If we win our last two...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Endlessly Counting, Dec 17, 2013.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

the day I root for the Jets to lose is the day I decide to never care about football again.

2. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

amen!!!!!!!!

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

yep, i totally agree.

while an 8-8 record is not generally impressive:
    1) i don't ever want a losing record on my team's ledger
    2) 8-8 during year one of a rebuild is quite good, and shows significant improvement from last year. it would show we are going in a positive direction.
    3) beating teams in our division is imperative to me every year, regardless of situation. knocking the Phins out of the playoffs would just be gravy on top.

factor those things in, and i would enter that looooong offseason feeling a whole lot better. it would also dull the normal offseason venom from all media 'experts' who were just proven wrong. sounds good to me.

all that said, i think it's a long shot we'll even get to 8-8 based on what i've seen these past several weeks. I'll certainly be rooting for it though..
    Hope the team at least plays their asses off and has some fun these next 2 games, and makes it entertaining for us fans to watch.

4. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

This thread is not about wanting the Jets to lose

Hoping they lose to get a better draft pick is not worthwhile, unless
    your set to get the 1st pick and you get a once in a generation QB, like the Colts did three times (Remember, they not only sucked and got Luck & Peyton, they sucked and got Elway too -even though they wound up having to trade him)

This thread is more about how we should interpret what I sincerely hope is the last two wins

5. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

88 be damned, wins would be great momentum. Although half this roster might not be dressing in green next year (many might not even be in the NFL), it would be a huge coup if the Jets rode three of four finish, and took a 500 record into the offseason. Positive all the way.

6. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Why I learned to never root against wins.... in 2005 I rooted against wins at the end of the season against the Bills because I wanted Reggie Bush. Well we won the last game of the season and didn't get Reggie Bush. Instead we got D'Brickashaw Ferguson who I think based on pro bowls and being a cornerstone OL winning that last game was a blessing for this team. It also allowed us to trade back into the 1st round to get Nick Mangold.

7. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

An 8-8 record with the talent on this team would be nothing short of amazing. I'm rootin for the last two wins because I think a downward spiral will cost Rex his job.

8. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

A higher draft pick has more value and there are a larger pool of players available to choose from. It's very valuable. I can see not flat out rooting for the Jets to lose, but to really care about whether we record a "W" or "L" the next 2 games doesn't make much sense to me. This team is bad, we know that from the previous 14 games. It isn't like we lost a bunch of heartbreakers on bad calls, or played a completely brutal schedule and lost some tight games. I want as many assets as possible going into the offseason, and I want them to be as valuable as possible.

9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Sadly id rather lose, the draft picks in this draft are extremely valuable. One more win could be the difference between drafting a franchise QB and not being able to draft one.

I hope the Jets play hard but I wont be shedding a tear if we lose.

10. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

You play to win the game. Enough said. an 8-8 record with this lousy roster would mark success and progress from last years 6-10 record.

11. Mindtornado

Mindtornado New Member

Divisional games are always tough, but the Jets best chance against the Fins is if we clinch next week and rest some starters...

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Knocking Fish out of the playoffs on the last game of the year would be beyond fantastic.

Plus I don't care if we draft a position or two lower. We seem to do OK with mid round pics (Revis at #14, Mangold at #30)

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. Here's a scenario for you. I have no idea where the Jets will draft, but let's say for argument's sake that if they lose the last two games, it will be #9. If they win one and lose one, they drop to #12, and if they win them both, they drop to #17. Further let's say that for whatever reason Teddy Bridgewater drops in the draft and is still sitting there at #9. If the Jets lose both games, then Bridgewater is theirs. If they win one or more, they miss out.

Are you seriously telling me that you think winning those two completely meaningless games would be a positive then, and better than getting Bridgewater?

As a fan, I understand that yes, we always want to see the team win, and especially see it beat a hated division foe like the Dolphins. That said, the satisfaction that we get from a win is momentary. A player like Bridgewater could instantly change this team and finally give it the franchise QB they've longed for for so long.

If you would want the wins over Bridgewater, then I'd say you are being very short-sighted. Trading a win or two in what is otherwise a lost season, for possibly countless wins in future seasons. In that scenario, winning a game vs the Dolphins is NOT a positive imo and not in the best interests of the team long term.

I agree that you don't want the players or CS dogging it and hoping for better draft position, but it isn't necessarily a "loser's mentality" to want the team to lose meaningless games so they can get better draft position and hopefully better be able to get the players they need to take them to the next level. If that was what a fan wanted every year, then yes, it would be a loser's mentality, but when the team already sucks and has lots of holes, and the season's already lost, one time wishing for better draft position is not a loser's mentality. I understand not rooting against your team, but imo wanting to win a meaningless game when it could potentially cost you plenty in the draft is a short-sighted, immediate gratification, dumb mentality. Lower draft position doesn't just affect the first round, it affects every round and there are fewer players to choose from.

Both 6-10 and 8-8 suck, but imo 8-8 sucks worse because it hurts draft position.

I guess it all comes down to what we'd rather see as fans. I'd rather see the Jets win a SB or two and constantly go deep in the playoffs every year for 10 years then have a really bad season or two where they can re-tool and then be an elite team again, than have them never have a losing season and perennially finish 8-8 or 9-7 and hope they get hot late in the season, but never really having a realistic chance to win it all. I know from experience however, that probably most Jets fans would prefer the perpetual 8-8 or 9-7 finish.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. If one-third to one-half of the roster is different next season, there will be no momentum, and the two games won won't mean squat except to some fans, but the cost for those two wins could be extremely high in terms of lost talent.

15. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

This is pathetic! You'd rather get a "better" draft spot than knock our hated rivals out of the playoffs? Pathetic.

16. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

To me I'm always gonna root for the jets to win. A better pick is usually just a "Well, on the bright side...." type thing after a loss.

17. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

Well said ..... win, lose or draw - right now all I want to see is progress. Geno, Winters, Millner, Allen .... all of our young guys showing improvment. At this point that is what you hope for.

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

We used the Abraham pick to get mangold.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I noticed I generally agree with your posts, but I have to disagree with this.

It really doesn't matter whether you are picking 9 or 15 or whatever. Good players will be had throughout that stretch and so will bad players. It's such a crapshoot that a few spots here or there really doesn't matter one bit.

The only scenario in which I'd agree with you is if the Jets were like 1-11 and finished with a 4 game winning streak and they missed out on the number 1 pick to finish a meaningless 5-11. But the Jets are picking in the middle of the 1st round right now regardless if they win or lose out. It's not worth fretting over a couple of spots. It's dumb actually.

I'd like to see this team, especially the young players, actually show they can win 2 in a row...if they can. Knocking the Fish out would be icing on that cake. who cares about the couple spots in the draft.

20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

At this point the W or L doesn't really matter.....i am just gonna watch some of the individual players and see what they bring to the table.

let the chips fall where they may.