was worried rex would say no

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by section134, Dec 29, 2013.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Disagree. I think if Rex was fired, and the TB and DET coaching positions open up tomorrow, Rex would be going there to be their coach. Two teams who underperformed with their talent this year

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Buddy was HC of the Cardinals after Philly IIRC

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

This is not over yet, I have a little Belichick feeling inside of me right now. I hope that is just being overly worrisome. The Jets announced he will be back but until he gets an extension and until they announce the staff is back nothing is in stone.

4. Mitch_Dumstein

Overly worrisome

Definitely junc

Definitely

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I hope so, I think it will get resolved but until official I won't be happy.

6. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Great thread we def needed a thread dedicated to intelligance like this one

7. Mitch_Dumstein

And a post like yours certainly added to the overall "intelligance" of it.

8. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

That would be pretty ironic considering Jerry just shat on his D by firing Rob last year.

I think if Rex says no to a one-year extension it definitely paints him in a negative light as far as being greedy and unrealistic coming off three playoff-less seasons. One year is all he deserves at this time imo. Rex can't walk out getting no extension either since he's still under contract, although it'd be unrealistic to expect him to attract a staff without even a token one-year extension.

Now if Idzik wants to make a big stink about changes on the defensive staff, this is where I could see a potential mushroom issue. Rex is a loyal guy, he ain't gonna want to have staff dictated to him. Although it'd be much harder for Idzik to fire him now that they made this public display of keeping him.

9. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I agree, and thought it'd be Detroit. Carl Banks said the same thing on the radio Friday morning.

He would get so much more out of that roster, with those DT's they have. I'm so glad it didn't happen. I think Rex could have won that division with that team.

I am a little surprised that they made an announcement about him coming back without a word about negotiations for an extension. He was under contract for next year, so all this was, was an announcement to put to rest firing rumors. It's almost as if Woody wanted to build up suspense for the attention of it. Doesn't surprise me.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Funny you should say that Junc. I'm not a Rex guy at all but even I found it odd that they would say we're bringing Rex back in 2014 and then let it out publicly that they want him to make changes on his staff knowing his loyalty to his people.

Just a strange, strange way to do business..

11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

are you serious or trolling? because there is not a chance in a thousand he wouldn't walk straight into another HC job.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think they want to get rid of Thurman for a more suitable defensive coordinator. They want Rex to focus on offense and defense evenly.

13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Why get rid of Thurman? He knows this defence as well as RR. I don't see why he should be let go.

14. NFL

NFL Active Member

There was no doubt in my mind that he would stay as Jets coach as long as he was allowed to. This guy seriously loves this team.

15. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

If they won't give Rex an extension Rex should quit and find work somewhere else. There will be a ton of teams that will pay him big bucks to coach their defense, if not another head coaching job.

It would be just like the Jets to bring him back without an extension creating a huge circus all year about Rex's contract status.

16. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

IMHO if that occurs that equals 5 more years in the wilderness :sad:

17. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

All the beat writers are saying they're working on the extension and it'll get done soon.

Now calm down.

18. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Until Jerry Jones throws all the cash in the world at him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

To be fair, there isn't a single person alive on the planet today that we could hire that would make you happy.

Can u tell us who you would like to see as HC? or will you just say "I dunno but we haven't won in 45 yrs sad face". Grow a set of berries pal.

20. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

It's my honest opinion. I think there would be a line at his door to take over as a DC, but not as a HC.

The teams being mentioned, TB, Detroit, etc. would love him for their D's, but I doubt they want him running the whole show.