Salary Cap Picture

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by James Hasty, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If all Woody wanted was to re-shuffle some really bad contracts he probably would have kept Tanny and told him to re-shuffle some really bad contracts.

Seems to me Woody wasn't happy with Tanny's talent selections and wanted the team to move in more of a home grown youth type movement that Tanny proved himself incapable of.

In comes Idzik. Out with the old and/or bloated players/contracts, in with the young, talented, and cheap.

I see that trend (mission?) continuing.

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I find this "all in" on Geno stuff fascinating. For one he was a second round pick. I posted in another thread how the only other 2nd round QBs that teams went "all in" on in the past 20 years were Tony Banks and Andy Dalton. Had either them played as poorly as Geno did their rookie seasons they would have been looking over their shoulder the next year. Even Drew Brees, arguably the best QB drafted in the 2nd round in recent history, had to compete every year of his first 4 years. It just doesn't happen, but I guess Geno is different.

3. Mangold Goldman

Dude, the only way we're going to really see what Geno is made of is to surround him with offensive talent. He showed some nice growth at the end of the season and deserves to go into camp as the presumed number 1, with competition from a veteran or a mid round draft pick.

That's what the poster means by go all in... get him weapons. If he can't get it done next year, you draft a qb high in the 2015 draft.

And if you suggest we take a qb in the first round this year, i completely disagree, but that's just me

4. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Completely agree. Except we are facing a couple of WRs next year that fit what Cro does well. I assume the FO would consider this while working on the roster.

5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I cut all three of those guys with no hesitation.

If Cro or Holmes has a big bounce back year, so be it. There are players that will hit the open market that could be brought in cheaper and could produce more.

Sanchez is a no brainer.

6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

c ya to sanchez and holmes....not sure why this is even debatable.

would definitely restructure cromartie. he is a gamer an someone i want on my team. hopefully that can get done.

7. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

I really don't understand everyone's fascination with Cro on this forum.

---------------------

In his entire time here, he has had a good 10 game stretch after revis went down in 2012. Besides that, he has been extremely unspectacular and average playing against #2 WR in 2010 and 2011, and had a terrible season in 2013(worse than milliner).

Cut the guy, move on.

#27 rsmehta, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  8. jilozzo

i dont think its a fascination but more so the realization of how difficult a transition it is for a CB in this system. IMO, milliner is still a major ? even after improving the last few games. at least with cromartie we have a staple back there who knows the system. we just have to deal with his brain farts and nagging injuries.

9. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

There is a lot of top tier talent in CB available in FA.

Add Talib/Verner and cutting Cro, instantly improves the biggest liability we have on D.

Add a ball-hawking safety with Antonio Allen, all of a sudden, you are looking at a possible #1 D for 2014.

--------------------------

We have money to spend, overpaying average players but loyal Jets is the main reason we got into a mess the past two seasons.

#29 rsmehta, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  10. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

hear hear. i don't hate sanchez and think he may be a decent quarterback some day. but not with the jets. he's only a distraction at this point. he wouldn't - and shouldn't want - to come back as the backup. i also dont want to hear any more about 'jets west'...the country club for the cool kids. this team took a step in the right direction this year attitude-wise. sanchez (and holmes) don't appear to be part of that solution. (again, not hating those guys, just liking more the team without them).

11. jilozzo

i haven't looked at the FA options and if thats the case then yes the argument is there but the ? is would these guys be more expensive on the open market than restructuring cromartie. as u said i think safety would be the position to upgrade, instead of CB at this point....

not sure how the market for CB's is gonna play out. one would expect it to cool a bit in light of revis' minimal impact on the bucs and the recent retirement of asumongha - hardly a blip on the radar after signing with the eagles.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good points. I don't think CBs will get the money they were getting a year or so ago. I want no part of Talib, but if Verner or some of the other young CBs are reasonable, then I think they should sign one and let Cro go. Cro's 30. He's on the downward side of his career. If they could lock up a good young CB and Milliner develops, they'd be set for the next 5 years or so at CB and not have to worry about it.

13. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Cro implied it when he discussed how his performance this year was not up to his own expectations and he wasn't living up to the money he was earning.

14. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

Top ranked FA CB's, from best to worst.

1. Alterraun Verner
    2. Aqib Talib
    3. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
    4. Captain Munnerlyn
    5. Sam Shields
    6. Brent Grimes
    7. Walter Thurmond
    8. Vontae Davis
    9. Tim Jennings
    -----------------------------

Anyone of the above would be a huge upgrade over Cro.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'd love to add either Verner, Shields, Munnerlyn or Davis (in that order). Talib's a cancer, Grimes and Jennings are too old and I never heard of Thurmond. At one point several years ago I would have wanted Rodgers-Cromartie, but not any more.

16. joolander

joolander New Member

do you guys think we have a shot at signing Chris Johnson? I know he has a ton of miles, and we do have a good backfield. I know its probably a pipe dream, but if any coach get the most out of him right now in his career, I believe its Rex. CJ2K could give us another dimension, especially as a 3rd down back.

17. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

Chris Johnson is going to make minimal impact. I'd rather sign Knowshawn Moreno who is a dual threat which we need and has tackle breaking ability.

I would leave CB alone after cutting Cro and bringing him back at a lower cap charge. I just have to believe he's played hurt he didn't fall off that sharply. A hip injury has got to be a killer injury for a cb especially one who relies on recovery speed after getting out of a back pedal like Cro does. Cro '12 was better than all these CBs on the above list .....

As far as salary cap dollars and where to spend I think Idzik is of the mindset to make sure the team is always in a flexable state so I don't look to him as the kinda guy to just throw loads of money around at all the "projected" prizes of free agency. I expect him to be savvy.

I expect Idzik to let all the fools go throw boat loads of money at Byrd, and then swipe TJ Ward for a little less money and boom you are set with a top tier safety for 4-5 years.

For the 1 year deal C.Pace will probably get, let him go and give John Abraham a 1 year deal for slightly more. Afterall he is a much better pass rusher and has found the fountain of youth. Would be a nice story for him to come full circle. (actually I'm not 100 percent Abraham is a fa but I think so).

Then sign Fred Davis to a low risk 2 year deal. He has something to prove after being in the doghouse in Washington and might think he could get a big pay day but he doesn't deserve it now.

At WR bring in Nicks, also on a 1 or 2 year deal. He won't get the big money contract he was hoping for and when motivated and healthy, I'm sorry but he is the superior wr talent to victor Cruz. He is a guy who might take a 1 or 2 year deal to raise his own stock for a bigger pay day.

If they lose Colon replace him with Incognito. Another bargain considering his issues, and he does exactly what Colon does.

If you follow this plan then you haven't spent a ton of money on any single player and now you still have room to add a Decker or Maclin, Possibly B. Orakpo or Eugene Monroe to anchor the right side of the OL (would be a nice upgrade over Howard, who is solid and will get a decent contract regardless). They could prob get 2 of these guys I just mentioned.

Then they can truly draft BPA throughout the draft and we will be much improved!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

18. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

Bargain short term deals: Nicks, Fred Davis, Incognito.

Big catches: Ward, Decker, Monroe

And MAYBE ENOUGH room for Orakpo or Moreno. If they have close to 40m in cap room coukdnt this be possible?

How would all of you feel with that kind of net gain after FA heading into draft?

And just an update on the above post I did just see that Ari recently extended Abraham for 2 years in Dec so nm that.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

19. legler82

If you think he may be a decent QB some day, why can't it be in a Jets uni at a bargain basement rate? He would be a distraction to who? The Sanchez hate resides only in the hearts of fans and some media members; it's not an issue in the locker room. If you meant a distraction to Geno, then you need to brace yourself for what's to come. Geno WILL HAVE COMPETITION next year whether it be Mark, a FA vet and/or draft pick. Also, I don't get the reference to the team's "attitude". Was Sanchez the owner of a particular "attitude" that was detrimental to the team?

20. legler82

10. (and probably higher) Corey Graham