One year extension?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 30, 2013.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I won't give you a break because you simply did not grasp what was said, or dishonestly ignored one element of it and focused on the other in isolation when they go together.

it has nothing to do with Rex is a true believer and wouldn't leave, it has to do with the leverage he would have by having the ability to leave.

whether you think he would leave is irrelevant, it only matters what dynamic would occur by his ability to leave. try to keep up, that was a pretty simple 5 mph statement that blew right past you.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

From what I've read on TJB it sounds like the sticking point may be that Idzik wants to replace Thurman with one of his guys. All due respect, I don't think Idzik should ever be telling Rex Ryan who his DC should be.

It may make sense for Idzik to want one of his guys to learn Rex's defense so he has an escape plan when he sends Rex sailing.

If that is the sticking point, and it's all just media BS at this point so it could be way off base, this could be a stalemate ... could get interesting. I think the Jets gave away a fair amount of leverage to Rex by announcing to the world he'd be back and showing the locker room celebrating the fact. Now he can sit back and say give me what I want or you'll look like clowns if he wants to play hardball.

#62 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Right now there are 4 HC vacancies which is likely to go up. Rex is locked up for next year so he isn't eligible for any of them. If he refuses a 1 year extension the Jets may well have to buy him out which might allow him to get a long term deal with one of the teams looking for a HC now.

This could get very interesting. Rex actually has some leverage right now.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. He's under contract. If he refuses to sign the extension, the Jets could force him to either coach the team next year as a lame duck and strip all his power away, or they could make him sit for a year and not coach anywhere.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

And the Jets gave him additional leverage - check out my edited comment.

6. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

I bet Rex gets three more years within the next few weeks. Still he can be fired at any time contract or not. I don't think the coaches salary counts against the cap so whats all the fuss for?

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The fuss is that Woody has shown that he won't eat coaches' contracts for multiple years. He'll eat them for a year, but that's it. At least that's been his history. We'd probably all be screwed if the Jets load up in FA and the draft, and the team finishes 8-8 or 7-9 next season. We'd be stuck with Rex because Woody wouldn't want to fire him and pay him for 2-3 more seasons.

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Agreed. Lets suppose Idzik really wants to only give him a 1 year extension and wants to replace some key coaches that Rex wants to keep. Rex could simply say no I'm going to coach next year and leave when my contract runs out. That would be a slap at Idzik and Woody that can't be tolerated. They would be forced to buy him.

Chances are Idzik's 1 year extension was simply a negotiating ploy. If that's the case it's simply a case of the Jets believing in Rex but not willing to pay him top dollar? In either case it doesn't reflect well on the organization.

It's also not a very good time to try and bring in another HC when the competition is going to be very tough with at least 4 and possibly 6 teams looking for a HC. The Jets simply might be looking to kick the can down the road when there is more supply then demand.

My guess he gets 3 years. Woody basically had BB, Groh and Herm walk on him. He's not going to let Idzik and Rex screw this up over money or a couple of years.

#68 Biggs, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  9. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

For all we know, a lifetime deal is still on the table.:wink:

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Could it be that Idzik is trying to get one of his guys to learn the defense, so that if Rex fails that defensive guy has some knowledge on that side of the ball regarding Rex Ryan's defense?

I definitely agree it is Thurman - the question is, is Thurman ready to call the plays on defense and let Rex Ryan focus on the entire team?

11. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I count 6 openings Hout,Det,Cleve,Minny,Wash,Tampa :sad:

12. vxvenom

vxvenom Active Member

NFL head coaches don't really leave positions for more money. When is the last time that happened? This is a good move on the Jets part. There are a lot of question marks with Rex that make a contract extension a bad idea. At the same time, there are a lot of pros to Rex that could make him a great coach--if he can over come a few issues. I think giving it one more year to see if he can put it together (not in the winning a superbowl sense, but more of a not making stupid decisions -- like naming idiots like Holmes team captain, not having locker room meltdowns/fights, not having a such a one-sided team) is the right way to go here.

Threshold for multiyear contract has to be a qualitative analysis of how Rex does considering the circumstances. If the Jets put up a fight every game and lose every game by 1 point on some fluke play and end up 0-16, I'd say to keep Rex around. If we start the season 9-0 and lose the last 7 games sneak into the playoffs and get bounced in round 1 and there are locker room issues of players calling each other out in the media and the same type of nonsense we've been dealing with, then Rex needs to go.

13. Sixto

Sixto Member

The key is how long do they need to extend Rex so that Marty, David Lee, and Dunbar also stay.

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't get the talk of giving Rex a long term extension. Shouldn't you earn that? He earned the right to keep his job by going (8-8) and finishing strong, but he sure as hell did not earn a 5 year extension. He missed the playoffs 3 straight seasons. I am with Idzik on this one.

15. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Accomplishing nothing? They improved the team with LESS talent. What that was, was the players supporting their head coach. I thought it was good to end the season on a high note and knock out the fins. It sets up the stage for next year's resurgence. The Gatorade bath was a bit much but it was funny as hell. The team loves Rex and would do anything for him. It's good to have a coach like that.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

That's what I was getting at.

17. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Yeah just think of Hout & Alt from last year to this. :sad:

18. New England Patriots

New England Patriots Well-Known Member

This was your entire team...and head coach, and general manager, and owner...slightly different than a 22 year old kid...

You're right. Coming off our 10th AFCE championship in 11 years, crumbling is the word I would use...

19. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Refresh my memory...
    what coaches did Woody fire that support this contention

Groh left
    Herm left/got pushed out after 5 years, and had two years left,

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2282716

Mangini fired w/one year left on his contract, but it was only his third year
    and no one was calling for his head after 2007( when he had two years left)

Anyway, not wanting to pay coaches for not coaching is not a bad thing its a good thing

20. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Nothing ever changes - another boring cheatriots troll put his ugly head above the parapit again!