One year extension?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Simple. They are willing to give him another year to prove himself. There are still a lot of questions revolving around him and he has a year to answer them. He did well enough to earn another chance but not well enough to earn their trust for multiple years going forward

2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

If he makes the playoffs hell get an extension , if he doesn't he's shark bait.If we end up 9-7 or 10-6 and miss the playoffs then I have no idea what will happen ,and it could happen just ask Cardnals fans

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Shit....if THIS YEAR'S team had stayed healthy (Barnes, Kerley, Holmes, Cro, Winslow, Cumberland) we'd have made the playoffs easily. As it was we tied 3 other teams for the last WC spot.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah there's no official announcement. Any coach not under contract should be signed for this upcoming year for now - hopefully they except that. Anyone know how many years Marty and Dunbar are signed for?

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Well isn't the one year extension just letting him play out his contract, except him not officially having a lame duck year? It's basically him finishing his contract and the Jets judging what to do.

6. WildDuckCT

WildDuckCT Active Member

SD finished 9-7. We finished 8-8. How is that a tie?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I guess this means Idzik is not a puppet, right?

8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree with Cman give him a real extension or get rid of him.

Essentially this means just going thru the same weekly Rex is on the hotseat again drama.

It seems to me just putting off the inevitable one more year. I just do not see it being likely that this team has much of a chance of winning 6+ games next year. We were a much worse team this year than last year because of the regression of our OL and secondary. Fix the OL and the secondary and we could be a very good team. The schedule certainly looks more favorable not playing the kind of defensive fronts that dominated our OL this year. But I do not see us being this fortunate 2 years in a row.

The secondary issue is resigning the CS whose contracts are all up this year. A 1 year extension only means 1 year of security for them as well. They and their families may be better off in a more stable environment.

#28 Noam, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  9. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I'm fine with Rex betting the house in 2014.

10. Blue Raven

Blue Raven New Member

This was a rebuilding year. Not much was expected from the Jets. Can't fire the coach. Idzik has to improve the roster then Rex will have to provide results.

11. Sixto

Sixto Member

Sign them all up for a few more years, including Marty, Lee, Dunbar. I'd rather put faith in a known quantity, rather then start all over again.

12. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Seriously! I'm a Rex fan and I like this deal. This guy will never be happy.

13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Essentially this makes next year the same as this year except he should have a better team. This gives RR haters what they want (do or die) and RR fans what they want (more talent to work with).

Although I dislike how the cloud of uncertainty will detract the assistants from remaining. Stability would be nice.

14. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Yes and yes. I would have been stunned if they had given him more than a 1-year extension, considering the team hasn't made the playoffs in three straight seasons (and I will be stunned if it turns out this report is wrong). As others have said, next year is playoffs or bust. He's on a short leash - what is so difficult to understand about that?

15. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

A surprising number of posters convinced themselves that Woody Johnson is a Jerry Jones/Dan Snyder type of meddling owner who has secretly given Rex GM powers and installed Idzik as a puppet GM in name only. They pointed to incontravertible evidence such as the fact that Woody, not Idzik, made the announcement that Rex is being kept. Also, Woody's statement contained the pronoun "I".

If you've convinced yourself that Rex has this absurd amount of power and leverage within the organization, then you'd be confounded by his one-year, "prove-it" extension.

16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

you don't need a one year extension for either. if he makes the playoffs and they gie him another new contract after next year, this one year extension was meaningless.

if the Jets suck and they fire him, than the 1 year extension was meaningless.

the only purpose a 1 year extension serves is to give the team more leverage after next year if they want to keep him and renegotiate. if they don't give him the extension and Rex wins 11-12 games next year, he could demand the world or walk.

17. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Give me a break Rex won't go anywhere voluntarily. You can say whatever you want about him, but if nothing else he's a true believer. He's got his team, his 1st round defensive picks, no chance.

If the deal is in fact a one year extension which is the deal I think makes sense, it's designed to spare Rex the scrutiny of coaching out the last year of his deal with the flexibility to get rid of him if it goes south for a relatively small penalty. If it goes well, both sides will be happy to extend.

18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

If they gave him a one year extension, that means his contract goes until the end of the 2015 season. There's nothing wrong with that. That gives him ample time to prove himself and in fact opens up a big extension possibility after next season if the team continues to improve. It's fair because the collapse of team depth and lowering of talent over the last 3 off seasons was not his fault, and neither was the poor QB play by Sanchez. This way he cannot possibly blame talent with 3 years of stocked up draft picks. Tanny traded too many picks away and gave too many backloaded contracts. 2014 will have a very 2010ish feel to it. If the Jets tear it up next year, Rex Ryan will get a 5 year mega deal. If not he's got another year to earn it. I mean, what do you expect, Woody to tell the Jets and the fans that he kinda likes him? He believes in Rex, but that doesn't mean you blindly give him a longterm deal after an 8-8 season.

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

To me, a 2 year extension (signed thru 2016), makes more sense.
    I don't see the team tanking in 2014, so it seems worth the gamble to me to make the extension 2 years.
    Make a statement of support, avoid the hot seat watch and distractions, and create an environment of continuity.
    Otherwise, it is another 1 year trial just like 2013 again..

If the shit did somehow hit the fan in 2014, well then you've lost that gamble and have to eat 2 years of contract to fire him.
    I don't foresee that, so believe the calculated risk of a 2 year extension would be the better move.

20. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

well no, he now has 2 years on his contract instead of 1