2013-14 New York Yankees Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Nov 1, 2013.

1. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Officially the offseason and has to be a good one for the Yanks or else they could continue to spiral.

I'm pretty intrigued wiht Masahiro Tanaka. Even with a high posting fee could be a #2 type starter for a similar salary to Darvish.

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Im hearing the Yanks will be players in FA despite having the goal of being under $189m. We'll see about that. Priority should be locking up Cano. I expect Kuroda to be resigned and the 2014 rotation to be something like CC> Kuroda> Nova> Pineda> Phelps/Young guy. Maybe they bring in a vet to compete, its really hard to say what they will do because of the $189m figure.

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't think they're staying under 189. Although to credit Cashman, it does seem our one year signings of veterans have been successful the last two years due when the players weren't required to be everyday players.

The Jeter deal is interesting because it seems the Yankees spent more money to save money b/c of the luxury tax. I don't understand the CBA though and how exactly it worked out like this for the Yankees. I guess incentives in a contract count against the tax even if they aren't reached, so by giving Jeter more money but than his player option, but less than his player option plus incentives they spent a few more but saved some.

EDIT: I'm reading more and maybe it doesn't save luxury tax, the Yankees didn't want Jeter to opt out and go through ugly negotiations where in the PR department Jeter wins.

4. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

I think the key to the Yankees is getting 1 or 2 core bats to add to the Cano because they need a stronger lineup. They'll be getting Teixeira back and getting McCann and/or Beltran will help the lineup. Other approach is identifying mid range bats that could have an impact.

In terms of pitching I would love to get Tanaka and I read that the Yankees love him also. Need CC to have a bounce back year and need Pineda to actually pitch. Would also be nice to get Kuroda back and rested as well.

Seems like a lot of big money spending. But don't see a chance to stay under 189 if they want to be good.

People complain that the Yankees buy championships, but many of them will shop at Walmart or go to Disney. It's foolish to have money and not spend it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

McCann would be a good addition. I think a bounceback year from Granderson is in order, then u add in Tex and the lineup aint so bad. Is Soriano coming back?

6. displacedfan

Yeah I actually forgot about Tex. If him and Grandy can get into a groove and not get hurt, that makes the lineup better.

I agree, I don't see us staying under 189 and being a great team

The buying is silly, because as we see with many teams, it doesn't guarantee anything. It helps having money, but the Red Sox, Angels, Yankees, Phillies and other teams can tell you having and spending a lot of money doesn't guarantee anything.

7. displacedfan

8. displacedfan

9. JETS1457

JETS1457 Member

How's McCann's defense? Did his pitchers in ATL like him? I was starting to get used to defense first catchers.

10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Nice. I wanted us to get him. Right on.

11. The_NYTitan

The_NYTitan Member

Soriano better come back hes got a bat

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Good pick up. Hopefully Cano signs soon.

13. TheCoolerGlennFoley

Love the McCann signing. Could hit 25+ homers in Yankee Stadium.

Interesting how small of a market it looks like Cano has right now. If they can sign him to a 7 year deal at $175 or under I'd consider that a win.

Still need pitching. Just bringing back Kuroda wouldn't be enough.

14. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Starting to think Arod may be right. Is there any chance the Yankees are behind all of this trying to get rid of his contract?

Cano and Jayz are both out of their minds. Hopefully they come back to reality and the Yankees can sign him.

15. displacedfan

Yeah really like having an offensive force from the catcher position, that will be a nice change from recent times.

I think the Rangers might make a run at Cano now after their trade.

16. TheCoolerGlennFoley

If you're the Rangers and getting an additional $45 mil from TV deals, wouldn't you now trade Profar & Moreland to Tampa for David Price and then sign Cano to big money? Almost makes too much sense.

17. displacedfan

18. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

$150M for a slightly better Brett Gardner.

Only the Yankees.

19. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

while I don't like the signing, you can't really compare him and Gardner. Ellsbury hit over 30 HRs just a couple years ago

20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I think it's a great signing as long as he stays healthy. Big-time clutch player. Position players play well into their late 30's now. He should have some big years in pinstripes. There's no way in hell they'll be under $189 mil but who cares as long as they're winning.