Rex overrated... defense has been worse every year he was here

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Dec 20, 2013.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

who cares what ozzie did? through the first 2 years despite less talent Rex's teams advanced further, the last 3 as our talent has depleted Bal has been much better but w/ rex I guarantee they make a SB in Bal '09-'11 and Harbaugh is a great coach. do you think it had to be one or the other? Onely one could be good?

how did the good DC get us w/in a game of the SB twice? It's amazing, according to Jet fans our GM stunk, our HC is just a glorified DC and our QB stunk. How in the world did we win 4 road playoff games w/ these guys?

do you know why Bal is successful? Sanchez and Flacco were very similar until last year but Bal kept adding weapons for Flacco while we kept stripping them away from mark.

2. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Good point...they have lost a boat load of players that got them to the top. It's a good example to see how they are still in the hunt.

3. nyjunc

that has more to do w/ how bad their division is and how bad the AFC is. Check out who they beat it's not exactly a list of elite teams(I am not taking a shot at your team, you guys weren't very good at the time they beat you. they wouldn't beat you now).

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

:rofl: And I suppose you do understand it, huh? You are delusional, sir.

5. nyjunc

I understand it MUCH better than average fans like yourself. I don't understand it the way a player or coach in the league now does but much more than the average nitwit.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You don't understand anything. You are clueless.

7. If the Jets offense is simply average & functional..this team easily wins 10 games. They need to strive for a better than avaerage offense capable of responding blow for blow..but with Rex's D..if we have an offense that can simply avoid turnovers & move the football..this team is gonna be awfully tough to beat.

Maybe a great offense isnt possible under Rex. Do you all think an average one isn't possible? That's all it will take to win.

8. nyjunc

your schtick is boring already.

9. gopats88

gopats88 Member

3-5 extra possessions per game? Denver's opponents have actually had on average 0.08 more possessions per game (12.79 compared to 12.71), and most people would agree that they have the best offense in the league this year. Number of possessions obviously doesn't factor in.

Their "tired" defense has also only played 10 more seconds on average than Denver's defense has (30:39 compared to 30:49).

Maybe the Jets' defensive performance isn't being affected as much by the offense as you think?

The fact they have played the Pats twice every year is also easily balanced out by how bad Miami and Buffalo have been over the years. For every time they have faced a Tom Brady, they have faced a Ryan Fitzpatrick or a Chad Henne twice.

You can argue that Rex's offenses' ineptitude creates bad field position for his defense, but that would help their YPG ranking (which helps explain why his defenses are always overrated using that category), while hurting their PPG (which might explain why they are always ranked lower in PPG). Rex's defenses have often been good but overrated, especially in recent years, because people use YPG as the default ranking. It isn't as impressive when you look at it in that context, and when you start to add in PPG, 3rd down defense, turnovers, etc there is a clear trend in the wrong direction since 2009.

10. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

From the first post in this thread I can see just how successful Rex has been with our defense through the years.

He's been so successful, he's got spoiled fans bitching that our defense only ranked 8th last year.

Are u fuckin kidding me?? Top 10 defenses don't grow on trees. Do u know how many teams would kill to have our top 8th defense from last year? And our defense wasn't even that great last year.

11. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

You would have to give it to him because the ass won't pick it for himself when it comes draft time.

12. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

UMMMM, let's see Rex is the HC. He is responsible for the 3 aspects of our team: Defense, Offense and Special Teams. 2 of those 3 areas suck, so he needs to go. Pretty simple. He is overrated.

13. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Are you including yourself?

14. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

That is the most delusional crap I have ever read. Please say this is sarcasm.

15. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you said,Its sad really this orginization has a way of ruining there players and coaches by putting them in impossible situations and expecting greatness

16. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Let me use a baseball related saying, when you only have one pitch it better be good. Rex has no clue of offense or special teams, be has only defense, so it better be good and we have been beat up by some crappy offenses. If rex can't keep a top five defense or at least a top ten then what good is he?

When you put all your eggs, or draft picks in one basket you better be counting on a good basket. Just think how much better our offense could be if half those picks were given to the offense.

I great coach can teach up average players, but Rex needs great players on defense to have a GOOD defense. Cut Rex lose, we cant' be any worse with a new coach. Get us Jay Gruden.

17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention the obvious a Rookie QB and an offense beyond bad.There was no cap room to fix anything last season .All we could do was grab guys off the scrap heap and hope for the best.Honestly what did you expect this season?The only mistake Rex made was playing Sanchez in a meaningless preseason game and he got injured.And im not a Sanchez guy but i think we woulda had a few more wins with Sanchez then we have now.Teams who change coaches every 5 years dont win anything,I look at his playoff record and the fact that we beat NO and NE this year two of the best teams in the league.The guy can coach we also have a top 10 run offense ,The problem isnt Rex its the offense as a whole and bad coaching has nothing to do with it

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

Oh. My. God.

Do you realize the argument that you are using. Please, think that statement over again.

Psssst...Rex is responsible for the offense.

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I don't think a Rex Ryan coached team is capable of having an average O. He salivates over D Line and CB and hasn't drafted one good OL man since he arrived.

20. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

I know you like to cite stats, but ask yourself this: if you have the top running defense because every team you play can pass their way into the end zone, does it matter?

if you have the top passing defense because teams run all over you to score, so they don't have to pass, does it matter?

bottom line: the ONLY stats that count are : wins, losses, points for, points against. the rest is just bullshit.

there is stats, and there is impact. those four items are both stats and impact. :wink: