How about Ed Reed as a coach next year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets could start him out as an assistant coach for the DB's helping out Tim McDonald. He knows how to play in the middle of a Rex defense and my guess is a lot of young guys will be looking for that instruction over the next few years.

2. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

He can play another year.

3. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

I would think with the performance of our DB's this year Tim Mcdonald would be
    one of the coaches Rex is supposedly being asked to let go.

4. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

That all depends on his interest in doing that. I thought I heard he's still considering playing next year.

I'd take him back if thats the case. He's not great anymore but he still has great instincts and puts himself in a position to always be around the football. That's hard to teach.

5. Mitch_Dumstein

Where is this elusive link to some facts about Idzik forcing coaching changes??

Or is all more media BS right up there with Mr Peepers Clayton and Gary Badrug Myers guarantees that Rex was getting fired?

6. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

If he takes vet minimum jets will probably bring him back. Not in a starting role. He wants to play another year. Being he ended the season playing better, he's holding strong that he still recovering from hip surgery, if idzik and Ryan believe that. I see him back as a player

7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

A player who has zero coaching experience at the NFL level? Let him earn his stripes somewhere else first. Not to mention former great players usually don't have the patience to deal with coaching the X's and O's to players who aren't as good as them. Star athletes turning coach at the highest level is a huge adjustment and ego check. See Jason Kidd disaster for reference. Pass.

8. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

He had more interceptions then Revis :lol:

Definitely bring him back in whatever roll he wants to provide for the Jets. This man is a Champion. Teach them well Ed. :up:

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind him back as a part time player. The ball just finds its way to him, it's amazing.

10. NFL

NFL Active Member

He just knows where the ball is going, and when it's tipped he's always there for it. It really is amazing how many INTs he has off of tipped passes. As a part time player, I'll take him back next year.

11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I don't know about bringing Reed back as a coach, but I def don't want him back as a player.We led the leaggue in passes over 40 yards that's bad.I don't know he's not the same player anymore, he was more productive when Rex changed his game time to passing downs but still.I rather find a saftey who has speed in the draft .

#11 LongIslandBlitz, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  12. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

As great a player as Ed Reed was, I'm not sure that what he had would translate to being 'coach-able'. He was one of the most instinctive players ever to play the game.
    That said look at how the secondary reacted to having him on the team? He is a leader and I would welcome some kind of role within the CS.

13. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Whatever role Reed wants, he should get. If the comments from Ryan and Milliner were true, Reed did a heck of a job coaching up our first round corner. More over, as previously posted, Reed has great instincts, and those just don't go away over time. The question is whether he can alter his tactics to account for his declining physical skills. However, given his performance over three last few weeks, it's clear he deserves another shot at playing. If he wants it that is.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Can we spare the Roster spot for Reed next year or should we get some more talent on the field and let Reed coach. Same goes for Garrard.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Hi Steve. I know the "Mr Peepers" nickname came from Henry. This proves you're SG3.

16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

No Ed Reed please.

17. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

With Rex at the helm, probably offer Reed a 5 year deal!

18. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

I think that if Ed Reed would be willing to take a veteran minimum contract, he'd be worth a roster spot, if his use doesn't marginalize Antonio Allen.

Antonio Allen has to be a major part of the future of the safety position for the Jets, though, and my concern is that playing Ed Reed all the time would take away from Allen's development. Allen saved the Jets from losing to Tampa Bay towards the end of the game when he stopped what would have been a TD run, nobody else on the Jets could run fast enough to make the tackle. He also did extremely well against Gronkowski and other big tight ends, and will be absolutely critical against New England and other teams who rely a lot on tight ends.

19. Vangorder already is gone as he accepted DC job at Notre Dame. Looks like Dennis Thurman & Tim Mcdonald could be out the door too.I think Idzik wants to remove alittle bit of the "good ole boys" vibe between Rex & his defensive staff. Dennis Thurman & Rex are close friends.All of their assistants have close ties.

I'm fine w/ alittle shake-up of the defensive staff. Perhaps get a new perspective on things while also considering Rex's expert input. I do hope Karl Dunbar sticks around. Who knows..maybe he gets promoted to DC. The man has earned it.

20. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

The league minimum will be $955,000 for Ed next year. Even at that, I'm not sure he won't get a better offer elsewhere.