Black Monday Thread, Firings in NFL

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Diddy, Dec 29, 2013.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

#KeepPhilbin hashtags need to start on Twitter. Come on Jets fans! Haha. :up:

2. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Ireland was going to get removed for the lack of control. If a new GM is brought I dont see how they would retain the coach. I know Idzik retain Rex but Philbin hasnt proved anything.

Lets just hope they keep him though. He cant coach.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Not true. He has proven he is a joke. :)

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I totally get the Kubiak, Schwartz, and Schiano firings.

Chud and Frasier firings just don't make much sense to me.

Chud after only 1 year, and how many QB's did he cycle thru? If Hoyer stayed healthy, i bet their record is much better.

And the Vikings also had a complete QB carousel, without any of them being any good.
    Yet the team played hard right thru to the end. They need a new QB more than they need a new HC..

5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

thinking back to last year's Black Monday..

Lovie Smith getting fired after going 10-6.. I still don't get it.
    Trestman seems a good coach to me. He managed to improve an offense that was already loaded with talent. However, the defense has regressed to an embarrassing level . That division was theirs for the taking all year, and they couldn't get it done.

There is still more story to unfold in the upcoming Bears years, but year 1 of the change was no success.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Philbin and Tannehill are tied at the hip. I think Philbin gets another year. Because when he goes the Fins are starting over again and they just made a huge investment in free agents and they have to make Tannehill work out or things are just ugly.

7. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

You just have to feel bad for Chudzinski, whether or not he was in over his head,or the team didn't progress, he was basically put in an impossible situation and only given 1 year.

On the other hand, Schwartz just has the appearance of being an asshole, I don't like to revel in a man losing his job, but for that sob I might make an exception.

8. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Not sure if the Lions or Texans are a more appealing job as a job-seeking HC.

9. Br4d

Texans have had two coaches in 12 years now. That's where I'd want to go.

10. Mitch_Dumstein

I hope that incompetant little zebra turd and the rest of their crew feel bad about getting the Browns cosch fired because of their phantom BS last minute PI early Xmas gift to Brady and the cheating scumbags

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Yes, but from a talent perspective, I'd rather coach the lions. If you believe in your self as a coach the tenure thing should not matter, give me the roster that I can get the most done with.

12. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Agree 100% - he has always been a gigantic jackass, as well as a coach who encouraged dangerous play from his players. Sometimes karma's a bitch.

13. Mitch_Dumstein

Amazingly Allen in Oakland is still employed....Crazy Al must have really passed away:D

14. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Plus some playmakers on defense. And Andre Johnson.

_

15. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Oakland has no talent and a bad QB situation, i would give Allen 1 more year

16. Br4d

Is this true though? Think about it. The Lions have a non-franchise QB getting paid at franchise QB rates despite the fact that they've never won anything with him.

I'd rather go to the Texans who have a better overall talent base at every position except for QB and WR. Then get a QB and WR this year.

17. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Talent only, you might be right.

Situation though:

Lions underachieved with Schwartz, they are going to be impatient (in my opinion) with more underachieving.

Texans are getting Teddy, the rookie QB scale gives you more leeway the first year, and they will be more patient instead of ripping apart a CS around a rookie QB.

I'd go Texans right now if I had a choice and money was equal

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I don't think the talent base along the Dline is better in Houston. Watt may be the best of the two groups, but I would not rank anyone else in Houston ahead of Suh and Ansah. Add Fairly into that mix and you have the start of a front that could be truly dominating if they get another threat on the outside.

If you think you can win with Stafford at QB then Detroit is better there and at Receiver. Reggie Bush is a very talented back with a couple of good years left. Not to mention the best receiver in all of football. The Wideout group needs depth, but its amazing at the top of the roster.

Houston has some good parts on both offense and defense, but no QB to speak of. A rookie QB may give you some time, but not much if you continue to lose. We all know that not matter how good the prospect is, he is still just a prospect. Teddy will take some time to adjust to the NFL game. A season or two of below .500 will have the fan base in Houston ready for the hook.

19. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I live down in Houston and listen to their sports talk every day. These guys feel their coaching gig is "no question" the best opening. I guess I just disagree.

Houston might have a better roster than the rest of the spots, but to me the most important thing is whether you have a franchise QB in place. For me, Detroit and Washington (with RGIII) are the best gigs (Daniel Snyder aside). You can fill in the roster later.

Houston has the top pick, so they have the ability to grab what they think a franchise guy is, but many do not feel that Bridgewater is that guy. I dont know what to think about him. I loved him last year, but I didnt watch him at all this year and hear he didnt play well. I guess if you are a coach out there, and you think Bridgewater is the guy, then Houston is the best gig. If you dont think Bridgewater is franchise material, then to me, you go to Detroit or Washington.

Washington does have the Daniel Snyder factor, which just might make anyone not want to go there, but they havent had a problem grabbing big name coaches in the past.

In Houston, you need to find a franchise QB, and youre going to be tied to that guy. If you go somewhere like Detroit or Houston, those QBs werent picked by you, so you can get rid of them after a year or two and probably be allowed to start over.

Andre Johnson is old and declining. Arian Foster just had major back surgery, which is scary for a RB. Ben Tate is a free agent and has stated multiple times, and again today, that he is going somewhere else. Their o-line is the biggest weakness on the team - it sucks. They have no TE either. Daniels is old and injured. Graham is a free agent. Griffin has been ok. On defense they have holes at both outside and inside linebacker, and Antonio Smith is also a free agent. They dont have a NT. Need a safety as well. There's a reason they have the worst record in the league.

Id much rather go to Detriot or Washington and plug a few holes in free agency and the draft. I think you have instant contenders there.

20. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Idk who in the hell would want to coach the Redskins after watching this past debacle. What coach wants the owner and QB being best friends?