Veteran QB's for 2014

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TonyMaC, Dec 5, 2013.

?

What Vet should the Jets go after to play QB?

1. Jay Cutler

55 vote(s)
    37.7%
  2. Josh Freeman

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  3. Michael Vick

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Josh McCown

11 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. Chad Henne

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  6. Mark Sanchez

21 vote(s)
    14.4%
  7. Nobody just roll with Smith and Simms

15 vote(s)
    10.3%
  8. Nobody, draft a QB in the first round

35 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's not like Cutler is some great QB or an iron man. He's an upgrade from what Geno is right now but it's not like you're talking about Tom Brady. Cutler struggling or being injured wouldn't be a shock.

If Geno has what it takes he can show his development in practice and in the offseason.

#81 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  2. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Well Simms get no reps, hold a clipboard and still outplays the bust getting all the playing time and reps. I think Simms should be starting and yet our soon to be gone HC won't let him start over the loser who has been given all the prep and chances, but still is ranked dead last in NFL QBs. That considering there have been 3 undrafted FA rookie QB who have started this year and all looked better than Smith. Hell he is getting beat by Simms.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Comparing Cutler to those winning QBs that are willing to pass knowledge to the next guy to me is laughable.

What about Pennington to Clemens? Hasselbeck to Locker? For every successful scenario there are a million other failures.

Pennington was as smart as they come but Chad Henne didn't deliver as a Dolphin

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Only way the Jets will develop a franchise QB is to get skill position players and have a good young QB come in and grow with those skill players

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

1. You said QBs never sit the bench for 4 years in the nfl and then have success. I provided 4 easy examples of exactly that. I'm sure I could find many more if I tried. That used to be the norm.

2. I never compared cutler to any of those qbs. I just gave examples of something you claimed NEVER happens.

3. Favre is on record explicitly stating it's not his job to teach a young qb.

4. I don't think Bledsoe was much better than Cutler if at all at that point in his career.

5. The coaches should be doing most of the teaching anyway, not the starting qb. Geno needs to fix fundamentals at this point.

6. There are way more failed qbs than successes period. No need to qualify it.

6b. Your response was a failure.

#85 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  6. GeorgeJETSon

GeorgeJETSon Member

Am I the only person around here who would like us to draft a solid WR or two? Ours are absolutely retarded. Then sign a TE like Fred Davis, who is completely out of favor with the Redskins.

7. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

He's out of favor because he can't catch a cold

8. Thrilla In Manila

Thrilla In Manila New Member

I can see your point but Cousins has performed well when on the field. He performance has been very comparable to RGIII but with out the mobility. (I do understand that's part of his game). We can draft someone in the first round and hope for the best and start from scratch or we can trade a third for a guy with more background who has shown promise. I would take the second option.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

cousins isn't being traded and wouldn't be available for a 3rd if he was

10. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Anyone like Locker? Dude killed us this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. IBLEEDGREEN17

IBLEEDGREEN17 Well-Known Member

yeah we killed him too

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Maybe yes to Locker in 3 years when he is a journeyman vet who couldn't stay healthy for the Titans but seems to have ditched the injury bug in mid-prime.

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

What is interesting about Locker is that he has a $13 million option for 2015 which the Titans need to make a decision on by May of 2014. Which means it is very likely he may get cut or traded if the Titans and Locker cannot reach an agreement. With the rumors of the Titans moving on at QB possibly to Cutler going back home to Tenn it would appear Locker may be gone.

I really like How locker finished last season and started this season. He is a very smart QB that cannot stay healthy. His mobility and smart decision making works very well with our poor OL. He would be a good fit on a Rex team. He would be very expensive for a guy sitting on the bench but a bargain if he stays healthy and plays. I don't think a team can have to many good QBs. If Locker is out there take a chance. Suan Hill is the other guy I really like especially as he is more realistic coming at cheap price.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I see Cutler is winning this poll, for good reason, so I thought i would look again at the second place choice, which is draft a Qb in the off season. Here are the reasons I think that is not the way to go.

Yesterday's win imo does not mask that Smith still is far from being a competent NFL Qb. Imo the performance was of a piece with his overall season long inconsistency. We see in him neither assurance of success, of of failure. As a consequence he should not be cut, of course, but neither does he look to be a lock to deserve the starting Qb position in next year's team. So, in short, he will be part of the mix but hopefully not the starter.

Second, drafting a Qb would presumably mean either going for a high pick, getting someone who could virtually start next year, or a lower pick to provide some backup help. Doing the latter imo only makes sense if we think Smith should be starting next season, so I obviously don't think that is a good strategy. But who could the Jets get with a first round pick? It doesn't look like they can pull that off with any assurance of success.

Third, this team obviously needs to use picks elsewhere. Obbviously. Really go BPA rather than searching for a Qb in the first round.

Fourth, the Jets have a bad record of drafting Qb's. Awful, really. So what assurance is there that they will use a draft pick to good effect?

Fifth, the Jets will have cap space. Use it on a solid vet and use the draft picks elsewhere.

Sixth is all about politics. I dont see Idzik being forced to in effect say his pick of Smith was wasted, since Smith played well enough yesterday to avoid that, and hopefully will not revert to truly awful between now and the end of the season. THat being the case i have a hard time seeing Idzik go back to using a high pick on a QB the year after he chose Smith. Whether he should is beside the point, so that's not about making an argument along those lines. I just don't see him doing that after picking Smith.

Instead he cuts Sanchez, gets him out of town, and says we need a solid vet to work with Smith going forward, and we use the draft picks elsewhere.

Those are the reasons I dont think the Jets will go high draft pick in the coming draft for a Qb.

15. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Rumors already swirling about the Titans making a run at Cutler who attended Vandy and has a house in the area.

If Cutler is gone the best option is to cut Sanchez after June first - split is $4 mil cap hit over 2 years and try to resign him to a 1 year incentive heavy deal with a chance to start. Gives you another shot with Geno to win the job in camp and if not you have a QB that can play.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Who is the QB who can play in this scenario?

Seriously. have you not been watching Sanchez since December 2011? He takes one hit and his head is out of the game. He routinely throws the ball on a flat trajectory into the line resulting in a lot of deflections and some outright picks. His accuracy is still not very good. He still makes bad decisions on a regular basis.

Geno has been bad this year but he's been rookie bad. Sanchez is still rookie bad in some key areas after 4 seasons in the NFL and he's also gun shy now.

BTW, when a QB is routinely deflected at the LOS it means the rushers are reading his eyes and know where the ball is going before he releases it.

17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

You're probably right. Idzik is NOT going to sign a free-agent QB that requires a big guaranteed money contract. He'll most likely go for a steal in a later round and sign a veteran QB who is under-rated, but good. Think Chris Ivory.

18. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

2012 was a wanted throwaway season for the entire organization. From Tebow to Sporano to injuries -- that team winning 6 games was a miracle. Sanchez did generate a Jet record 32TD in 2011 and led the best red zone offense in football. He only had 17 INTs - what really killed him were fumbles and the main that help create those was Wayne The Turnstile Hunter.

What they need is a one year stop gap to get new skill players in, get them to develop a bit, and bring in a top QB via the draft in 2015. This way you can give Geno a legit shot to win the starting job and if Sanchez once again easily beats him out he was never going to be the guy in NY. Sanchez in MMs offense and legit skill players may surprise some people.

The big excuse this year for Geno is well there are no skill players...who was better on the team last year? You can't say well Geno struggles without skill players and no QB could get this team to win games. Why is Sanchez viewed differently that any QB that many feel couldn't win with Hill, Nelson, Salas, Cumberland, Ivory, & Powell?

19. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

The verity that twelve people have actually voted (one must assume, consciously) for Sanchez simply boggles my mind.

Cutler is, by far, the best quarterback on that list . . . However, I have just never been a big fan of him. He's a mistake-prone, consistently injured quarterback with an attitude that I don't see meshing well with the invasive, preposterously reactionary New York media.

Personally, I'm in favor of dedicating our off-season to drastically upgrading our skill-position players on offense and building around Geno for another year.

#99 slimjasi, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  20. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Go get Schaub for next to nothing from Houston.