Can we compare Geno's rookie season with anyone else's?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Fred Mertz, Nov 26, 2013.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Then I can not WAIT for the playoffs.

_

2. feldspar

feldspar Member

Geno wouldn't like that comparison either. Anyone that even tries to Compare Geno's rookie season to Manning's rookie season has palsy of the brain. They are nothing like one another.

For starters, Peyton Manning was drafted first overall because he was going to a very bad team. That carried over into his rookie year. The Colts had a terrible defense in Indianapolis in 1998. Talking stats, there was only ONE worse defense in terms of both points-allowed and yardage given up. I think it's fair to say that Geno's defense is world's apart from that.

Secondly, the Colts had the #6 ranked passing game in the NFL in Peyton's rookie year. That's all Peyton. The Jets have the #31 passing offense so far this year. The thread calls for statistics, and there is one.

I think that people may just be looking at Peyton's INTs his rookie year. He threw 28 of them, so that's supposed to somehow make Geno look better. That's what they call a brain fart. Geno is on track to throw 26 INTs, and LOSE 8 fumbles. In other words, he's on track to turn the ball over 34 times this year. Most of Geno's turnovers are the most egregious decisions or downright terrible throws that are on him, just throwing it to the other team or not protecting the ball.

But of course Peyton also threw 26 touchdowns. Geno is on track to throw 11 or 12.

Manning showed a million times more promise, for those of you who didn't watch him play back then. I don't care if Geno has had his sputtering moments this year, but forget about comparing stats. I'd compare him to somebody like Jimmy Clausen at this moment. Why? Because they both were bad.

All that said, I think the Jets beat the Dolphins this week. Geno holds onto the ball well enough and makes some plays, and the Jets come out on top. But you gotta watch out for the illusions something like that may cause because they may just prolong Geno's tenure at QB. Gotta bring in some serious competition AT LEAST next year. The Jets are the dumbest mo-fo's alive if they don't at least do that in the offseason.

#42 feldspar, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  3. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Amazingly I found one rookie Geno is not worse than:

Ryan Leaf (1998) - 9 games, 45.3 completion percentage, 2 TD/15 INT

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If we can't find another rookie to compare Geno to, maybe we can compare Geno's rookie season to RGIII's sophomore season.

5. tdoublee

tdoublee Active Member

Vinny Testaverde's 2nd year seems like where Geno is headed: 13 TDs, 35 INTs and 47% completion rate. 5-10 as a starter. Vinny played on some pretty bad Tampa teams back in the day.

6. 74

74 Well-Known Member

haha, debating about shit from the 70's. *gets popcorn.
    man.. I forgot about that already. what a douche.

This is what I'm afraid of. He's not the answer, but if continuing to endure this awful level of play and the losses that accompany is what it takes for the FO to realize that then so be it.

#46 74, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  7. roy_miami

roy_miami New Member

Its rare that a QB has a passer rating in the 60s that isn't a bust. Since 2000 Stafford did it in his rookie season (the jury is still out on if he'll become a great QB) and Brees did it in his second season. Everybody else with a passer rating in the 60s has been garbage.

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Sanchez did it in 09. The Jury came in with a guilty verdict but apparently there are a few lawyers posting here who think the evidence is tainted.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

People you forgot in your analysis:

Eli Manning (55.4)
    Alex Smith (40.8)

Is the poor performance by Geno a bad indicator?

Sure.

Does it guarantee that he is garbage with no future?

Not even close.

10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Mark Sanchez.

11. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Ethel Mertz?