Dee Miliner...have I missed something?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Derty, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

Hill is not an NFL caliber player. He runs straight line fast, that's it. In and out of cuts he's painfully slow, has zero idea on how to properly attack the football in the air, cant get off the line in press coverage, runs with his head down....there's just nothing there. He doesn't have any instincts to play at this level. He's worse than Heyward-Bay if that's even possible.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

wrong thread pardner...

3. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

I know but Hill was being talked about on the previous page

4. JustaJetFan

JustaJetFan Member

Have you been watching the games? Your response sounds incredibly ignorant, and it seems like you only pay attention to his mistakes rather than his good moments.

You can use the "if the QB was making perfectly accurate throws" against any CB in the league. His closing speed to knock down the pass on 4th down, while turning his head, was a great play. Milliner is learning the game, and it's obvious that he's improving if you've watched him from the first game he played in to right now.

As for you declaring he's a bust, I'm glad that the Jets coaching staff isn't as shortsighted as you are. Players take time to develop and Milliner is developing at a pace that some people aren't happy with.

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why all they hate toward Milner? He clearly has size and amazing athletic ability to play CB in the NFL at a high level. He's a rookie playing press coverage with some of the worst safeties in the NFL. He actually started showing improvement and Rex decided to bench one of the safeties when things were actually improving to put Ed Reed in the starting lineup.

Cromartie has been every bit as awful as Milner and he has loads of experience.

Milner looks awful at times but you can see he has elite speed and other great athletic attributes to play the position. He also seems to actually give a shit when he is beat.

He's also been practicing against outright scrubs since he got into the NFL. That doesn't actually prepare you for NFL quality WR's.

I'm willing to wait it out on Milner. I can see the upside. Doesn't mean it will happen but it's way to soon to write him off as a bust.

6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

It's never that simple. Oh yeah, lets just avoid drafting Alabama defense players. That's what smart coaches do. :lol: It's not about believing in the player, it's about understanding where they are in their development. Stop expecting all draft picks to break out in year 1 and labeling them busts if they don't. It's not only piss poor logic, it's piss poor support of your team. God forbid we support and encourage our young players instead of bashing them. I don't know if it's a new york thing or what. So many of you have no fucking patience whatsoever. Hell yes, I'm going to support the youth on the team because they will be our backbone in a few years and the haters will look stupid as usual. Couch coaches and GMs everywhere.

#586 Barcs, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  7. Jett Travolta

Jett Travolta Banned

man it's milliner

its week 14 already and you still dont know his name? he gets thrown at 30 times a game!

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

McGloin will probably know how to spell his name by midweek. I'm pretty sure the M is capitalized regardless of the number of l's and i's

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

We can now look forward to at least once a game watching Milliner get burned for a deep one.

What's even worse is that he has started giving a massive cushion to avoid getting beat deep. The result? He's getting nickel and dimed down the field AND STILL getting beat deep.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I think Milliner was benched mostly because he totally misplayed that tackle, not for his overall play in the game. He made some nice plays, and I do see some improvment in his play. He started out the year injured and without adequate practice, in addition to being a rookie. I also am not sure he will succeed, but it is premature to lablel him a bust. I agree.

11. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

You're not the only person in the fan base who realizes that rookies take time to develop. We all get it. The fact is, Milliner has managed to make ZERO plays this year. None. If he was getting burned by more experienced players, but making a big play here or there, nobody would be complaining. But he's been a total disaster. If not ... he wouldn't have played himself to the bench three times already.

Players who develop into stars show a little something special right off the bat. I can't remember a single Jet player who sucked from day one ... showed absolutely nothing in competition, and then did a complete 180. If you can name some, be my guest.

You think it's too early to call him a bust, fine. But the fact is, highly drafted players who show nothing in the beginning of their careers almost always turn out to be Vernon Gholston, Dwaye Robertson, Johnny Mitchell, Lam Jones, Blair Thomas, Anthony Becht, etc ... while the fan base is waiting, and hoping against hope that we can't believe our eyes.

12. NFL

NFL Active Member

Blame the play calling, and the safeties for that. Not many corners in the NFL are left on an island in man coverage.

13. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

Anyone confident enough to trust in their eyes knew that Vernon Gholston was absolute garbage after just one year in the league. The same is true of Dee Milliner. It just is. I would love to wait and see, let him develop, HOPE that he turns into something, but the chances are exceedingly slim, to none. Not because players are incapable of improving, but when you display complete and utter ineptitude, never once flashing potential... then it's safe to call it like it is. The man cannot play football.

14. Jett Travolta

Jett Travolta Banned

oh whatever you say pal

15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Kareem Jackson another 1st round Bama CB looked like hot sauce on garbage his first year and even some in his second season, but he at some point turned it around to become a solid CB. Milliner has a lot more physical tools, so I think he will be OK eventually.

16. NFL

NFL Active Member

I'm tired of arguing about this, but do some of you guys take one play and base their entire game off of that? He's definitely shown flashes to me. He started off by getting burned constantly, then in the NO game he played well, now this week just because he missed a tackle your getting on his shit? On most of the plays he gets beat it looks like he's expecting a safety to help over the top. That's why I don't understand why we always have safeties up in the box of our DL is so good.

He's had his hands on a couple balls this year, I bet you that if he had a few interceptions you wouldn't be calling him a bust.

17. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

I invite you all to take a good look at how bad Patrick Peterson and Morris Claiborne looked their first year in the league. Peterson is now a stud, and Claiborne seems to be improving by leaps and bounds every week.

Instead of being completely reactionary little girls, how about some get a clue.

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Comparing Milliner to Peterson (haven't Claiborne play much) as a rookie or other wise, is just as extreme IMO as labeling him a bust. Peterson's talents are on another level. If he wanted to, he could be a top 10 RB, WR, safety and he can throw the ball pretty well too. Yes, he got beat as a rookie like all rookie and even veteran CBs do, but he made his share of plays. What Milliner is putting on tape his rookie season, is nothing like Peterson's troubles his rookie year. That said, I still think he will likely be a good player. I see him more as Carlos Rogers type. Rogers was never the best CB in the league but put together a solid career with a couple Pro-bowls. Both Rogers and Milliner couldn't catch a cold while standing naked and wet at the North Pole.

19. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

It's really Miller, he just pronounces it Milliner. The Jets just went with it.

20. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Exactly, considering he was not a pure man cover corner coming out of college and he gets thrown at 15 times a game he's been performing admirably for a rookie. Another thing people seem to overlook is Cromartie has been receiving the most safety help over the top these last few weeks and not Milliner.