Jay Glazer: Rex Believes He's Fired

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DMarsh6, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

We should be taking BPA in the first round. If that means defense I'm fine with it.

A lot of interesting free agents we could add in the offseason.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With all the holes the Jets have, you can't tell me the BPA would be a DL or a CB. Even if that were true, taking another DL would be insane and not help the team one bit.

3. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

If Rex got a one year extension, he would essentially be working under a two year contract, and it would be a re-do of 2013 as far as his status is concerned.

If he does well in 2014, he'd probably get a a new 3 or 4 year deal. If not, he'll get canned, and it would only cost the Jets one year, same as if they can him now.

One reason why I think this could happen is because if Rex gets fired now, I think there's a good likelihood he gets another HC job right away, but if Rex doesn't produce in 2014 and gets fired then, it's more likely he won't get another HC job right away. And I think Idzik gets himself off he hook that way, rather than running the risk that Rex comes back to haunt him if he fires him now.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Exactly. Idzik appears to already have his QB in Geno Smith, he has a good OC and QB coach that can develop Geno and have him become a better QB. Now the Jets will go out and draft and acquire weapons to speed Geno's development. You give him a full off-season with new weapons and getting more of the terminology down and I see us making the playoffs next season.

Hiring a new coach now, will only set back any progress the Jets have made this season, and I believe the Jets have made plenty of progress.

Give him a 1 or 2 year extension. You do not give him a lame duck coach status with a 1 year deal.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With regard to your bolded statement, no, I'm not saying that at all. Things can always be worse. We went from Schittenheimer to Sparano didn't we? There is risk any time one aspires to improve, much less greatness. If Idzik is any good, he will make a good hire. If he isn't, then he wouldn't, but it's better we find that out now rather than later. If he fires Rex, and his new hire fails, then he might be run out of town, and perhaps rightly so. But as Cman pointed out, we've already given Rex 5 years and he's got more than his share of flaws and made more than his share of mistakes. Why wouldn't we give Idzik another chance? The fans should not influence Woody and Idzik whatsoever in how the team is run. It's Woody's team and Idzik is a professional. We're fans, and there's lots we don't know. If Woody listens to a bunch of fans and allows them to influence him one way or the other on Rex or any other issues, then he's too stupid to own a professional sports team and should sell it immediately.

6. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

What makes you think Geno is the guy, he has had a very trying rookie season. I think you bring in vet to compete with him. Not a broken down hasbeen like we have had the last few years, but an NFL quality starter. Give Rex another year, and get some talent for the O side. If it doesn't work, its time to move on

7. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think you understand how BPA works.

8. laxin

laxin Active Member

No Bradway, it doesnt make any sense. If we are rebuilding the offense, and Idzik doesnt think Rex is in the longterm plan, you go get a new HC and let him rebuild it the way he wants. It doesnt make sense any other way. We basically have to start from scratch anyways- we need 2 starting WRs, TE, G and possibly a QB. The odds of Rex assembling a competent offense through a rebuild is very low at this point.

And this notion that our defense will suddenly go from great, to horrible is absurd. This defense is slightly above average right now with the great defensive coordinator, Rex Ryan. Wilkerson, Richardson, Coples, Harrison arent going to become trash. They are extremely talented. Talent will translate to different schemes.

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

Where does this line of thinking come from? Why wouldnt Idzik get the offensive minded HC that has the same thinking as he does? Then they canwork together so that both Idzik and the HC work together to rebuild the offense to fit BOTH of their visions.

It seems like you are just making excuses for Rex Ryan to stay for one more year, despite the inevitable truth that he is not part of the future.

10. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

The problem I have with Rex could be summed up with one move today..just one move. I can go on for almost 3 hours about this move and what it means and how its filters down to everything from his game time coaching and decisions...but this one move is something that just bothers the F out of me and I want one person to explain this move to me.

On the last home game of the season, you have guys out there that in a non playoff season..have worked their balls off. They played hurt...they played hard. Guys that worked hard but were still killed by the media for their performance etc.

And Rex decides today that one of his captains would be....HOLMES. Please someone explain that to me. What does that mean? How did he come up him as a guy he rewards after a long tough season...guys busting their ass for him and playing hurt.

Putting Holmes out there can be the beginning of 100 discussions about Rex. I just want to know why he did it.

There are parts about Rex I really love....a lot. A ton. But this move? This is where my feelings of change start. Moves like this.

11. njjet

njjet Member

Is there another coach who could be 7-8 with this offensive personnel??????? Keep REX

12. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Well, it might have been discussed Tone isn't coming back to the Jets. It could be Tone has been a good teammate all year injured or otherwise. We really don't know, but if I'm remembering correctly the downside to Tone this year has been some drops and injuries, no off the field drama or stuff.

I feel like this isn't a very big deal.

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I see your point. Maybe he was saying "Thank you, and goodbye to 'Tone'."

14. jaywayne12

See, I do not look at it like that DPF. Again, I really have no idea why he did it..but it smells of why he made him captain. Desperation to get a good game out of him when it already showed in the past he doesnt care about props at all.

A guy that in the past quit on his team..a guy that says he cant throw to himself. The list goes on and on. There are so many guys that really busted ass all year long. Played hurt. This guy was on the field less than any other person even thought to be a captain.

I dont get the move at all and although i really respect your opinion..on this one...I cant buy in to that at all. This pisses me off to no end. Look at that roster. Look at that front 7 and their backups that busted ass all year long. The 2 running backs who took a beating. Even the qb who Im not a big fan of that played his ass off every game. Holmes?

Im sorry...Rex does things like this...I dont know.

15. jaywayne12

I hear you RB but there will probably be another 10 guys on this roster that have no shot of being back..and then there are guys you cant wait to leave and hope the door hits them on the way out and Holmes is one of them. But I can see your point..just do not like it.

16. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I can't be as upset as you, without knowing where holmes stands in the locker room in the eyes of his teammates. Without that, I really can't be upset.

I understand where you are coming from though. I can't who the other captains were, was it only Holmes

#256 displacedfan, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  17. Endlessly Counting

Rex is an iconic Jet. If he goes onto to success elsewhere, while Idzik's choice flops, Idzik's dead.

As for Woody, I don't think he's stupid. He thinks Rex is good for the Jets. When he stops thinking that Rex will be gone.

Rex can coach. He's not a Joe Walton. I think we are magnifying his flaws because we watch him all the time and post about it after the game. But I don't think he's any worse at things like time-outs and challenges than any other NFL coach.

I look at it this way. I think the Jets organization gets a big lift if it succeeds with Rex. I think Woody believes this. I think, all circumstances considered, its worth another year.

18. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

The organization gets a big lift if it succeeds with anyone. Who would care if it was Rex or someone else coaching the team?

19. Endlessly Counting

Can you name someone who will come in and win the SB next year, or who will give the Jets the same level of hope & expectation that they had with Parcells, for example?

Because if not, then we are closer to success, in most fans minds, at least for next season, with Rex in place than with a new coach

That's how Woody sees it, and I can't say he's wrong, at least for next year.

20. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Woody is the same guy that thought it would be a good idea to saddle his new GM with a HC he had no input in picking, I'm not sure if his rationale is something you want to be using to bolster your argument. Personally I'd rather rebuild the right way than try to limp along with a roster that hasn't shown the ability to rise above mediocrity jettisoning a coordinator here and a GM there every few years.

#260 3rdAnd15Draw, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013