The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If you saw the gif, you'd see that Brian Winters is completely whiffing air. Protection call was not a correct one. Ferguson was chasing the hard-rushing DT that came crashing in to the inside route. If Brian Winters didn't completely whiff, double teaming NT with C, he would have taken the DT all right. The DE that was on TE ended up making the sack. ILB was just a decoy - he bluffed, then stayed away. The offense was out-numbered because of the blown protection call.

So tell me, who calls the protection call? I know Mangold is responsible for it, and how about that Geno guy?

---------------------------------------------------------

And the article clearly states Geno's time in the pocket is LONGEST in the NFL. Also it shows what kind of god-awful garbage Geno has as what he calls his footwork. By average, Geno has about 2.8 seconds in the pocket - which is not too bad in itself. He fires off his pass in 2.5 seconds just about 37% of the time - for 28th in the league. Why can't they use quick passes? Because the QB sucks at them.

2. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Quick passes are all about timing, quick decision making, and footwork, if your even half a second late on the throw it could be a pick six. I'm not exactly sure how much faith the CS has in Geno to make these type of throws.

3. Mr. Green Pants

Try to keep up, genius. That's what was being compared, Sanchez's rookie year and Geno's. Thanks for conceding I was right on points one and two.

As for point three, Sanchez had Cotchery, Keller, and Braylon for twelve games. He also had decent, pass catching backs in Washington and Woodhead. Receiving corp wasn't stellar, but it was clearly better than this group of cast-offs and dinged up vets Geno is playing with.

4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Lol "decent"? I do not think that word means what you think it does.

Danny Woodhead had EIGHT receptions in 2009. No TDs. And only played in 10 games.

And Leon only played in 7 games in 2009. Had 15 receptions. No TDs.

_

5. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The thing to remember about the Jets QB situation and Geno Smith is that QB in the NFL is a merit position.

To this point Geno has done very little to merit having the job handed to him in camp next year. It's on him to make the strides necessary to get to that position.

If he shows improvement over the last 5 games, primarily mental improvement in terms of how he handles unrelenting pressure and the reality that defenders are reading his eyes well, then he may have the upper hand in camp next summer.

If he continues to struggle with his decision-making in what is a very unfavorable environment he is likely to see real competition next year. The Jets will likely bring in a veteran FA or draft another QB if they have too to create a real competition and Geno won't have the benefit of the doubt going for him this time around.

I'm not suggesting that Geno needs to become a good QB to have a real chance next season. I'm just suggesting that if he continues to be a bad QB it is going to knock him down the pecking order some and the new guy the Jets bring in is likely to start at least equal with him at that point.

7. Mr. Green Pants

LOL! I was wrong, but my point about Sanchez having a superior receiving corp still stands. You totally got me!

8. JStokes

As a rookie in 2009, I will concede they were better although I think the word "superior" might be a bit much :smile:

_

9. JStokes

Given the shit storm down in DC, I think you might have a better shot at trading for RGIII :smile:

_

10. JStokes

Btw, every time I see your Heisneberg avatar, I laugh thinking about that idiot who mocked you for having a blind guy as your avatar :rofl:

_

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

Lol it was sarcasm man. Whenever there's talk about a new QB there's always someone who mentions trading for Kirk Cousins like he would be our savior.

:rofl: I forgot that... What a sheltered person that must've been haha

12. RexLuvzSnax

RexLuvzSnax Member

I think that the fact we had such a surprising start really was a curse for Geno. I feel like MM was calling a different game in the 1st half of the season. Gone are the games where we let Geno go out and sling it. Sure he still had the turnovers and but we were playing like a team with house money. Since the word "playoffs" has started being thrown around, we shifted to a way more conservative offense. Weather it was rex who's idea it was or not, it hasn't worked for us.

I'd much rather see an aggressive offense that is overmatched and untalented go out and lose, than us go out there and pretend that we can still get W's by running the wildcat and running it 30+ times into 8 man fronts.

That being said the real question becomes can Geno put his recievers in a position to actually make plays? Or are they both really that bad? Does the line not give him enough protection to succeed? By playing so conservatively you are barely even giving the coaches a chance to properly analyze his performance and make a call to either bench him or look elsewhere in the offseason.

#6332 RexLuvzSnax, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  13. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

They had to change the plays since Smith couldn't handle even half the load he was given. People see 5 wins and forget how bad he really was. In his last win he only completed 42% and through ZERO TDs. Any average QB given our O-line and run support would be having a good season and we would be safety in the playoff hunt.

I think if Simms would have been the starter from Game one we would have at least two more wins. I just hope someone has the balls to let the kid play. I'm not just talking in the 4th quarter when Geno has already let the game get by us, but a week of 1st team reps and prepared like Geno should have been with Buffalo after two weeks to be ready and wasn't.

14. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Yeah you keep hearing people say take off the handcuffs and let the kid throw. Don't you think if he was capable of handling even a fraction of the playbook he would be? You don't need elite receivers to run a slant, out, back shoulder, curl routes -- that is all timing and Holmes, nelson, kerley, cumberland, winslow can all run routes. Geno just can't make the throws - doesn't get it yet. The handcuffs were put on by Geno and he has done nothing to show they should be taken off.

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Holmes has been hurt. Kerley has been hurt. Winslow was suspended for 4 games and apparently can't stay on the field without illegal drugs. Cumberland is a nice back up TE with questionable hands and Nelson is a practice squad player.

Geno was in a QB competition in TC was hurt most of pre-season and has had a revolving door of bad talent around him with the exception of Holmes and Kerley both of whom have been limited. How are you going to run timing patterns with new guys every week many of whom are practice squad players.

Top to bottom this is a bad O and other teams actually get to look at tape of this bad O. Geno needs to sit because the guy is over his head but the reality of this O is we should completely abandon the passing game and run something like Miami did in 08 when all their talent was at the running back position.

The Jets might well be better off going heavy on the OL, dumping their crappy WR and putting Cribs, Ivory and Powell on the field at the same time without a QB. Hell when Kerley comes back I might want him to run the option. He was the best QB on the roster last year.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Kerley has had a concussion and a sprained knee already this season. I don't think they're going to put him on the field to do anything more than play in the slot until next season. They probably don't even want him getting jammed at this point.

17. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Jesus I had a dream about Geno, in the upcoming dolphins game, we were losing by 3, jets were at the 35 yard line 20 seconds left, Holmes broke one for a home run, Geno underthrew an it was picked off, wtf, Fuckin Jets haunt me in my dreams!

18. JustaJetFan

JustaJetFan Member

Does the rushing TD Geno got against the Saints not count?

19. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

No -- throw a TD you are a QB!

He had 7 completions in that game that traveled 7 yards in the air total.

He is not a running QB...not even a mobile QB watching him the last few weeks.

20. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member