Jay Glazer: Rex Believes He's Fired

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DMarsh6, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The Jets didn't come into existence before 2009. Those other guys just wore green unis and played in NY/NJ. I guess you didn't get that memo??

2. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Oh please stop with the "Rex made us relevant" nonsense. The Jets have been relevant since Parcells.

Look at the playoff appearances since '98 under multiple coaches.

In fact, Rex now has the longest non playoff stretch since '92-'97. Parcells took over in '97, had the best Jets team since the SB team in '98 and they have been relevant ever since.

A few more years out of the playoffs may change that. Rex is heading that way.

Hell......even Herm Edwards was a FG (two chances) from an AFC title game. Rex in no way, shape or form made the Jets relevant.

3. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I hope he does not get fired. The defense is just a couple of pieces away,and I think Geno will be ok with some help. I wasn't expecting much this year,no one should have been.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

One thing I'm hoping is that this "word on the street" nonsense isn't taken as a dare to Idzik to fire Rex "at his own risk" so to speak. I don't think Rex is that crazy as a plan like that certainly could backfire. We already know how secretive Idzik is and this "leak" suddenly comes out after an entire year of Iron Curtain II.

#384 Cman68, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  5. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Regardless of what was or was not said by Rex to the Jets, I agree that firing Rex is a big risk for Idzik. If the Jets under whoever, take a backwards or sideways step next year,while Rex hooks on else wear and makes the play-offs, there will be a revolt.

6. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Yeah, just imagine Rex becoming the HC of the Lions and making them instant and perennial contenders.

I don't think it's gonna happen, but I'm afraid it could happen.

Depending on who our new coach is, that decision could set back our franchise by another 5 years (since it will undoubtedly impact Idzik's longevity).

7. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Exactly.... I am really concerned about this. And I don't care who on this board might scoff at this notion. With the Jets' history, there is no reason to expect that that firing Rex is going to end well

8. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

That could easily happen to if he goes to a team with a ready made offense and a franchise QB.Im honestly surprised it seems like every talking head,media pundit,and sports radio guys are all in favor of Rex staying.Even Fatesca

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

My question is, "Why are they all in favor of keeping Rex?" We know that some of them hate the Jets and make their living off of ridiculing the Jets. Could it be that they want Rex to stay so that he continues to provide them material with which to slam him and the team? I don't trust the media at all or care what they say. Most of them are a bunch of tools/hacks.

10. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Gotta give Rex and Marty one more year with some added weapons on offense. We aren't going to lose anyone major to free agency or retirement this season so our roster theoretically should do nothing but improve with a draft with a lot of picks and a few FA signings.

See what he can do with an improved offense and at the very least the same defense. I feel like the defense is going to be nasty next season, and without Rex, they wouldn't reach their full potential/

11. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

More likely he will become the booming success Herm Edwards and Mangini proved to be when they left the Jets.

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

What would Rex having success with another franchise have to do with the NY Jets?

The Eagles fired Reid and he is having success with KC and the Eagles are having success with Kelly. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The thing that is most likely to happen next year, no matter who is coaching the Jets, is a rubberband snap back to the Jets true competitive level. The level that they have showed all year, which on talent and point differential is about a 4-12 team.

The Jets are -110 in point differential and 7-8 in the W-L column. Those numbers don't usually go together. A very good coach cross town has his team 6-9 at -103. The other teams that are -76 or worse are all at 4 wins or less right now and headed right for that 4-12, 4-11-1, etc.

So the Jets rubber band back to where they should be and go 4-12 (probably 5-11 with Rex due to his defense if he's here).

What would the Jets rather have happening next year?

Would they rather have Rex on the hot seat and dependent on improving that record, as they did this year, or would they rather have a first year head coach and the GM both taking merciless fire all year long from the media and the fans?

I know what I'd rather have happen given the situation the Jets have right now.

It's possible the Jets will bring in somebody who is better at developing young players, particularly on offense, and that they'll have a great draft with several highly productive starters in it and everything will work out for us. I'd still rather have Rex coaching for his job with an easy move to the next HC at the end of the season if necessary.

All of this not even taking into account how much it would benefit Geno to have his current coaching staff for one more year as he tries to prove he has the goods.

#393 Br4d, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  14. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

So you're saying that you think they'll revert back to what they truly are next year which is about a 5-11 team?

If that's the case then why in the hell would anybody sign up for Rex to still be here next year?

You can bring in a new HC and coaching staff and they could pull out 5 wins next year even with a new system.

Hell, I'd much rather clean house and get rid of Rex and staff and bring in an offensive minded HC (or just a well balanced HC) if this is what to look forward to next year.

In this scenario there is absolutely zero reason to keep Ryan around as many poor coaches could pull out 4-6 wins.

If we're going to be shitty either way then at least rebuild this thing with a new coach, new philosophy, new system that can lay the groundwork to start putting together a winning culture again. Someone who understands both sides of the ball, unlike Rex.

We don't need Rex here to go 6-10 and miss the playoffs for a 4th straight year. That's a complete waste of a year and leaves the franchise worse off than it is now.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I feel I have seen this story happen with the Jets before and it didn't work out well...

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If the draft goes well, this team won't go 6-10 next year with Rex and Marty coaching the D and the O. I see 10 wins and a playoff berth.

You get rid of Rex - you will see the defense suffer. It's inevitable. We do this we will be bitching about how bad the defense is.

17. Br4d

It's not clear that a new HC can pull out 5 wins with this roster at this point.

All I'm saying is that things are set up to let Rex either build out of the mess he is at least partially responsible for or go down after trying to get that done. That's the scenario that best serves the Jets and everybody involved in my opinion.

There's very little upside in letting a stranger come into town and get punched in the mouth in his first season in what will be a very hostile media environment with a bunch of frustrated fans adding to the noise.

If the Jets understand that this was year one of rebuilding and that year two is still in front of them and may have a bad record associated with it then you can make an argument for letting Rex go and getting the new guy in to take his lumps next year before 2015 dawns.

That 7 or 8 wins Rex got us this year is going to look awfully good in the rear view mirror if that happens and I'm not sure that anybody is ready to live through a take your lumps season of the type we just went though when the end number is going to be lower.

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Next year the question is do we rebuild through the draft or FA? We can't keep all these young guys on the roster plus 6 picks or more if we are bringing in solid Vets to fill roster spots. It's very likely that young good players in their first year will need to be developed. Next year is likely not a big turnaround year 2015 will be the big turnaround year if it's going to come with or without Rex.

19. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I want Rex to stay, but it's a chicken or the egg type thing. Do the winning organizations keep coaches a long time because they are winning organizations and know what they have and are patient, or because the coach won a SB early in his tenure at that organization so it's easy to keep him a long time?

There was also the leak of punching Bill B. in the mouth at midfield which I think also happened in a players meeting before game day.

The other options is the Jets get better next year by hitting on their FA and picks and Rex or the new HC wins with them. I also agree with letting Rex play out his last year as long as Idzik is running the draft/FA not Rex like lots of people believe.

20. Br4d

Another way of saying what I said above is that Rex didn't do much to get fired this year. So if Rex is fired it will become clear in the aftermath that he had to make the playoffs with a last place quality team in order to keep his job. This was an unreasonable expectation and the Jets are going to look bad when it becomes the perception.