Nothing to play for... Start Simms

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by thirtyoddfreestyle, Dec 17, 2013.

1. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

We have nothing to play for . (Other than Rex's job) I would really like to see what Simms has for 2 weeks. I don't have any faith in geno. I was on the other side of the fence after the behind the back fumble. This guy is just absent minded the majority of the time

We need to pull a cousins and give him some audition time.

2. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

There is always something to play for including getting Geno as much playing time as possible.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Rex has his job to play for and probably needs to win a game. That argues against giving Matt Simms starts at this point. Simms isn't likely to win anything in a couple of late starts even if he's a decent QB.

4. Jetropolitan33

Simms most likely will not be on the roster next year. Geno needs to play. Like him or not he will be in a competition for the starting job with whoever we bring in. Playing simms is a waste of time.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Bingo. These last 2 games need to be about Geno and Geno only..

It shouldn't be about Rex Ryan (who they've had 5 years to evaluate) or a glorified practice squad QB in Simms. It needs to be about seeing if this young QB can string together a couple solid games or not, if he can play in December Meadowlands weather, if he can stay motivated even when there is less to play for, and it's even better that they are finishing against a couple solid defenses in Cleveland and Miami.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Geno has a lot to play for right now. Lack of motivation isn't going to be the issue. The issue is going to be whether he can sequentially make enough changes in his play style to be a good NFL QB.

So far he has made two changes. He is no longer a threat to turnover the ball every time he is sacked or carries the ball into traffic. He no longer makes routine throws into traffic, which has cut down his interceptions considerably.

He now needs to demonstrate that he can check down when he needs too and that he can look safeties and linebackers off of his intended target. If he can do those things also then he has about a half dozen more things to get better at before next season.

Don't turn the ball over needlessly, don't tip your throws to the defense, take what the defense gives you when that's all that is there. Very basic stuff that would give him a chance to progress. The last QB never got any of it down. Geno really hasn't either yet although he is making some progress on the turnovers.

7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Start Simms?I wish i never had to hear this comment again it gives me a headache so did"Start Mclroy" .They need to see how Geno plays these next two weeks .Hes played a little better last two weeks so maybe he will keep improving ,maybe not but they have to find out

8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I disagree.

We already know that we need to bring in a reliable starter because Geno can not be counted on to start next year.

Now we need to see what we do or do not have in Simms who remains our least expensive option to fill in our QB depth chart.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think it's a little too soon to say he no longer makes routine throws into traffic or has cut down on his turnovers. I want to see more when he has to take chances to be able to make that definitive statement..

Oakland, the offense was able to coast the whole game and he never needed to take any chances at all.
    In the Carolina game he never took any changes until the block punt put us down by 10 and he had to start coming out of the shell they put on him. It resulted in an ugly INT in the middle of the field (a bad decision in traffic)

This speaks to your/our point though that these last two games are big for him.

The worst thing they can do sunday though is play the ball control, ground and pound, slow it down and win old fashioned game.

A 14-10 win Sunday in which Geno throws 15 low risk, high percentage passes all game with a steady dose of Ivory might be good for Rex's security, but it's going to be damaging to this franchise.

I'm not saying they should drop the kid back recklessly all game. But absolutely don't play conservative or put a muzzle on him. We need more to evaluate more than we need to win sunday.

10. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Simms probably won't be here next season. These last 2 weeks are about developing Geno.

11. 518

518 Member

I disagree with starting Simms. Get Geno as many reps as he possibly can. If he takes away ONE THING from each of the next two games that will help him in the upcoming season. Whether we draft a QB or not this off-season Geno will be on this roster at least as the #2 and has some tremendous upside.

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Definitely no where to go but up.

13. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Our season isn't over. It's about one thing, and one thing only: evaluating our offense.

Yes, that means evaluating Geno, but it also means evaluating our playcalling (I want Marty to stick around but he has to show some creativity and strength out of our offensive weakness) along with every other position on the offense. That side of the ball will be turned around next year - we will be starting 3-5 new offensive players next year, so we need to see in the last two games who deserves to stick around. I'm looking at wide receivers especially.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Meh. I don't expect to see anything, good or bad, different from Smith in the next two games. I doubt we learn anything more about him. He needs work in the off season to determine whether he will improve enough or not to have a role going forward.

Meanwhile Simms is the backup, and has not had a single game all season, a single opportunity, to play with the first team after practicing all week. How do his doubters know he should not or will not be on the squad next year??? I don't understand that kind of thinking.

This is another problem with Rex. Rex can be stubborn, as we saw with Sanchez. As we are seeing now with Ed Reed. Of course he never exactly comes out and says stuff like "it is that because I say so!" But it's been pretty close to that. I fear one of the reasons he has been so loyal to Smith (with Rex being a classic case of how loyalty can be a flaw, not a strength, when it is misplaced or serves as a substitute for clear analysis) is that people were so over him for playing Sanchez in that Giants pre-season game, that he felt he should throw in his lot with Smith all season. No matter what.

This is no stretch - what if Simms got in there now and lit it up after having a full week of practice with the starters? that would actually make Rex look bad, like all those times he said the worst Qb in the NFL gives the Jets the best chance to win.

I like Rex, but increasingly I do not trust him. Everybody has an agenda, but Rex's agenda is increasingly problematic.

In the end, it will be up to Woody to keep him, or not. Idzik I am sure will want him gone.

15. VaBchJet

VaBchJet Active Member

Damn - I can't disagree with anything you just posted, and I'm pretty cynical about Rex. So we are not seeing an audition of Simms the next 2 games, makes sense now.

16. The 1985er

If it weren't for McElroy getting hurt Simms probably don't even make the team. If you're in his position you're just happy to be in the league.

17. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Yeah we should start a guy that wouldn't be on any of the other 31 teams roster.. good idea.

18. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I have no problem starting Simms. I'd like to see the guy get a chance. And he hasn't a decent chance to play so far, But I would start Geno because he's looked good the past two games. He's mostly listening to his coaches using his legs which was obvious on Sunday vs. Carolina. He's possible made a turnaround on his season after several horrific performances.

19. The 1985er

The fact that Simms is on an NFL roster IS HIS CHANCE he's a career backup.

20. vxvenom

vxvenom Active Member

LOL, and what do you think we are doing now? What makes you think Geno is any better than Simms other than Geno was a higher pick?