The Rex Ryan Era is Over

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Quinnenthebeast, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Remember how lucky we were into winning 2 of those 5 games.

2. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Is this a joke? He hired MM who's one of the brighest offensive minds in football. He did the right thing this year and did delegate responsibilities to someone who's competent.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Any chance we demote Rex and keep him as DC?

4. NYJ_Jax28

NYJ_Jax28 Member

Absolutely not. No way this happens. Makes me laugh every time someone proposes this, like we can have our cake and eat it too. Rex would never go for that, and I don't blame him. How awkward would that be? Has anything like that ever happened in the history of sports? Not including interim coaches.

5. Mr. Green Pants

Fuck that. "Lucky" is bullshit. In each of those games, we put ourselves in a position where one dumb play was the difference in the game. Nothing lucky about that.

6. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

The team doesn't look like they've quit on him. That is the only circumstance I'd fire Rex under.

7. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

I wanted Rex gone after last year. I never crowned him coach of the year this year. The most I felt was guarded optimism when we were 5-4. I expect them to lose all the way to the end.

8. TonyIommi

TonyIommi Active Member

How funny would it be if the Patriots snapped him up to shore up their crappy D?

9. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Also remember we lost to NE by 3 due to 3 4th quarter picks.

10. NYJ_Jax28

NYJ_Jax28 Member

The penalties are a reasonable concern. But I don't think a "lack of leadership on offense" is our problem. It's more about having historically-inept QB's with awfulness surrounding them. It's talent. And your big criticism is a 7th round compensation pick from 3 years ago? Really?

11. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

For those clamoring that the offense is not his fault.
    How about the fact that in an important game at home, the Dolphins marched up and down the field on his vaunted defense. Game should have been closer to 40-3.

12. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

When said pick is one of the only ways he gets involved in the offense, then yes. Really.

13. NYJ_Jax28

NYJ_Jax28 Member

I hear you. The secondary is God-awful. But they came up big in a couple spots. You can play the "what if" game all day long. Bottom line is the offense had like 130 yards basically.

14. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

So is the HC to be held responsible ever? Most teams that perform poorly can say they have poor players, right?

Think back to 1999. The Jets lost VT and scramble to find another QB. They almost made the playoffs with Ray Lucas! OTOH, look at the reg season record RR has put up. Even when the Jets were stacked we were hardly dominant. If RR hadn't pulled out two nice post-seasons he'd have been gone long ago. Don't you see that. If you factor in the glen the has had to work with he hasn't had a single exceptional season--only his post seasons stand out. Look at how the jets have performed the past two years: they perform against good teams and get smacked by poor teams. What is the constant? Rex Ryan and the coaching staff are clearly doing more work for big games. That is a shitty work ethic and shows a major arrogance as well as an inability to prepare for all games. This has NOTHING to do with draft picks, talent, etc.

So many people want to excuse RR, but he has major flaws as a HC.
    1. an exceptional head coach gets the most from his players. He can only do that for half
    the team.
    2. He often doesn't use the best player, he uses his favorites. He SAYS he is using the best player, of course, but that is bull. Has the Jets Def been better or worse since
    Reed arrived.
    3. He can't get his team up except for big games. This is a clear mark of a mediocrity.
    4. His ability to develop players is suspect, even on defense. Most of the successful players under RR are immensely talented. What about the players on the cusp? Why do so few make any contribution whereas other teams are able to find and cultivate more talent. Blame this on the FO all you want, but while you may argue that RR doesn't have much to work with I would argue that RR has shown remarkably little ability to turn a diamond in the rough into something better.

Ryan's talent is in designing defenses. When he does that he is amazing. When he doesn't he is not. That doesn't make him a bad person, just human.

15. NYJ_Jax28

NYJ_Jax28 Member

His hire of Mornighweg has been lauded by everyone as a great move. And it is. Now let's draft and sign some players he can put to good use. And that's what you do in the 7th round of the draft, take fliers on guys. So. What.

16. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Ok, fair enough, but it doesn't bother you that we have had to rely on the other teams' stupidity to win games? Moreover, our wins have been by thin margins, our losses not so much.

17. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

We knew this team sucked before the season began.

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Since the bye the Jets have not looked like a team that's coming together. The look like a team that's falling apart. We came out of a bye with the wind at our backs, faced 3 teams that are at best mediocre and have been completely outclassed.

3 years in a row the Jets have wilted as the season wore on. I'm not sure that's not a sign of either the team giving up or the coaching staff isn't up to the challenge of preparation and adjustments that needed?

If this team doesn't get to 7 wins I think Rex is in big trouble.

19. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Very well said. The Jets have had December collapses 2 years running. Rex is horrible coming off byes.

The team has already started to collapse this year, ironically, off the bye. If Rex can't win this December, it will be his death knell as coach.

20. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

When is that bitch going to do his press conference?