The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

How much do you think Decker will command on the market? And what makes you think the Broncos won't be him what he wants to keep that group together?

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I think we should sign 2 receivers and a TE.

Jeremy Maclin and Golden Tate/Hakim Nicks/Jerome Simpson

Brandon Pettigrew at TE

And a Receiver drafted in round 1

WR 1- Jeremy Maclin
    WR 2- Tate/Nicks/Simpson
    WR 3- Jeremy Kerley
    WR 4- David Nelson
    WR 5- Watkins/Lee/Evans
    WR 6- Stephen Hill

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

re-sign howard and let winters season a little more and the line will be fine. add some depth to start grooming for brick and nick.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

thats not bad but i don't think we get both, idzik doesn't seem like the big spender to throw that kinda cash around. i think we get 1 of those 4 and a few off the bargain bin.
    its not bad though, if we go into next year with
    maclin/tate/nicks/simpson
    nelson
    kerley
    high draft pick
    udfa/cheap f.a. salas type

it would still be better than we ended this year.
    its going to be a fun offseason

5. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

that exactly what I was thinking, except JK would be ahead of Nelson. with those two there should basically be two spots that need filling for our best 4 WR's, which should be filled by a high pic k and free agent signing.the last spot(s) can be held by Hill in a newer role or a few lower known but hungry lower picks/free agents. KR/PR is another possibility.

Maclin, kerely, Lee, Nelson is what I'm looking for, at least thats my modest wish list.

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Not sure what to make of Geno Smith after year one. It's realistic to expect him to improve in year 2, hopefully we can add Maclin and a blue chip WR rd 1.

7. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Geno finished the season strong.let's hope he continues this progression into next year.we desperately need to get him some weapons to work with. I would also expect that there will be competition for the starting job next year and that may include Sanchez.

8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

It wasn't just a strong finish, but a major improvement in his play from working hard and learning how to be an effective QB in the NFL. The difference between his end of season play and beginning of season play is stark.

9. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

no way we do that, no even close to spending that much cash in free agency and then drafting a receiver round 1

we'll add a guy in free agency maybe 2 and like draft a guy at the top of the draft and a depth guy later and go into camp with 7 top guys battling for 5 spots maybe 6

Free Agent 1
    Free Agent 2
    1st Round Pick
    Mid Round Pick
    Jeremy Kerley
    Stephen Hill
    David Nelson

then a couple UDFAs for depth and dont forget Dwight Jones and Saalim Hakim

10. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

I agree with you. Seeing what Geno accomplished and how the team responded to him he will be the starter and the job will be his to lose. I am willing to bet he exceeds all expectations!

11. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

we have guys ready to fill in for BRICK & NICK. One was on the roster but did not play this year and the other DALTON FREEMAN showed well in camp and then was hurt and is on the PS.

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Geno really grew up this last qtr of the season, I feel really good about this season overall the way he ended looking like an NFL QB.

13. Mitch_Dumstein

A great last qtr of his rookie season losing only to Carolina on the road to a team that will.probably be playing in Seattle for the conference championship

Very encouraging and hopefully puts an end to the "Bring in Cutler" and "Ditka the Draft for TBIV" campaigns

#7373 Mitch_Dumstein, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  14. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Same. Still haven't made up my mind about Smith, but the Fins game showed that he's finally understanding how much damage he can do with his legs. He's still very raw, which isn't unexpected given his dirth of experience. For some reason, his overthrow of Nelson, who was open in the endzone, really urked me. Some of Smith's passes, especially tough ones, are perfectly placed, but the gimme's, like that Nelson one, end up being misses. It's frustrating. But I digress.

If I had to put money down, would bet on his sophomore campaign being better than his freshman year.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He did - hopefully he can clean up his fundamentals in the offseason. His footwork and timing really needs improvement. The 36 step drop needs to go too.

I want them to bring in a solid vet too.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It could go either way for Geno and the Jets at this point. He needs to have a really good sophomore season to tie up the job. He needs to have a really good off-season to get to that sophomore season.

When he's on I see a guy who could lead the Jets to a championship. When he's not on he looks like a struggling Mark Sanchez. One of those conditions leads to him playing QB for the Jets and the other to him holding a clipboard.

17. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Winning 3 of the last 4 and him playing very competently definitely earned him a shot at starting next season. This should be one of the most exciting offseasons in recent memory for me.

18. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

His numbers when Kerley is in the lineup vs. not in the lineup are definitely alarming.

Imagine if he had another couple quality receiving options

19. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Through whatever means necessary, this needs to be a top priority this offseason.

20. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Still not 100% convinced he's a franchise QB but I do feel he did enough towards the end of the year to warrant being the starter next year. I feel like they should upgrade the weapons around him this offseason and see what he can do with that. I mean, this year he was working with scrubs due to our injuries and general lack of depth.

If he puts out a similar effort next year with a completely upgraded offense then it might be time to start looking elsewhere. If he makes improvements then he makes improvements and it's all good.

A part of this process includes cutting Sanchez and I wouldn't be against signing a veteran QB to be his backup as well. Drafting another QB is okay if they are going to cut Simms and have that guy be the 3rd string guy behind Geno and this veteran QB that is backing him up. Needless to say I'm talking like a 5th round pick guy as our earlier picks should go to WR/TE/OL/OLB/S or some such combination depending on our free agency activity.