The jets just clinched...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Dec 15, 2013.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Rex doesn't make the decisions in the draft. The GM does.

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

GM is a front for Rex the General Manager. Didn't you know that already? Rex makes all the personnel decisions, and he negotiates the contracts himself. He just uses GMs as his puppets. It's been that way all along.

[/sarcasm off]

3. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

This thread has once again has certified for me that most people on this board have absolutely no clue about front office working in an nfl franchise.

All though i do believe Rex will be this years offseason scape goat. Which makes me very sad.

Anyone who blames Rex for the state of this roster should probably have someone hit random keys for them on the password change screen.

4. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

Lets look at our past first rounders:

2011: Wilkerson. Arguably the best player on our team. Hopefully no arguments from anyone here.

2012: Coples. Playing very well despite breaking his ankle. Who else should we have taken on the offensive side of the ball? We weren't taking Kendall Wright when we just took Kerley. DeCastro? I'd rather have Coples.

2013: Milliner and Richardson. I'd love to hear anyone complain about Richardson. As far as Milliner goes, he is steadily improving. The only possible argument to make here is Warmack, but he's been unimpressive. If you're taking an OG in the top 10, he better be a fucking all-star, and he hasn't been that. The next offensive player that isnt an OL or QB didn't go until 21 (Eifert).

Now, our second round picks haven't been necessarily good, but they've been the right positions. In 2012, we were definitely right to go for WR- we just picked the wrong one. That's obviously our front office's fault (albeit not our current one) but they didn't "ignore the offense"- they just made the wrong pick. Our WR corps would look a LOT better now with Jeffery instead of Hill. We were also right to go OG in round 3 last year. Again, if Warford made it a few picks more, we wouldn't be having a conversation about how bad our OL is.

It's not that we're ignoring the offense, we've just made some bad picks. Not saying that's not our fault- but it's not some overarching Rex philosophy. Hell- the first pick "he" made was trading up 12 spots to nab a quarterback.

5. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

I did not say bring in a college coach. And I am actually for stability and keeping a coach for a really long time.

But that guy is not Rex.

All HCs build and coach a team under a certain overall philosophy. Rex's philosophy is to be super conservative on offense and very aggressive on defense. It is what he believes and the way he pushes the team at the first sign of adversity. Rex does not want his team to score more points than the competition he wants the competition to score less than his team

And that is just not a winning philosophy in the modern NFL. You need a dynamic offense to carry you through games, but Rex cannot bring himself to play that way, he even stated so this week.

We have limited talent on offense, but the way Rex runs the team it amplifies the lack of weapons and we become really easy to defend.

His style will not change. So even though we should stick with the right coach and not continue the merry go round at some point you have to realize Rex is not the guy so you have to get someone else.

6. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

7. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Rex is 12 wins and 21 losses in his last 33 games. It's time to move on.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. With current offense talent, can you play any wide open, explosive offense you speak of?

2. I believe Rex is at fault with the things you accuse him of now back in 2009, and 2010. After that, Jets offense has tried anything but staying conservative. If anything, the dismal QB play prevented Jets offense from going wide open, nothing else. [Remember the Giants disaster? Sanchez threw 60+ times that game when the running game was more than functional. Does that ring a bell?] If anything, Rex officially took off his Ground-and-Pound mantra during the past season if at all.

3. Could you name any offense that features a QB as dismal as Geno Smith, and yet sticks to passing attack to the grave? Which offense is it?

9. Mitch_Dumstein

Keep Rex

Fire jonnysd

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You guys don't think this years first round was heavily influenced by rex? Idzik just happened to draft CB & DL in the first? Well what a coinkydink!

11. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

RE#3- Dismal? Geno? I look at it differently. I see a team with no legit. #1 receiver. I see a team with receivers that do not practice with the QB thus making it impossible to be on the same page during games. I see a team without a RB teams fear ! I see an aging OL that allows the QB to get hit like a drum every week. I see a TE who does not have to practice with the team during the week. I see revolving door receivers some of whom are starters now but were getting ready to flip burgers a few weeks ago.

I have mixed emotions about REX at times. I see some negative points. I see lots of positive points. I saw a situation in the 80's when the idiots running the team terminated a great , defensive minded HC in Walt Michaels. That team played their hearts our for him and because he dared show up Shula for a wrong thing he did and would not let JIM KENSIL off the hook by demanding he support him in his war with Shula, they fabricated charges and fired the guy.That team NEVER rebounded despite great talent on both sides of the ball. It was HIS team and they failed to win a SUPER BOWL but were primed to do so. The rest is history. This is REX's team. They play hard for him despite an obvious lack of talent.

Belichick did not coach well at Cleveland when he first was a HC. But he became a super coach when he got Brady and lucky, not necessarily in that order. I think he was smart enough to continue to build a team to compliment Brady's ability. The rest is history.

Instead of being quick to dump on Geno for whatever your reason is why not openly advocate building a team to help him and one that is suited to his talent ability? What I see is a talented guy with a crappy OL and receivers. I see an OC and HC trying to compensate for that by GROUND and POUND which is obviously not suited to Geno's talents. Its like putting a round object in a square hole.

On the question of Rex and Geno: did you have them winning the Super Bowl before the season started? When everyone was picking them to be 2 and 14, what did you believe? I think that GENO and REX did pretty good by winning 6 games so far with the limited talent and experience( none) that Geno had. Yet Geno drove us to victory in 4 games by coming back from behind. You, Stokes and others have an agenda to get rid of Geno so that Sanchez can stay as our QB. Its sickening and obvious. It makes no difference which QB gets us to the Super Bowl and wins it! Sanchez has demonstrated time and again that he does not have the talent to win a SB even with a good team ( 2009/2010). Geno is at the plate. Lets build a good supporting cast with REX as the HC and MM as OC and let Geno play doing what he does best! We can win! GO JETS!

#31 Kentucky Jet, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Of course. Rex fills up the draft board each year, right?

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. You got it all wrong. I don't want Sanchez. He's toasted.

2. I do want Sanchez actually. But Geno will do. Either will do, but not both. I just hope Jets draft a real QB prospect with some [real] offense background. Hopefully he comes with experience playing under the center, and has enough brain between his ears. Geno has none of the them.

When Jets draft the new QB, they should sit the kid for a year or two. Jets will need that time to a. get the kid acclimated to NFL and b. restock the offensive roster. Yes, that's what I want Sanchez [or Geno] for. Someone to take the beating till the team gets ready. Nothing more, nothing less.

3. I expected them to finish 7-9, but they might do a little worse. I was expecting too much out of that moron of a QB, unfortunately. Face it. Rex won 6 games last year with Mark fucking Sanchez turning the ball over left and right, and Sparano-led offense. And he did it without gifts he got this year. [Twice]. It had to be utterly awful to match that record - looks like it will happen. If Jets don't win next week, they are in for 6-10 this year. If you can believe Marty is better than Sparano and Schottenheimer combined [which he is] then that should give you a clear indication of what this Geno kid is projected to be, don't you think?

#33 Zach, Dec 16, 2013
  14. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

Just sell the team

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think rex has a strong influence on the draft board. It's hard to deny given the 1st round picks from 2010 to tgis year.

16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

We all commissioned dline was a problem, we went dline. Cb was a problem we went cb. We're staying areas of need regardless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I understand. It's very difficult for a great defensive coach to get anything done on the defensive side of the ball without all 1st rounders on the d-line and all first rounders at CB. With all that we have a great defense, 23rd in points against.

We should probably make sure we have 1st round DL and CB as depth too in case one of them goes down with an injury.

18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Outside of mo wilk we had nobody. Snacks has been a plesant suprise, could you actually sit here and tell me would be better had we taken an offensive player with those pics? Were bad enough as is, how bad would we be if we couldn't stop the run?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Next season the question becomes "Is Geno The Guy" and if the Jets think they wanna move foward with Geno then firing Rex would make no sense.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Quinton Coples had a promising rookie season. I wouldn't consider a 1st round pick with a promising rookie season "nobody". Kenrick Ellis was also a 3rd round pick.

As for taking offense instead, my point was just that Rex has a strong influence on the draft board. I think that's hard to argue otherwise given all of our DL and CB picks in the 1st since he's been here. Aside from that, it sure would have been nice to have had a competent LG this season.

Oh yea - and our defense still blows given all those 1st round defensive picks. But by all means, let's keep Rex because he's so awesome at defense. No one could possibly call a better defense than Rex with all that first round talent.

#40 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Dec 16, 2013