2013-14 New York Yankees Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

If he is healthy its a good move, that price tag sucks though...

2. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

You're right. He hit 32 HRs in 660 ABs in 2011.

And in his other 2252 ABs, he has 33 HRs.

Listen, the truth is once they signed McCann I would've been furious if they didn't go balls out after forfeiting a first round pick. But his anomaly year aside, you and I both know Ellsbury is not that much better than Gardner and they just gave him $153M.

But again, if they couldn't care less about the money and this won't stop them from spending as much as possible both at the major and minor league level, whatever. Just don't make me sit through another year of Vernon Wells.

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

That's a pretty big "if" Poeman....and I agree, the terms stink.

Guy has a spotty durability record and at 30 yrs. old you give him 7 years at that price?

Games played (7 seasons):

2007 - 33
    2008 - 145
    2009 - 153
    2010 - 18
    2011 - 158
    2012 - 74
    2013 - 134

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Only thing I like about the deal is that is pisses off Red Sox fans. Guy will probably be on the 60 day DL to start the year.

Sounds like Cano is gone. Fuck em. Heard were looking at Brett Anderson, not a bad bottom rotation guy.

5. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Still mum about Jacoby. Obviously if he can stay healthy he'll be a great addition, but there lies the problem. Cano is good, but other than hitting HR's, he is average at 2nd and doesn't run the bases for shit.

6. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

He is the kind of player the Yanks need to start signing. I love the signing..too much money..too long? Yes...but its the Yanks guys..lets not fool ourselves here.

The boys finally heard the old man tell them that to fill the stands and hundreds of dollar seats, you cant have a self imposed cap. The old man always knew that. As far as Cano goes? Love his numbers...but he is not the kind of guy you build championships around. A guy that walks to first and just seems like losing doesnt keep him up at night.

I know that might sound unfair...thats just the feeling I get.

7. jaywayne12

hmmmm....i dont understand this. Slightly better? Gardner is one of the most inconsistent play makers in MLB. He completely disappears for weeks at a time. His stolen base numbers dropped...his power numbers peaked.

He plays a very solid center field but a HEALTHY J.E. is a huge improvement. I get the healthy part..but Gardner hasnt exactly been a 150 game a year guy either.

8. jaywayne12

Bingo...thats it. The bolded part. Hits over 300 in 5 playoff seasons. Thats what the Yanks need to start paying attention too. Clutch. Thats what made the Red Sox so good the past 12 years. From Ramirez to Ortiz. The hard nosed guys they got last year were the difference.

You look at the teams that go far nowadays and its hard nosed guys. The Yanks have been weakened in that department by 1 or 2 guys a year for the past 5 years and it started to show except the one year AROD decided to hit the ball in the fall.

its all about mental edge...and thats why to sign Cano would be great..but he is not the kind of guy that I want to build my team around. He is the kind of guy that puts up the numbers to enter the party in October. J.E and McCaan are the mentally tough guys that will deliver past then. Not to say Cano could not have a big October...I just wouldnt put all my eggs in that basket.

#28 jaywayne12, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  9. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Yankees simply don't learn. Another awful contract.

10. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

One things for sure, he won't be wearing #2!

11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Bad contract but Yankees make enough money so I don't really care about it. We need guys who can hit come playoff time. Add a few more clutch players so we don't lose another series to frigging Tigers again.

12. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

That contract is bad, seven years, 153 Million, about 21.5 a year? wtf?

13. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Did you know the Yankees actually lose money every year? fun fact.

agreed about everything else though.

The Yankees must really be anticipated ARod being suspended for the rest of the year if they have ANY intentions of still getting under that $189M threshold

14. SixFeetDeep

SixFeetDeep Red Hot Robbie Cano

"if Ellsbury averages 4 WAR (was worth 5.8 in 2013) and each WAR is worth $5.5 mil in today’s dollars on the free agent market, that’s about $22 million in annual value. Over 7 years, that equates to $154 million, which is spot on to his contract."

15. 3xNFLChampion

3xNFLChampion Banned

He is an awesome weapon right now, when healthy. Enjoyed him in a RS uni but never would get that $ from them, way too risky.
    Johnny Damon,?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

16. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

He won't average 4 WAR. He's now 30 (turning 31 during the first season of the deal), meaning his athletic skills are on the decline.

He's averaged 3 WAR over his career.

I'd bet a substantial amount of money on him not averaging 4 WAR over the duration of this contract.

You could've made the same argument with A-Rod. It's complete nonsense. You're not getting the Ellsbury at his peak for most of this contract, and even Ellsbury at his peak couldn't stay healthy long enough to get close to averaging 4 WAR. He's only even exceeded 3 WAR in a season twice in his career, according to Baseball Reference. More reasonable would be hoping he averages 2.5 WAR over the 7 years. That's $13.75 million in annual value. Over 7 years, that equates to $96.25 million, which is far less than his contract.

In other words, the Yankees overpaid. It's justified the same way all the other bad contracts were justified. "It's the Yankees, they can afford it."

Well, they did talk a lot about staying under the threshold, and I fail to see how they're going to fill all their holes now and still stay under the threshold with this contract added in.

17. nycarl

nycarl Active Member

I could see paying him the $21.5 since he's such a valuable player, but for 5 years at most. What is it with these long, fully guaranteed contracts? Pujols and Arod making over $25m past age 40? Prince Fielder $24m at 37? These owners are nuts! I can sorta see someone like Clayton Kershaw, not even in his prime yet, with a long term deal, but not for a player already in his prime. You're screwing your team half way down the road. I'm sure the Yankees wish they didn't have to pay Texeira what he's making and he'd probably be gone via trade if his contract wasn't so long. The Twins will end up regretting Joe Mauer's contract length too.

18. jaywayne12

For them to be buyers again..and big buyers..they either know something about the AROD case for this year..or they dont care anymore. Either way, Hank did say winning first..189 payroll second.

WAR does not figure in some other things about a player though Yis. You could have two exact type players put up the same numbers. You look up and down the lineup for the Red Sox and you see some value but what you also see is many things that do not show up in the box score.

Some times the Yanks get that...some times they dont. The Red Sox understood that until the one time they had enough money to pounce and all of those players ended up on the Dodgers it seems.

Too much money..etc...you need at least 3 guys with his makeup in your lineup. Thats my personal opinion and I can easily be wrong. When the Red Sox signed several of those players last year, they were killed by their local media. It just works if you have the talent around guys like him. Is that too much money for a guy like him? Yeah...but the Yanks put themselves in the position to have to pay for players like that. I just dont think its a major overpay. Have seen much worse by this team.

With their minor league system...I have no idea how Cashman has his job...anyone could spend that kind of money and have success. But thats for another day.

#38 jaywayne12, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  19. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

He's the one that brought up WAR. I'm skeptical of the claim that 1 WAR is worth 5.5 million in the first place, but even if that's the case, there's no way the numbers work.

I would say this was an overpay even if Ellsbury didn't have his injury history, because signing a speed player at 30 years old to a 7 year deal never works out. With the injuries, that makes it a significant overpay.

20. jaywayne12

Yeah..I agree with you about the overpay. Was reading its the 3rd highest contract total for an outfielder..I get your point totally.

My selfishness just says the Yankees are desperate for the Ellsburys of the world. If the decide to put Gardner in left field...i love the speed and grit. But I totally hear you.