13 Games Down, 3 Games To Go. What Keeps Rex's Job?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 9, 2013.

?

What will it take for Rex to remain Jets Head Coach?

1. (6-10) He is staying no matter what.

33.3%
  2. (7-9)

18.4%
  3. (8-8)

29.9%
  4. (9-7)

7.0%
  5. He will be fired no matter what.

11.4%
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

At the time that Terry Bradway was hired the media reports were that he was blessed by Bill Parcells on the way out the door as the new owner leaned heavily on the departing majordomo for advice.

The Schottenheimer connection may have been in play also. I don't know how much advice the Jets got from Marty Schottenheimer during their GM and coaching search but Schottenheimer's last coaching job had been in KC and he was currently on the sidelines waiting for the right opportunity in 2000.

I don't know what type of contact the Jets had with Schottenheimer before they made their decision however it is logical to think they were talking with him in some capacity in late 2000 as the Parcells era drew to a close. On Jan 3rd Schottenheimer was hired by the Redskins. On the 11th the jets hired Bradway to be their GM and on the 18th they hired Herm Edwards, who also had KC ties, to be their head coach.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Woody inherited a pretty good football operation with a very good draft in place that carried the team for the first several years.

Woody's first real use of his power was to help NYC and the Mayor, one of the richest men in the World, put in a credible Olympic bid. While he failed in his effort to get an amazingly expensive stadium built at primarily tax payer expense, he did ingrain himself in the political and banking sector of NYC. Not to shabby for a guy who is in the philanthropy business.

His next big move after the Olympic bid failed was throwing his lot in with the Giants and trying to build a quick winner to sell PSL's in the new stadium. Using a brilliant lawyer and numbers guy to quick build the Jets.

During that time he hired and fired a HC and now after the quick fix failed has jettisoned a good lawyer and financial guy for another good finance guy.

There is nothing to suggest Woody is in any where comparable to the Rooney's who as you pointed out had to abandon their own model when Dan had to leave.

The reality of the NY Jets right now is Rex Ryan is the football guy who has Woody's ear. The other reality is Woody hasn't had a QB that the organization developed since Al Groh drafted Pennington a draft that included 4 Key players on the entire Herm Edwards run.

14 years of fielding sometimes competitive teams and multiple rebuilding teams doesn't make Woody Johnson anything other then what he is. A politically connected and financially connected philanthropist. If you look at many of the Jet hires, he seems to have that function firmly implanted on the Jets.

Leon Hess basically didn't care about the Jets. Leon Hess had one moment when he decided to put a football organization in place and he did it overnight. Woody lived off the remnants of that organization for a few years.

This is likely to be year 3 in a row without a playoff appearance and without a winning record. That's what 14 years of experience gets you when you're not a football guy and trying to run a football team.

3. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

Unfortunately with Woody and Idzik at the Helm listening to Rex we are in for a good run irrelevant teams for the foreseeable future. I'm sure after 5 or 6 years of this maybe we will make another change.

The NFL killed us by allowing Woody to buy this team. We are doomed until he finds a good guy to run it, and stays out of his way. Or he sells the team.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

To be clear I do not think it literally impossible for the Jets to get to the SB as long as Woody owns the team. It is possible if Favre had not gotten hurt down the stretch in 08, they might have made it.

But they didn't, that was that, and team is weaker now than it was then, and not near being a contender.

And since then we have had such fiascos as the Sanchez contract extension, the Tebow trade, insisting with GM candidates that Rex be retained, and several clueless public comments by our fearless owner. Why just before the Oakland game he said he was happy with the season. WTF?

He's not getting any better.

So while it is not impossible to win with Woody as owner, we can say he is stacking the odds against success.

5. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

imagine the amount of suck if dolan had bought it.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I understand your point. But it doesn't make Woody a better owner.

I wish we had an owner like the guy who owns the Ravens. He's a model owner. Let's the football people run the team, and watches his team win the Super Bowl.

7. alleycat9

oh believe me i fucking loathe woody johnson. he has no fucking clue how to run a top notch organization, the past 5 years have proven that. the fact that herm had to leave to get through that abortion of a period prove that. im just saying dolan is possibly more of a fucking clown than woody, which is tough.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Art Modell was the guy who won the Super Bowl in 2000, not Bisciotti, and Modell was a very active owner without being a meddler.

Modell was still in the building as an advisor for Bisciotti until he passed in 2012.

It's 2013 and the Ravens are looking a bit mortal again. They made a questionable call on giving Flacco the big deal. That's going to have effects down the road.

9. shelbyblue

shelbyblue Member

He keeps his job, this is a rebuilding and Woody just wanted to see to it we drop the clown label and the big mouths leaking to media. Rex has a resume with two AFC championship games with never having a top tier offense or QB. Why would you blow up the coching now when you comitted the GM to Rex and drafted a QB, brought in a new OC with a new system and gave the guy the most anemic offense in the NFL. At least a Two year contract.

#189 shelbyblue, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  10. alleycat9

so you are saying 3 more years? i dont see anyimprovement in rex over the past 3 years. i see stagnation and regression from the team on a talent and execution standpoint.

we will see what happens but i am pretty confident rex does not make it into next year. this will be the year they make sweeping changes. this already started with the cutting off of rex balls over the past year and loss of the clown label. that wasnt rex doing that was idziks doing in my eyes.

11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I would agree with 2 years being extended to his remaining 1 year. 3 more years total. The 3rd year essentially doesn't count though, as its extremely rare to coach on your last year of contract. So that would give him 2014 and 2015, ample opportunity to show upswing in this rebuild, or be shown the door at that time.

and what stopped the circus narrative was going 2-1 to start the season, with the loss being very competitive game.
    it wasn't Idzik, or a change in how Rex approaches media. Rex was very similar with the media last year and this year. They fever pitched the coverage with unparalleled negativity as the losses came in, and continued that theme straight thru the offseason.. that is until the Jets proved their over the top loss predictions incorrect. some credit should go to Rex for that.

12. alleycat9

i feel as though rex was neutered shortly after idzik came on board. his entire schtick changed DRAMATICALLY and it was well before the season.

i think and i will emphasize think that when idzik was hired he sold woody on a new way to do things. no more bravado, no more talk, no more access, no more clown show. instead he sold him on replacing it with competition and rex was told shut the fuck up if you have ANY want to be here after this year.

i think he complied and has been quite quiet since. the leaks have been sealed or gotten rid of and the team is being run like a football team again instead of a frat house.

i dont give rex credit for that as it is NOT what he stands for and not what he has preached since day one.

i also think things like his handling of the qb competition, and bringing in guys like ed reed and just automatically raising them above guys who have been here competing are really going to kill rex in the end. rex justs doesnt fit the mold, he is a im going to stand behind MY guys coach not a competition coach.

i also believe that woody does not like to pay guys to stay home, he was already paying tanny to sit home so he didnt want to pay 2 guys especially since it wouldve been 2 years for rex. and him being here didnt slow down anything rebuild wise. the jets didnt pass on a big name guy to keep rex. and i think idziks stamp, be it good or bad will begin to be put on the team this february.

13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    I'm not a big fan of Rex but I'd like to see a MM offense with playmakers and a little continuity for this organization.
    2Yr extension and no excuses.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. Anyone to try to credit Rex and the team winning early for stopping the circus atmosphere either wasn't paying attention, or is trying to rewrite history to suit his agenda.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I like MM a lot too, and would love to keep him as the OC, but imo it's not worth it if it means wasting two more years with Rex as HC and probably ruining two more draft classes with his lack of discipline and accountability, and possibly even another rookie QB. No thanks. It would be a shame since MM is the best OC the Jets have had in a very long time and one of the 2-3 best ever in the history of the franchise, but if that's the price we have to pay to get rid of Rex so that we have a realistic chance of building a consistent winner, it's a price that must be paid.

16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I don't think this years draft will be any issue in regards to Rex.
    Idzik knows, as well as Rex that this offense cannot continue to be neglected.
    The defense is not top shelf and it definitely needs secondary help but I think we'll see the offensive side of the ball as top priority in year 2 of Idzik's tenure.

17. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

How quickly some of us forget that this team went to back-to-back AFC championship games with Mark Sanchez under center. Rex has had the worst QB play in the league during his tenor and he still hasn't finished worse than 7-9.

Even if Rex had a QB of Alex Smith/Andy Dalton/Carson Palmer's caliber, we would be a perennial playoff team.

18. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

How quickly some us forget 6-10 last year.

:smile:

_

19. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

Right, after losing their best player, and only serious threat on offense, as well as one of the best defensive players in the league, in the first month of the season. As well as, in case you forgot, having the worst QB in the league.

20. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

I Think Rex will survive for at least two more season's. The team is depleted and hasn't had its core players on the field together for any period of time on the offensive side of the ball. What troubles me about Rex in the last three years is the lack of preparation that is obvious when the Jets take the field. We cant even do the simple things right. Are opposing team so dominant that the Jets cant execute? No, its preparation !