Woody Johnson addresses the Ryan decision

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 29, 2013.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

and the ceo is the guy put in charge by the board of directors, aka the owners.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Okay, so you've never read an annual report or listened to a quarterly or annual earnings report. The personnel guy doesn't run the company.

3. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

CMan I got a question for you. You seem to think that Ryan will be here no matter what so I have to ask you- If the Jets had finished 5-11 or 6-10 (losing pretty much the last 5 or 6 games) do you think Rex would have been fired?

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Guess who the Chairman of the Board is? Yup, the same guy who is the CEO. Need any more hints?

5. DMSMaven

DMSMaven Member

Very well put .... Wholeheartedly agree.

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Just got a thought.

I wonder if Woody deciding to keep Rex blew up the plans of other owners who were planning on firing their head coach and going hard for Rex.

The 10am presser for the Redskins to announce Shanahan's firing has been canceled/delayed.

haha maybe Shanahan keeps his job b/c Rex kept his?

7. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

I strongly disagree with the article. Woody has too much class to discuss internal team matters in an EM to the ticket holders. I think it was wishful thinking re Idzik. Its safe to say that Woody met with Idzik behind closed doors weeks ago and charted their course re Rex.

I expect that the groceries will be bought this off-season and the expectations will be high for next season. Failure to meet those expectations will be death with a bit differently then the present. You forget that REX is UNDER contract for 2014. Nothing had to be done! WOODY & IDZIK took the smart way which should lead to the winning way!

8. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Was thinking Dallas or Detroit as a landing spot for Rex
    some have said Tampa Bay

But Washington really would have made sense too

Anyway, it doesn't matter of course, but i never understood
    all the posters who thought Rex would not get another HC job right away

9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

People are so caught up in the process of how this was done, but ignore the fact that this was the right call. To play devil's advocate, what if Idzik had decided to fire Rex, despite the fact that his players fought like hell to save his job at the end of the season and brought in one of his own guys to be the head coach. We don't know what we would be getting; he could be a 4-3 guy,and he could bring on an OC with a completely different offense. Idzik is probably better than Tanny, but he has yet to convince me that everything he touches turns to gold.

10. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

If Idzik didn't want Ryan there, I'm sure Woody wouldn't have made that announcement so fast.

11. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Agreed with all of that. I don't care whether Rex answers to Idzik so long as Rex ain't picking the players or have a disproportionate influence on personnel the way he did with Tanny...but I think it's just a PR grab from Woody as much as anything else. 'I'm in charge and I'm giving you guys what you want'

12. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Or he would have made another one replacing his GM if Idzik went to the wall disagreeing with his owner.

I don't know how keeping Rex is 'proof' Idzik wants him when Woody was the one announcing it to the team, to sth's and taking full credit for it in the media.

#52 NYJFan10, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  13. New England Patriots

New England Patriots Well-Known Member

I'm thrilled with this decision.

14. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

No biggie here folks....we should all worry about other issues in our lives than how these folks came up with the way to brilliant decision to keep a coach who is still under contract.

simple bus decision and thats it. most of us would have done the same thing all things being equal.

without knowing anything about their relationship (coach and GM) i guess its workable and neither one wants to behead the other. u never know what a person brings to the table unless u either marry them or work with them full time. i guess both ryan and idzik have gained each others respect since last winter and work well together.

it didn't appear to be too big a distraction for the team. the media and fans made it a much bigger issue. but i doubt a similar situation evolves next year. i look for rex to be extended before the 2014 reg season for 2 years.

#54 jilozzo, Dec 30, 2013
  15. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

You mean like the letter stating Idzik is in charge?

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Wilkerson should have decapitated Brady in that 2nd meeting. Wilkerson won't miss again.

Yes be thrilled because we are coming for you bitches

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

No I don't think he would have been fired. Why? Because He has one year left on his contract and Woody wasn't going to pay Rex to coach for some other team. Woody also loves Rex's passion and so, Rex will have a lot more latitude than definetly Mangini had.

Its always good for the HC to have the Owner in his corner publicly. Rex became bulletproof the day Woody insisted he be kept as a precondition of accepting the GM job. At this point, the chain of command couldn't be further from traditional. Perhaps this is by design as it could be a window into Woody's management style.

Woody's team. Woody's rules. Like or not..

#57 Cman68, Dec 30, 2013
  18. New England Patriots

Rex? Is that you? Come on, that kind of attitude is so 2010. Now, instead of predicting SB's, you keep your mouth shut like a good boy.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Talk about old, I brought something up that happened this season - here you are bringing up old shit from like 3 years ago.

Have fun with your one and done post-season!

20. New England Patriots

I jest...from a purely entertainment perspective I wish he would bring back the old Rex. If you're going to lose at least make it entertaining.