Matt Simms - Summation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

He won 6 with Sparano at OC, and worse talent.

With 6, we win Week 2' and Pitt. Easily.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

No, he won 5. Greg McElroy won the 6th with a simple single TD drive instead of the 3 turnovers Sanchez had on tap in a 6-0 game before that.

Because Sanchez beat Pitt last year without Holmes and has always beaten the Pats like a drum, right?

Here's the thing. The Sanchez apologists are like Serbs complaining about the battle of Kosovo in 1448. The battle may have gone one way or the other depending on factors that are vigorously disputed right up to the present day but the salient fact, the single thing that is absolutely indisputable is...

That it happened a long, long time ago, an eternity ago, and nobody gives a shit about what Mark Sanchez might or might not have done this year based on what he did in 2009 and 2010, the fact of which are vigorously disputed anyway.

Capeesh?

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Last year our D actually ranked higher in yards allowed and points giving up and we are likely to have more wins then last year with worse overall O talent and a rookie QB.

4. Br4d

I hope you are right on the wins thing.

Last Sunday was the first game I saw a Jets QB give up in. I saw that last year multiple times before December and it was like the story of December writ large on the season as a whole.

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If we go 5 and 11 with no wins after the bye then say goodbye to the coaching staff.

6. Br4d

I'm not disagreeing with that.

The question is whether or not Rex has any more rabbits in his hat. You know the occasional wins that come out of nowhere where a superior team winds up sitting on the ground rubbing it's jaw and wondering where the heck the blow came from.

I wouldn't put it past Rex to have one or two more of those and that would likely save his job.

7. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

The question should be, "How much were we NOT able to see?" He was inserted late into a 17-point deficit, chops licking, butt-whipping game with Miami romping and stomping and having a great deal of fun playing with House Money. We've all seen that scenario far too often this season. The game gets out of hand and NOTHING you can do goes right.

So, to answer your question anyway, I saw the chains moving. That's what I saw. Despite the above, mind you. Imagine that concept? Actually moving the chains.

I remember thinking, "If only this was the 2nd quarter." But no, we had to watch the clock dwindle down and then the shitty tackling and Cro-whiffing and Dee Milliner nonsense and they score again and keep it a 3-possession game and now Simms is behind the 8-ball but good.

I don't know about you or anyone else, but I came away from that game wanting to see more of this young man. What do we have to lose at this point?

We already know Geno. Putting Garrard oin there is meaningless. Our season is officially trashed at this point. Let's all admit that right now.

So the question should be, "WTF do we have to lose to play Simms some more, in real, honest-to-goodness NFL games, to see what he's got? What better forum are you going to have between now and September, 2014?

If Rex doesn't start Simms this week he's a damned fool.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I really love his attitude though, if he could ever succeed here he'd be a huge star. read his quotes from today.

9. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

and you obviously do not think that coaching should figure out how to combat opposing defenses that are geared up to stop Geno? Or I guess a better test for Simms would be Carolina. The Raiders have a weak defense though its playing better. How many points did SIMMS get us?

10. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I just dont get why they are sticking with Geno this week. He put in a lifeless, soul sapping performace. And in the press conferences he keeps saying the same things, he is still confident and the team still backs him. Thats B.S. you can see that in his eyes and on the sidelines he is all alone, noone engages him. He just sucks right now and needs to sit and learn. For his own sake and the sake of the team.

11. Br4d

Simms went into a 6-0 game. He had the same situation Greg McElroy had last year when he took over for Sanchez only he had more time left on the clock.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Which is why you draft Carr in the first round, then follow it up signing a FA WR, draft 2 more WRs and get a TE.

13. Br4d

Well if Carr is worth the pick maybe the Jets will do that. Lots of miles to cover between now and then.

14. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I think its a mistake to not see what Simms has this week. Let him play after a full week of snaps in practice. Anyways, I was at the game yesterday and it was absolutely horrible. I can't believe I paid for that.

15. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Rex gets 2.875Mil per year to put that product on the field.

16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Excellent points, I couldn't agree more.

Garrard would be some last ditch hail mary to gain a playoff birth but that's out the window.
    What needs to be done from this point forward is use the remainder of the season to see who's worthy of being on this roster next season.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Of the available options, while I tend to say Simms should get that full week of practice with the starters, in the meantime I would activate Garrard. Why? Becuase if Simms were to suck after geting that whole week, they need to look at putting in Garrard, not so much for him and next year, because I agree he is not even a medium term answer.

But there is another factor, and perhaps neither Smith nor Simms figure in it. Actually they probably don't unless Simms played well. Even if Simms sucks and the Jets lose to Oakland, there will be three games remaining on the schedule. that is the time to see who steps up and who does not, and perhaps Garrard could come in and play well enough to allow for a decent assessment of the other players.

So I would deactivate Smith, have Simms practive with the first team all week and see how he does, and activate Garrard to get him ready for the following week if Simms sucks.

Of course Ryan will do just the opposite, which is a big reason why I think he should be fired.

18. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

This is just silly. Look, Sanchez is likely done here, but to say Geno's "best" is better than anything you've seen out of Sanchez is just the ul;timate in subjective hyperbole.

He had one really really good game. Sanchez had a few, some probably better. That's not saying much.

Sounds like this is one of those "eye" test things that is incredibly subjective--you know like those guys arguing that one pass Geno threw early on was better than any pass Sanchez has ever thrown in his entire career. It's just silly.

Having said that, their worsts have been pretty comparable, except Mark has had many more of them :grin:

_

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Did anyone see the news article about the condo complex that is requiring its dog owners to submit DNA for their pets? They will then compare the samples to droppings that are not cleaned up and fine the owners.

Sanchez, Smith, Simms have given us three piles of poo. Does it really matter which is which?

20. Br4d

Man, that's rough on the dogs. I think they should require everybody to give samples, just in case. They should really focus on the 2 year olds because you have to know whose log that is floating by in the pool.