The Rex Ryan Era is Over

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Quinnenthebeast, Dec 1, 2013.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

oh, I got you. I see that point and I think he was basically forced to start him or at least forced to hold the sham competition w/ Sanchez but now he may be sticking w/ him to stick to Idzik although to be fair they don't have any other choices. It's not like Simms showed anything last week.

2. vxvenom

vxvenom Active Member

You should check out Collission Low Crossers to get an idea of what its like inside Jets management. The GM - HC relationship is far from boss-employee. Not for a second do I think Idzik is holding a gun to Rex's head telling him he needs to start the shitty, turn-over prone rookie QB drafted in round 2 just because Idzik just likes Geno.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I've never heard of Collission Low Crossers. Can you provide a link?

4. vxvenom

vxvenom Active Member

5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

If GS gives us the best chance to win as RR stated the other day then we must have the shittest players in the NFL :sad:

6. Cman68

7. Cman68

Champ, it may be that Rex had to say what he said regarding Geno. Sometimes, people don't always believe the shit they say to the press and this might be one of those times.

Remember, this is a new Regime and needs to show continuity and consistency throughout its public dealings. They're trying to re-establish credibility in the process so no matter what his real opinion may be, Rex just isn't the kind of man that would contradict and in the process, make his bosses look bad. This is the new Rexy. Rex Ryan: Company Man.

8. vxvenom

vxvenom Active Member

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Bingo........

10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I just want to know how you go into the season with a reach Rookie QB and and an undrafted back-up with no experience. It was absolutely idiotic.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What you say about the base defense is true.

That said, with the rest of your response, you explain why it would be VERY easy for the Jets to switch to a 4-3 base. If not following this season, then certainly after the 2014 season I think Harris will be gone. Davis would then be moved to the middle. He has sideline-to-sideline range and the speed to cover backs and TEs. He just needs to learn how to do it.

The Jets could sign a FA LB who is good in coverage and draft one. At any rate, it would be hard to imagine the new LBs they add being much worse in coverage than those they presently have. Coples isn't an edge rusher or LB. Pace is too old, too slow, and his production too low for him to continue starting. MyIntyre might even be a decent option, at least as a stop gap, as a strong side LB.

It's much easier to find good, productive 4-3 LBs in the draft than it is 3-4 OLBs. Every year 4-3 LBs come into the league, start and play well. It usually takes most 3-4 OLBs a year or two to develop and that's IF they develop. The topflight prospects who can come in start and play well from the beginning go early in the draft and are rare. Jets fans would freak if Idzik picked an OLB in either the 1st or 2nd round in 2014, although it is a HUGE need. We all know how much the offense needs to be addressed. I truly think they could possibly sign one, maybe two 4-3 LBs in FA and not even have to draft a LB in 2014. Even if they drafted one, they could use a 4th round pick or lower and still possibly get a productive 4-3 LB.

12. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Jets, Jets

Don't forget that the Jet head coaching job is a really good one. A good young coach would take it in a heartbeat. Rex is a defensive coach in an offensive era. The day he took to coaching the defense himself he was telling Idzik that he doesn't understand NFL football in 2013. He had a nice run here but it's time to turn the page.

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

For the first time i think you maybe right. The Jets have collapsed now in the last three season with playoff births on the line. The only constant is Rex. Unless they win out Rex's job should be on the line.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think that was his plan. I think his plan was for Garrard to start unless Geno just blew him away in TC or Lee and Mornhinweg were miracle workers with Sanchez. Sanchez would still have been there if Garrard didn't play well or got injured and Geno wasn't ready. The thing is, Idzik's hands were basically tied. He had almost no cap space to work with. Rex stupidly put Sanchez in behind the 2nd/3rd string OL and Idzik's hand was dealt to him. What else could he do?

Here's the list of FA QBs that Idzik had to choose from:

Joe Flacco
    Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Matt Cassell
    Tim Tebow
    Jason Campbell
    Matt Moore
    Matt Hasselbeck
    Kevin Kolb
    Bruce Gradkowski
    Vince Young
    Derek Anderson
    Briand Hoyer
    Josh Johnson
    Charlie Batch
    Rex Grossman
    Byron Leftwich
    Tyler Thigpen
    David Carr
    Josh McCown
    Pat White
    Brady Quinn
    Seneca Wallace
    Luke McCown
    Drew Stanton
    Chase Daniel
    Trent Edwards
    Caleb Hanie
    JaMarcus Russle
    Matt Leinart
    Jordan Palmer

There were only a handful from that list the Jets could have afforded. I remember seeing a list of what the QBs signed for at some point this summer or fall. Jason Campbell, Bruce Gradkowski and Josh McCown were among the few the Jets could have afforded. I forget who the others were. Almost all the QBs on that list are awful. Flacco and Palmer are the two best, and the Jets couldn't have afforded them.

One can criticize Idzik for opting for Garrard over Jason Campbell, McCown, Gradkowski or perhaps another cheap vet. I could be wrong, but I think Idzik chose Garrard because when healthy, he was one of the better QBs on that list, was a good citizen and Idzik thought he would be a good mentor for Geno. I also think it's quite possible that Idzik foresaw Garrard starting and then by the time he started breaking down with injuries (around mid-season if not a little earlier), they could start Geno.

With the team in the middle of a rebuild, I don't think Idzik's #1 goal was the same as that as fans. Fans want the team to win as many games every year as possible and go to the playoffs. Idzik knew he didn't have the talent on this team to win a lot of games. I think Idzik's primary focus this season was on three things: 1) evaluating Rex and the CS, 2) developing what young talent he did have on the roster, and 3) see who could help the team going forward. With 10-11 draft picks and LOTS of cap space, he knew the roster could and probably would be radically different in 2014 from 2013. Wins were a secondary consideration this year.

In hindsight, signing Garrard was a mistake, but hindsight is always 20-20. I wanted the Jets to sign Campbell, Gradkowski or Josh McCown. They could have been longer term signings as both are pretty good backups and spot starters. I'm not gonna kill him for opting for Garrard however. Maybe neither Campbell, Gradkowski nor McCown wanted to play for the Jets. Not everyone wants to live and work in the northeast. Maybe they didn't want to play for Rex and his ground and pound attack or maybe Idzik just didn't like any of the other FA QBs as well as Garrard. Unless he reveals his reasoning, we'll never know.

Idzik may prove to not be the right man for the job. He wasn't who I wanted, but so far, I think he has done more right than wrong and has brought some maturity, intelligence, class, respect and stability to the organization. The coming off season and what he does with Rex, FA and the draft will prove his ability one way or the other.

15. Virginia Jet

Virginia Jet Member

In that case, I propose a disinformation campaign to convince Rex that Belichick's lieutenants now control all AFC teams other than the Jets, and that his brother's minions control all NFC teams.

I'm not serious about that suggestion, but I think you've hit on something valuable in observing who Rex Ryan can beat. For the record, I'm not in favor of putting him on the chopping block, because I'm not convinced that the team he's able to field is solely his responsibility. The team was picked for an awful finish, and they're still theoretically capable of beating that prediction, right? I'm also not convinced that there's a viable alternative out there available for Johnson to take if Ryan goes. I certainly don't want Shanahan out of Washington if indeed he becomes available for assignment.

I'll probably pick up a copy of that book soon; it would be very interesting to see how the Jets system functions.

16. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Cman tks but you are only PRESUMING in what U posted is actually fact & it does not factor into that the NYJs have one of the shittiest roster in the NFL at the present time. :sad:

17. Cman68

Even if the Jets have the shittiest roster in the NFL, do you think Rex could come out publicly and say that? Not without punching his own ticket out of town.

Lets be practical here Champ. Rex was in a bad position and had to toe the company line. What you read isn't necessarily what it is..

18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The only constant is Rex over the last 3 seasons?

How about extremely turnover prone QB's, WR's and TE's pulled off the street that cannot create separation or hang onto the ball, and Oline play that has been suspect in pass pro?
    That has all been pretty consistent, and a huge part of the problem.

I thought Rex's worst job was actually 2011. It was a really poor coaching year in my opinion.
    These last 2 years, I'm amazed we've come up with wins at all with these starting lineups.

All that said, losing out this year 7 games straight should get any coaching staff fired. Let's see how the next 4 go first. winning out would be a miracle with this squad of players, so that should not even be a consideration, and would only set you up for disappointment if you are hoping for that.
    Lombardi himself couldn't get the next 4 unless the player execution somehow improved 10fold overnight.

19. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

We'd be foolish to fire Rex... We need some damn talent on offense and a serviceable QB. Who the hell do we have on offense other than a few aging pro-bowlers on the O-line and Chris Ivory? We need to keep Rex Ryan.

20. TheCleaner

TheCleaner Active Member

this ^^^^ and what if you do get rid of Rex ?? who do bring in ???

Rex needs players and then we will succeed. F the front office for giving him this crap personnel. I personally would hate to see him leave.

It's not Rex

Give him a supporting cast and He'll kick ass,
    You will all be sorry 2 yrs down the road if they can Him.

#300 TheCleaner, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013