The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

I was also at that game and Geno played very well against a top 5 NFL defense with practice squad receivers. Tough to defend him on his bad games but the Carolina game wasn't one.

2. 74

74 Well-Known Member

terrible was harsh of me but I wouldn't say it was a good game even though they're 7th against the pass. took 4 sacks because he can't feel pressure (43 on the year, wow). they started rolling him out every play just to run away from them. I'll give him credit for not fumbling. couldn't complete a pass, threw every sideline throw out of bounds. his game ending pick six into triple coverage was so brutal. used his legs to drive us downfield on a possession but that was garbage time. really he had one good drive. not impressed.

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

True. What we do "know"; however, is that for the most part QBs drafted in 2nd round do not get a full year and more to figure things out. And that's not factoring how well or poorly they played.

#7283 legler82, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  4. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

It would be great to see Geno close out the season with another solid performance (60% completion, 170 + yards, 1-2 TD, 1 or less INT/FUM) and come out with the win. It would do loads for his confidence finishing the season with back to back wins (which the Jets still have not done this entire season) and back to back solid performances.

Ideally (for me at least) the Jets win this week in convincing fashion, keep Rex/Marty, and get some offensive help this off season through the draft and FA (2 WR, TE, 2 OG). I can see an 8-10 win season next year if we have a solid offseason and keep the coaching staff in place.

5. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

Geno might not be the answer but no rookie quarterback would do well in this offense. We need good weapons so we can develop a QB. If we draft a first round quarterback and don't address the o-line, wide receivers, and tight ends, we're not likely gonna see more than what we're seeing from Geno now.

And maybe we'll see once we get good weapons that Geno could be the answer.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Dude, Coples leads the team in hurries - why would we trade him?

If Geno has a good game against the Fins (on the road) - in a do or die game for the Fins - then I may change my stance on the kid a little.

There's no bad weather so those 5 yard passes won't sail 10 yards!

7. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Do you not understand that using a first round pick on a QB- ONE PICK- is not throwing away the draft.

All of you saying we need weapons- which we do- are making it seem like if they take a QB at 14 that we have basically given up on getting playmakers.

It's ONE PICK. You are not getting a stud WR, a stud TE, a stud RT, a stud RG and a stud RB with our first round pick. You're getting ONE guy. That's it.

If Idzik sees a QB at 14 or wherever we draft that he feels is clearly better than Geno he HAS to take him.

We can still go WR, TE, RB, Oline with picks 2, 3a, 3b, 4, 5, 6, 7 and all our comp picks.

You are not rebuilding your offense with one first round pick.

_

8. 74

74 Well-Known Member

games where geno has had 60% cmp or better
    TB
    TEN
    ATL
    CIN
    OAK

here's a fun stat
    Rushing yards: 322
    Sack Yards: 315
    net gain: 7

#7288 74, Dec 24, 2013
  9. Mitch_Dumstein

Excellent post

Fully agree

Just like 2013 when he saw a QB at 39 who he felt could clearly.improve the position

My feeling is he needs to take the best value on his board with every pick in round 1-7 without giving picks away if.possible.

If a top 5-10 player is still available at 14-16 when his turn comes AND that player is a QB take him...if its a WR or whatever other position it is take THAT player

Stay with your board

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

10. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

the best QB's coming out of the draft will be taken long before the jets can make that choice, not that they'd be much better (if that) than a Smith thats seen a year of the NFL... a potential major receiving threat should be knocking our door when we pick.

we'll be going with an offensive weapon, its early but barring a major downgrade of all involved or a weird twist we won't be picking up a QB in the first next year. I can almost guarantee that.

11. 74

74 Well-Known Member

The thing is, we could take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd who fits that criteria as well. That's ok, however if a first round grade qb is still available when we draft then I will be upset if we pass him by.

12. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

If a QB is available and he falls to us, we can't pass up on him. Geno, to me, hasn't shown one way or another what he's going to end up doing as a QB. I am fully against reaching for a QB to create competition or trading up for a QB. If a highly rated QB on the board falls to us, we have to take him.

Random stat that means nothing, Geno and Russell Wilson have the same sack % to tie for 5th worst in the league.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Kind of like Nick Foles and Russel Wilson M I RITE?

14. TonyMaC

you know what I mean, the guys projected to go in the first will be taken by the likes of the Texans and Jags and such, by the time we get ours any Qb will probably be a reach (which i'm sure we can agree is something that should NOT be taken)

obviously a later round QB could still be taken. I'm a fan of going WR/TE in the first two to be honest, lets FINALLY address the biggest need the team has had for 2 years(WR), that will HELP the next biggest need (QB)

15. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Russell Wilson
    rushing yds: 540
    sack yds: 258
    net: + 282

Geno Smith
    rushing yds: 322
    sack yds: 315
    net: +7

huge difference

16. TonyMaC

i really don't get the point here, is this supposed to mean something?

I don't get why the differences in sacks lost and running yards gained is relevant...

Wilson runs more?... in an offense more built around the run?... genos o line has struggled? what? what is this supposed to say?

17. Mitch_Dumstein

I think the point is that MS hates Smith for some reason that requires him to scrounge up ways to piss on the cornflakes of any sort of positive comparison of Smith to another QB

18. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Dude did someone steal your username :grin:

I agree with you about 98%.

The QB position deserves to be over drafted a bit because of how important it is. While I wasn't a Geno fan in this past draft he was huge value at 39. If he becomes a franchise QB it's a home run and even if he doesn't it was a reasonable low cost gamble in the grand scheme of things.

_

19. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I just posted a random stat I thought was interesting. You're the one who mentioned Russell Wilson saying they're the same. they're not at all. Wilson has also had a bad O line this year and yes he takes about the same amount of sacks and fumbles but for every lost yard he gains two, geno barely breaks even and don't even compare the passing stats.

also this

20. TonyMaC

I don't recall saying that... Wilson's a better QB than Smith, unquestionably.

I think the only thing that points out is that he runs more often and more effectively, which given geno's reluctance at times is unsurprising.

edit: yet Wilson doesn't have any rushing TD's... I guess when you have lynch thats not necessary.

funny thing is Smith has the second most rushing TD's among QB's, behind Newton's 6. Wilson's still the better runner and QB BY FAR, but I thought that was weird.

#7300 TonyMaC, Dec 24, 2013