The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Brian Winters can play a little center as well.

2. Mitch_Dumstein

nice to have 50 million or maybe more (after Idzik releases Sanchez, Holmes and restructures Cro) to buy some groceries

Unlike last year when he had a subway token in cap dollars and still managed to find Barnes, Colon and some other decent spare parts

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Learning how to take hitch step(s) at the top of his drop would be helpful. Going into his second season, you'd prefer your young QB to be working on the nuances of the game (i.e., anticipation, progressions, pre and post snap reads...etc) rather than rudimentary stuff like footwork and mechanics. Compared to other sophomore QBs, he has twice as much work going into his first real NFL off-season.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

One thing I did not realize about Winters is before he came to the NFL, he NEVER played guard. Completely forgot about that factor.

This off-season he could really improve technique wise.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

When you project onto a player you give up something in the process. In this case it took Winters a long time to get his feet on the ground and adapt to LG.

6. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Geno was no where near ready to play this year, I wouldn't go into 2014 with Geno as your christened starter.

We need to bring in a good vet to push Geno, and possibly be ready to take over if Geno looks terrible in camp or tanks when the season starts (which is a real possibility).

7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

there was a signature play yesterday that, IMO, has to be rectified if smith is going to suceed at QB in the NFL.

there was a pass intended for nelson at the goal line - he was open coming out of his final break putting a nice in/out move on the defender. i dont recall geno bening under duress at the time of release.

pass was nowhere near nelson, not the same zip code.

we have seen several of these this year, some when under duress, and others not. its these plays u have to make for success. yes u can miss a few but at the same time u absolutely have to hit a few to make the grade.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I would definitely prefer another QB in camp to compete with Geno. Whether it be Sanchez or another veteran. Then let the best QB start. The Jets really need to improve that position. Had ZERO options in 2013.

9. Mitch_Dumstein

With all due respect, I saw him absolutely hit a few more than he missed yesterday.

10. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Tbh i think sanchez will take a pay cut to the backup role

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

He did. But that was a bad miss. What jil is saying is that those throws have to be made for Geno to make that next step. On that particular play it seemed like Geno was out of synch with Nelson. That could be because he dropped back too fast our Nelson was too slow getting to the spot. Either way when Geno was ready to throw Nelson wasn't in the spot.

12. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

u are right and he played well the final 2 weeks....

its those opportunity windows, especially in opponent territory, that will make the defenses respect his passing game.

if smith starts hitting those consistently next year AND we have an NFL respectable WR group - our whole offense will take a giant step forward.

13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

For those of you interested I made a little image comparing Mark Sanchez' rookie year to Geno Smith's. A lot of similarities, they both had ups and downs, but what I see in this graphic is that Geno dominated Mark on the ground and had slightly more success with a weaker oline and running game. Geno had a slightly higher completion percentage despite more attempts. This looks very bright for Geno's future.

[​IMG]

14. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

So you're saying he's better than Mark Sanchez.

_

15. 101GangGreen101

Seriously lol, it's not saying much

I am glad Geno improved his ability to hold on the football and not fumble. I thought Geno had a better finish to the season then Mark for sure.

Very intrigued to see how he plays next season. Damnit, I hate the off-season

16. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

That's great. But to be fair Sanchez had a much better WR core to work with. Still, I wouldn't trust Geno with the team and would be looking to draft the best QB to slip to us in Round 2 or 3.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you look at the people who have recently had the type of rookie season Geno had the outlook is decidedly not positive. Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman, those are your recent comparisons for Geno.

However he's got three factors that might change the picture a bit.

1. He was extremely raw coming into the NFL. He didn't play in a pro set at WVU and he didn't pick things up really quickly his first season.

This argues that his potential is higher than what we've observed so far because he will learn more about how to be an NFL QB this off-season. He certainly learned a lot on the job during 2013. The question is does he learn enough to get over the top?

2. The personnel he played with was very unstable all year long. Every receiver missed games for one reason or another. He didn't have a lot of help this year.

When Jeremy Kerley played he looked a lot better than any of the guys I listed above.

Geno without Kerley: 40% completion pct (36 of 90), 0 TD passes, 9 Int's, 2 fumbles lost , 15 sacks, 5.25 YPA.

Geno with Kerley: 59.8% completion pct (211 of 353), 12 TD passes, 12 Int's, 2 fumbles lost, 28 sacks, 7.28 YPA.

That's like night and day for a rookie QB performance. The first stat line is "no hope" and the second is "might be something there".

3. Geno has a double-edged sword of an asset that the other guys didn't, his legs. It's double-edged because if he runs 72 times a year he is going to get hurt eventually but it also greatly enhances his value in the interim.

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I would like to see us field two starting caliber QBs next year. While it would be nice to think that Geno Smith and Matt Simms could be that good we need to put more eggs in the QB basket.

If we can bring Sanchez into camp to try out for a QB spot for free (or close to it) we should do so.

Bringing in another vet QB couldn't hurt either.

19. 101GangGreen101

I think we go into 2014 with 3 QBs on the roster. Geno, veteran (Shaun Hill, or Mark Sanchez if it came to being desperate), and rookie QB (David Fales)

20. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Are pick sixes on that chart? Are we only looking at the yards? Not the INTs? The dropped INTs? The buttfumble? The fumbles?

Apparently this is another in the long list of burying Mark Sanchez forever posts.

Well done Barcs, you've proved it. He's the worst QB in the history of all football. NFL, NCAA, HS, Pop Warner.

Dude, let it go. He's done.

_