NFL.com: Holmes Willing to Take Pay Cut

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Dec 18, 2013.

1. vxvenom

vxvenom Active Member

I think Holmes is a locker room cancer. Remember the rift he caused with Wayner Hunter? Mark Sanchez? Calling out the o-line? Hes got talent, but he needs to go for the reasons above.

2. shelbyblue

shelbyblue Member

He knows nobody wants his banged up crybaby old ass. Just get rid of him, he is the last bit of cancer to be cut out. If Rex is here he better not bitch up and keep him.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Ok, but where has that cancer been this year? If he's such a cancer why has it been non existent this entire season? Yeah he's been injured, but he's still in that locker room.

I don't think he ever was a cancer. I think he was just the type of player who speaks his mind rather than not say anything at all. As wrong as it was, what he did in the huddle, he was technically justified doing it. Everyone wanted to say something. He was the guy who said it and took the hit for it. Everyone was sure as hell thinking it.

I would keep him. Like I said, he would be a cheap weapon on offense. Everyone on here is so quick to want him gone when everyone has been complaining about the lack of weapons. If you have a guy like Holmes who will probably be healthy come next season and he is willing to take a significant pay cut, you keep the guy. Thats a no brainer. The more weapons the better, even if he isn't the receive he once was. He is sure as hell better than guys like Salas.

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I'm not against bringing Holmes back. Give him a vets minimum deal and have him compete for a roster spot.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Holmes and Kerley effectively play the same position in the slot. Holmes can go outside but at this point in his career he is much better in the slot.

I think the Jets let him go. If the Jets fire Rex they definitely let Holmes go.

6. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

I just love reading some of the shit people day about Holmes on here. Did he have a shitty year? Yes he did but it not like Tom Brady was throwing to him.

7. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Holmes is at the point where he wont find a job in the offseason. The guy is toxic, has created a horrible reputation, is one more violation away from a year suspension, and honestly just doesnt have it anymore. He is injured constantly and overall is not worth the risk. Hes officially reached the status of what Ochocinco and T.O. were a couple years ago imo, might have something left but not worth the risk.

8. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

If it's for cheap, I would like to have him back. It's not like we're brimming with WR talent

9. Br4d

Holmes needed to have a bounce back year this year and it didn't happen.

Before people start laying into him for taking games off though you have to realize that the Lis Franc surgery is often a two year recovery process. It is reputedly painful the year after the surgery with the foot moving in slightly different ways than it does naturally.

If you watch Holmes on the field after a play where he winds up on the ground you'll see him look at that foot periodically as he's adjusting himself to get up. He's probably not having a very good time out there this season.

He's about to turn 30 also. It's a bad situation for him right now.

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Can't have it both ways.

Either its Geno that sucks and should be benched or Holmes that sucks and should be gone.

They can't both get a pass.

11. Br4d

Well it's pretty clear that this year Geno sucks. The question is does Holmes also suck at this point in his career?

Holmes has seemed like a soft receiver for several years now. I'm not talking the injuries, I'm talking the drops and tips and turnovers that seem to happen in his vicinity a fair amount.

Ever since the Philly game in late 2011 Holmes has been kind of an enigma and he's definitely been part of the problem, atlhough how much is debatable.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

haha just like I argued in another thread that IF Holmes is healthy and is willing to play for a reasonable amount, then Idzik very well may bring him back.

Searching for a true #1 WR is tough enough. Having your #2 (Santonio), #3 (Nelson), #4 (Hill) and your slot WR (Kerley) in the bank is a big advantage for Idzik.

That lets him focus on finding (and paying for) a true #1 WR, plus finding help at TE and both O-Line guard positions.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Dear Santonio:

Know that the vet min any team spends on you is the vet min wasted. You do know that, right?

14. DRC™

DRC™ Active Member

Want nothing to do with him even if he takes the veteran minimum

15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

In all fairness to Holmes he has been hurt all 2013. In 2012 he got off to a fantastic start before he got injured reaching back for a terribly thrown pass. Next year he will have a lot to prove. If he is healthy my bet is he has a very good year. He will be playing to continue his career next year. The problem will be how he will play if he signs a long term contract in 2015 assuming a bounce back year in 2014.

My preference would be to sign him to a cheap one year contract in 2014 along with a rookie drafted WR. Let him have his bounce back year in 2014. Then let him sign elsewhere as a FA and take the supplemental pick in 2016.

16. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Pats goin' sign him and he will come back and rape us.

17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Atta boy!

I am glad someone else gets it.

18. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Hence his eagerness to stay on board with is because he likely wouldn't get many looks elsewhere.

19. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Hey, if he is willing to pay the jets for the right to wear green'n'white then I say go for it! I would think that sort of contract would add to our available cap space as well!

Tongue planted firmly in cheek.

#39 Aewhistory, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  20. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

If the FO thinks that for even a second they need to be purged, the building needs to be fumigated, and an exorcism should be performed on all remaining members of the staff to remove any remaining evil. No one can look at this offense and be satisfied. You may see some signs of potential, I grant that. You may see some future pieces. And you may argue how many pieces we need. But lord help us with a FO that thinks this is THE offense.

Please don't say these things--I have a weak heart. A bad combo for a jets fan.