trading up to get him. This past year was suppose to be his last opportunity. Regardless of the talent around him, he now had a legitimate OC and legitimate competition, I expected him to win the job, then play consistent and efficient ball; no excuses. Unfortunately, thanks an unbelievably stupid decision by Rex, we never got the chance to see this play out.

IMO the fact Geno did not take the position and run away with it and the suspect FA market ever so slightly left the door open for another last opportunity. This time he will not have the big contract, a rookie to compete against or even a guaranteed roster spot.

2. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

Can we really blame Rex? I always thought that was more of a call from up top (idzik)

3. legler82

At the end of the day it falls on Rex as it was an decision made in a game. Just like all personnel decisions will fall on Idzik even if it they are heavily influenced by Rex or Woody.

4. socaljetfan

Wow how did I forget Noodles? The only QB to win AFC East in the Brady era other than Brady.

5. socaljetfan

Oh come on now the injury is Sanchez's fault? I guess we can add him to the list of QBs stupid enough to get themselves injured alongside Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Brady and Big Ben.

Welcome to the forum btw.

6. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

According to most sties the roster bonus is due on March 1st, not march 28th, but there may be some contractual language.

I'm also not sure Sanchez wants to stay in NY, he says he does but saying and doing are two separate things. It was made pretty clear in the pre-season who the team wants as a starter between Sanchez and Smith and Sanchez may decide the grass is greener long term to go elsewhere.

it would be foolish of the Jets to pay 2 million, and hence 2 million in cap space, to hope Sanchez would sign after March first, assuming of course that is the date roster bonuses become due.

I would be very surprised if Sanchez is a Jet when the roster bonus comes due.
    He might be a Jet afterwards, but I'm pretty sure Sanchez and his agent will test the waters to see what offers are out there, after all he may be able to get the lead spot in a QB competition down in Jacksonville or someplace.

7. legler82

How exactly?

8. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Not a lover - sanchez is far from elite - but I do believe he is the best option to bring this team to the playoffs next year with some infusion of talent on the offensive side of the ball. I think the offense would be much more dynamic and allow Marty to really call a full game and not a rookie version of it. Geno has so much to improve on in the offseason I don't think Marty will be able to use his entire playbook next year either and trying to incorporate new young offensive players you need a veteran to lead them. I feel the best person is Sanchez for that job in 2014. Now 2015 on who knows what the team will do.

9. IWillPeeGreen

IWillPeeGreen New Member

lol the sanchez sympathy is fucken disgusting imo. even on this site you read how posters 'feel bad' for him. Look, he got two really good contracts for being bad at his job, one just because the GM felt bad for him after rumors about Manning. Also got to bag celebrities off of his status as NY QB.

sanchez has no upside, 'knows the system' is a crap way to justify it. what is he gonna bring to the table, mediocre play when the QB goes down? Backups should bring real heat to the starters. Look at the 49ers and Seahawks, they went against that bullshit of coddling their starting QBs based on contract/draft/history.

10. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

good point. both sanchez and geno have had one year under mornhinweg...and geno has had way more reps. certainly some aspects of the system would be carried-over from previous years, which would be to sanchez' advantage. but i'm sure those aspects are being dissolved, little-by-little, anyhow.

11. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Putting Sanchez in late in the game like he was pretty much indicated that they were leaning towards Geno, most likely coming from up top. That was as clear of a sign as any that they were leaning Geno's direction.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If Idzik sees potential in Geno as the future franchise QB for the Jets, he may give Geno his second season without tons of pressure from a seasoned vet who could probably unseat Geno in the preseason.

Even an average lifelong QB could probably outplay 2nd yr Geno in short stints. But then what? Relegate Geno to the bench in favor of an average lifelong QB who outplayed him in pre-season?

With Idzik's mantra being competition competition and more competition it's hard to believe he'd bring in a vet QB and tell him 'no matter how good you do in training camp, Geno will get his 2nd year to develop'.

13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I think Mark was shortchanged by an organization that consistently stripped the offense of talent and never replaced that talent thus sabotaging his chances to be successful.
    I'm not trying to suggest he would be an elite QB but I certainly feel had we built an offense around this kid with playmakers he'd be a solid starter for us.

14. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

I can't agree with this at all. You're telling me they put Sanchez in because they wanted him to get hurt so the decision was easier for them?

Rex wanted the snoopy trophy, He figured if he put Sanchez in for a drive he could score a TD and everyone gets all happy touchy feely with Sanchez under center to go into the season. ( He was less then stellar in the last drive he was and they all would have rested game 4 ).

As dumb as that is, It's still more viable then "they put him in to get hurt so he lost the job already".

Truth is there was no "clear sign" at any point. But I have to assume based on stats, the split of the snaps and first team reps, and the fact that we had no other choice but to keep Sanchez on the roster, he would have been the starter week 1. Probably not for the entire season unless he really turned it on, But there's no way with the stats that ended preseason you could justify starting Geno over Mark. He just didn't look ready ( and in a way still doesn't ), And at that point there's absolutely no reason to rush him into action.

15. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Honestly I think worrying about "pressuring" the starters was one of the reasons Mike T isn't with the team anymore. We need to move past the we're going to stunt player x's growth if we bring someone in that will challenge him. If they're NFL caliber QBs they will adjust to pressure and win the competition.

If Geno can't beat out a vet learning a new system on a new team, do you really want him leading our team?

Same can be said of Sanchez. If he totally bombed in preseason this past year I would want him gone at first chance. But the kid showed up to play, played hard, and supported his team all year. He didn't fold under the pressure even essentially after his job was given away by our 3rd string O-line.

16. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

It's possible the org might feel an obligation to Mark. One because of the injury and two because Mark was on the sidelines all season long supporting the team when he really didn't have to be there. Of course he was getting paid over 8 mil on IR. And then there are probably Mark supporters in the front office who will never admit they made a mistake on him. BTW the owner is one of them because at the time they made the decision to draft Mark it was Woody, Rex and Tanny who interviewed him and were so impressed they traded up and drafted him at overall 6. So it wouldn't shock me if the numbers are right and they're looking for a veteran Qb to compete with Geno they choose Mark. But there is one stumbling block and that is Idzik. He wasn't there and had nothing to with that decision. He also wasn't there in Mark's development process when everyone decided to hand Mark the job every year with no competition and no accountability. And keep playing him in spite of the obvious regression and losses on the field. A mistake that Idzik seems to be trying to change. Now he never commits himself to a starting Qb. He didn't all of training camp during the regular season and now. You have to earn the job and keep it on a weekly basis. It is my hope that John finally cuts ties with Mark. No more chances after over sixty starts. Sometimes you have to change the mentality in an organization and go forward not backwards.

17. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I definitely read the things you post and you still offer no valid points whatsoever. Its all here say or your opinion. There has been nothing you have ever said with any validity. Sanchez time here is done and he doesnt deserve any right to compete for a starting spot. After 4 years, enough is enough. There has been plenty of reasons to not want him back but you must be blind and not able to comprehend either then. Bottom 5 QB stats (which i have said), the awful contract (getting paid at one point like a top 5 QB), and the crowd has had it with him. The second he throws another pick, the crowd will light into him so bad he will curl up into a ball and not recover. Only in Jet Land will folks like you want this kind of QB back on their team with a chance to compete for a starting spot...

18. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Except the not bad oline gave up McElroy 10x. Never did Mark get sacked that many times in a game either.

That's not an excuse simply a fact.

19. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I agree about the ten sacks and don't blame it totally on the OL. Getting sacked ten times shows to me you're not an NFL Qb. And Greg's presently on the PS of Cincy not on an active roster. But he had only one game to be bad not 61 like Mark. So you can't blast the guy for being horrible and he actually was very good relieving Mark in the Arizona game. btw I also don't blame Mark's poor two year stint in 2011 and 2012 on the OL like many of his supporters do. They weren't that bad. The worst game (and one I will give Mark a pass on) was that Ravens game when Mangold was out and Mark was killed all night long.

20. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I am 110% sure I want Sanchez off the jets. The ship has sailed and Sanchez deserves his opportunity to start for another team just not the jets. I will always be appreciative for his efforts in 09-10 but the fallout was ugly and Geno should be given a clear cut path to starting for this team without any controversy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.