Woody Johnson Confirms Rex Will be Back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Dec 29, 2013.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Very good feedback. I do think our GM is insightful in regards to his methodical approach to controlling the cap, building through the draft and not squandering away precious picks for ill conceived trades...but you are right on. Time will tell.

2. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Personally I don't believe Rex deserves an extension. Three years without making the playoffs. He's had five so an extension could possibly bring that up to eight. It's also not good business. Plus he's had top draft picks on D but still overall the D has underperformed giving up big plays routinely. Do his players come to play: sometimes yes sometimes no. As in no show. So if they don't fire him then Woody doesn't have to give Rex over 3 mil to coach another team in 2014. He gives him another year and if they still don't make the playoffs sayonara. Of course if Rex then has a good year he can hold the Jets up for a fools ransom or sign with another team. Or if the Jets give him permission to talk with another team right now we could get a draft pick for Rex. Just like we did when Herm signed with KC.

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

For all those ignorantly crying about Woody making the announcement versus Idzik, please understand that the Jets do not follow the orthodox management structure of HC reporting to GM who then reports the owner. Woody made it clear last off-season that both the HC and GM reports to him. This is he was the one who made the announcement and not Idzik. Similarly, this is why he, not Idzik, sent that note out to the fans. While It's not the standards, it's not completely unprecedented; I believe the Steelers have a similar set-up.

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:Well played sir!

5. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Was just reported on NFL network that the Jets saga is not quite resolved yet.

It was reported that Rex is holding out hopes for a long term deal like 5 years.
    Idzik apparently does not want to give it to him.
    This is on top of the staff changes Idzik wants to be made.

The final sentence of the piece "We'll see how much leverage Rex has".

6. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

And I agree with Flash. In the Rex-Idzik standoff, Rex won hands down. He is popular with players and fans. Now, Idzik knows his job is to run the draft with Woody and Rex's approval.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Well surprise, surprise...

That's why you don't go down to the locker room and make a big spectacle about him returning. It's unprofessional and now gives Rex leverage that he certainly doesn't deserve. You keep things closed and in home, and make your announcement on Monday.

It's no secret I've been of the thought it's time to move on from Rex. But keeping him around isn't the worst thing in the world. I just have a huge problem with the manner in which they are carrying this thing on.

An owner going down to the locker room to hoot and holler about bringing back a .500 coach? A team celebrating like they won a SB after an 8-8 year? With this type of reward for mediocrity, there's no wonder that mediocre coach is asking for a long term deal.

A simple - "We are evaluating the season as a whole and will come to a conclusion as soon as possible" after the game would've been nice. Then you can tell Rex on Monday you want to bring him back. With much less fanfare. Then you get your productive talks of how that's going to happen... followed by an agreement and an announcement to the public. That's professionalism.

8. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Anyone have any insight as to what type of staff changes Idzik would want? You can't blame Rex for not wanting to be a lame duck coach next year.

9. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

All I know is they are reported to be on the defensive side of the ball.
    I think most if not all of the assistants contracts are up, so it could be just about anyone.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If Woody says: "Give Rex 5 more years..", then Rex gets 5 more years. Idzik at this point has next to no leverage when it comes to negotiating with Rex. He can't fire Rex so what choice does he have except give Rex what he wants, put the best face he can on it, and move on. As far as the staff changes, as loyal as Rex is to his people, the chances of this happening w/o Rex signing off on it are zero.

Frankly, Rex Ryan is in the driver's seat right now..Woody is riding shotgun..

#150 Cman68, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Think about how much leverage the Jets just gave Rex in negotiating by telling all the fans he'll be back and showing the team celebrating the news like a bunch of school kids.

LOL

Rex is going to walk out of this one with an extension, no doubt. Probably a raise too.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Probably a promotion too. Rex will get everything he wants and Idzik will have no choice but to put his stamp on it and then smile for the cameras. If there ever was a weaker GM in football, he probably worked for Jerry Jones.

13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 14m
    From @KimJonesSports and me: #Jets coach Rex Ryan not getting the long-term extension he covets. Team brass will only give him 1-year deal.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 13m
    More from @KimJonesSports & me: Rex is resigned to being extended only thru 2015. Will use it as motivation, believing team will win in ’14.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 12m
    More from @KimJonesSports & me: If Jets win, Rex can cash in big next year. Meanwhile, assistants in holding pattern, want real security.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5m
    Would be tough to watch the Rex Ryan locker room video and not see the love players have for Rex. Yet team not committing long-term.

Rapports relevant description on twitter "National Insider for NFL Network and http://NFL.com"
    Jones relevant description on twitter "NFL Network reporter. http://NFL.com columnist"

14. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

so he's only getting another year added?

good. I mean I like rex as head coach and 2013 was a great job by him, but it wasn't worth 4 years or something.

he needs to capitalize on his work and the franchise needs to make sure they aren't in too deep. he's done enough with his players to think that some continuity is the best thing for the team come next season, but not enough so that he should be coach for life.

He's being given an opportunity that he has earned, and he's getting nothing more. this was the best case scenario.

15. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Rich Cimini weighs in

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini 2m
    Jets willing to give Ryan a 1-yr extension, acc to NFL Network. However, nothing official yet, per source. Talks haven't gotten that far.

16. Mitch_Dumstein

One year better than it seemed when announced. All the statements sounded like he just going to be back for 14 for which he was already under contract. An extra year and, hopefully by the end of next season Idzik and the owner will both be 100 percent certain that Rex is the man for the longterm

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

a one year extension is fair at this time. Make him feel a little more comfortable. We get into the playoffs and actually win a playoff game? 3 year extension more than likely.

18. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

This is confusing is his contract for 2 years because of the one year extension of just a new 1 year contract for next year only?

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Nothing is official yet.

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Remember as this plays out that we are "in the media business" and Rex's job security made a great story that kept the Jets in the headlines long after their playoff hopes dimmed. Now the talk of an extension can drag out and keep us in the news during the playoffs.

My guess is its already done.

... now where did my tinfoil hat go....