The Rex Ryan Era is Over

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Quinnenthebeast, Dec 1, 2013.

1. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I am not laying this entire mess at the feet of Rex, but come on, do you boys that feel the need to fellate him on a regular basis think that he's not had a major part in the assembling of this roster? The chain of command absolutely would include his input in a major way on draft picks, especially high picks.

Can it be a coincidence that the Jets signed an aging, broke-down QB with virtually no shot at challenging the rookie for playing time TWICE through 2 different GM's and he had nothing to do with it?

Great DC, overmatched as a HC, just like his father...

2. allencjets

allencjets New Member

I disagree that Rex is over is head as coach. As has been pointed out by many posters before. Many head coaches have an arrangement with their ocs or dcs to take over primary responsiblities for offense or defense. Depending on wich side of the ball they come from. Rex Ryan is no different.

To fire Rex and hire an offensive minded head coach would be short-sighted. We don't need an offensive minded head coach to fix this offense. We have mornhinweg to do that. What we need is talent.

3. vxvenom

vxvenom Active Member

Dude, are you for real? Rex Ryan is a joke. He is highly overrated as some sort of defensive mastermind by people on this board. He is a good D-Coordinator and players love him. Those are his only good qualities. Unfortunately, these traits are not high on the list of qualities that we should have in a head coach. He cannot control his locker room, he makes terrible decisions that harm the team (drafting crappy WR that is a friend of Mark Sanchez over other, more talented players, naming Tone captain before he quit on the team, Sanchez-Tone fued, leaving Mark Sanchez/Geno Smith as QB, etc.) and he runs his mouth like he's the second coming of Vince Lombardi. We need to build with a fresh guy, with fresh ideas who isn't building a scheme like its the 80s. Like our current QB situation, there may not be a guy who is leagues better than Rex, but we do know that Rex is not the answer.

This is Rex's fault because he is the head coach. He is responsible for making sure the team performs. He picks his coordinators and therefore, is responsible for their success/failure. That's the way the NFL and any other organization works. If we are being exploited week in and week out, it's his job to get the appropriate person (be it D-Coordinator, O-Coordinator, assistant coach, etc.) to examine the personnel and come up with a plan that works -- or at the very least, demonstrate an improvement. This team has regressed as the season has gone on. There is no discipline. Players that have no business being on the field are left in there because Rex likes them. You point out the lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball--why do you think that is? If you think Tannenbaum drafted players, traded picks for over-the hill / garbage players, etc. in a bubble without any contact with Rex, you are mistaken. Rex is a bad HC who happens to be a cool guy. Great guy to have a beer with; not so great at being a HC.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It's not about being a sun-shiner. Those Kotite teams, they won how many games in 2 years? 4 games man right? How dare you compare Rex to that POS.

I agree the lack of accountability doesn't appear to be there, but what we do know behind closed doors? I wouldn't say jack shit to the media, there doesn't need to be a fall guy, we need to get better and that comes through the draft and FA. I'm giving Rex at least one more year with the draft and cap. Unless there's a coach out there that wows even Woody Johnson. Even so, I don't trust his evaluation of anyone.

Brian Schottenheimer being on the squad when Rex was here was NOT Rex's fault. I fault him for Sparano and that's about it. Marty and Rex can work. People need to temper their expectations here. We were not suppose to be a playoff team to begin with.

5. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Rex is a fucking joke. He still uses that Sanchez/Smith gives us the best chance to win shit. And he still answers that he will have to see the tape. But hey, his hat is always off to the insert the opponent we lose to.

6. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I cant wait till we fire Rex bring in a new coach and end up 2-14 next season just so I can see what excuses Jets fans will use then .I can see Rex going to somewhere like Tampa or Clevland and winning some playoff games .Rex is one man there are 53 players dozens of coaches a GM and a owner.Rex isnt part of the offense either was Parcells early in his carrer.Marty Mornywig has full control of offense so why is he not getting any blame for this

7. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Im sure Rex may win another playoff game.....

...as a defensive coordinator for another team.

8. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Fire Rex, for who? Seriously.

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Well, you know, for a guy who can bring a super OC with him, and a reincarnation of Westhoff, a great QB Coach; oh, yeah, a quarterback, an offensive line, a couple of running backs, a handful of receivers, a tight end, punter, two safeties, two corners, a couple of LB's and a partridge in a fucking pear tree!

10. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

So you're saying undo Rex's gastric bypass and have him get in a Santa Claus outfit, right?

11. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

7-9 and Rex will return. As well as he should. 6-10 or worse then he should get fired.

12. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

I like Rex just as much as the next guy, but you have to remove emotion from situations like these and look at the facts.

Rex Ryan is 39-37 has head coach of the Jets.

At some point you have to look at the record of the Jets and ask yourself the question, is this good enough?

2009: 9-7
    2010: 11-5
    2011: 8-8
    2012: 6-10
    2013: 5-7

As an organization, what are your goals? What are you striving for? If you want something more than mediocrity (or worse), then you need to strive for more by going in another direction. Do you want an emotional leader, who is sometimes fun, but also more frequently a mess? Or do you want a competent leader who knows how to run a team to best get results, and doesnt allow the players and media to run the team and dictate its success?

I like Rex, but I think he's proven, at least for me, that he's not good enough as a head coach. I'd want better.

13. Chappy13

Chappy13 Active Member

Agreed! So sick of hearing those lines over and over.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

if you guys had those results you'd be throwing parades in downtown Toronto.

This is his 2nd bad season but even during the bad seasons we have very much been in the playoff race in December. rex is a top 10 coach in this league and has done an outstanding job w/ the talent he has. If the GM could get some playmakers on O we'd be a playoff team.

15. Rex Must Go

Rex Must Go New Member

Spot on. Well done.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

As a Bills fan you'd kill for a coach that could do what Rex has done over the last 5 years. Just admit it, you'll feel better.

17. Rex Must Go

Rex Must Go New Member

The trend over the last 3 years is downhill.. if the team loses out, Woody will have his hand picked tool fire him.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If we lose out I think he probably goes, but not 100% sure.

The trend over the last 3 years really can be laid at the feet of the guy who was making the roster over most of that span. The Steelers are going to have a shake up in here at some point soon also. That's because their guys over-extended the window also and the talent pool, while better than the Jets, is weak moving forward.

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

what if we win 2 of these next 4 then we will have more wins than last year.

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I think he's not sure to stay unless they win 3 of the last 4. That's right. Maybe he stays if he wins two, but I think not. Why?

First of all, there is his mismanagement of hte Qb situation, and the fans are in near revolt over it. As they should be. He's gonna start Smith? Because he thinks Smith is going to play better? Really? Based on what? Didn't Rex think that the week before, and the week before that, and the week before that? And all the way back to when I began noticing people putting up their Halloween decorations?

Second, the D is playing awful. Isn't that supposed to be his strong point? They gave up like a zillion yards to a woeful Miami O. And btw Rex is 3-6 against those Miami scumbags. Nice work in the division there. But the main point is hte D is in a tailspin. Rex said himself the only one who played well was Harrison. What big roster move did he make lately, and how did that pan out? Loyalty to a done Reed seems to be the only "answer" Rex has in this season of downward progression.

And now that Westoff has gone, how has Rex managed the transition on special teams coaching? He gets an F there, too.

But the main reason is Idzik will fire him because Idzik cannot afford to look like he has no better answers as GM than to leave Rex in there. In Idzik's first year, what real evidence is there that he has improved the roster? None. So we can focus on that, or conclude that Rex should have done a bit more with the roster. Posters here can blather on about how Rex did better than expected, but the team was 5-4 and in the playoffs and as the season gets into the chase for a spot, the Rex Ryan led Jets crapped the bed.

He's already been spotted three losses since then, mismanaging hte Qb spot and now leading his vaunted D down the toilet. How many more losses do you spot him? He's got Oakland at home, Cleveland, which is going nowhere, and a return matchup against Miami. Why should hte Jets lose any of those games? Not too long ago people here were predicting a sweep along with earlier wins against Buffalo and Miami. Those were the days. Well, I did not agree with that projection, but neither am I prepared to spot Rex any more than the losses than one of those three, and I think Idzik will not keep him even with only one loss in those three.

Idzik is perfectly positioned to say he gave Rex a chance. He's not going to blame himself for his roster moves being at fault. This is all politics, and Rex has not made the most of what he could have done. He's gone unless he wisn three of the last four.