Geno is what I thought he was

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Nov 24, 2013.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

you can limit his throws without putting him in tough situations or letting him sling it 30 times. they kept a pretty solid pattern of run run pass yesterday and baltimore knew what was coming all day.a few short passes on1st down could have made the defense guess a little bit which would have helped geno and the run game.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

this isn't 15 years ago when a rookie Peyton Manning had to learn the NFL while his receivers were mugged going out on routes.

the rules are set up today for all QB's to succeed. to be as absolutely awful as Geno within the framework of today's NFL I think clearly reflects a lack of ability. it isn't an issue of learning. the bare minimum for a QB today, with the rules as they are, is to at least be competent.

Geno is incompetent.

3. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Bingo

and to top it off, he's the last one to get to the huddle, dragging his feet, head down. and the first one to leave it, standing by himself until tv timeout is over. this is the worst thing that I was able to see from being at the game. his attitude was fucking disgraceful yesterday. he's a loser.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You are not wrong. You are right. Geno is not an NFL QB. He was not good at WVU in any way that made you feel he could succeed in the NFL. My problem is, I can't be mad at Geno for that. He does not belong on the field right now. That is on the coaching staff, front office and scouts. They drafted him, they pushed him, and they put themselves in a situation that forced him to play immediately. Hopefully Rex is fired for it, but the bottom line is anyone upset with Geno does not understand sports.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I like Rex's persona as the Jet HC more than i don't, and he does a generally good job with the D. Certainly if the Jets had made the playoffs this year I would have been all for bringing him back.

But they are not going to make the playoffs this year, and he once again is showing himself incapable of making the HC calls for what to do with the Qb.

I have no doubt that if he's fired he will end up probably as some other team's DC, and probably will succeed at that. And I am sure Smith was Idzik's idea, and not Rex's. But what good is having Rex as the HC if he for whatever reason cannot manage the Qb situation?

It may not be anywhere near mostly his fault, but if I had to vote today, I would say he should be let go this off season.

6. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

Improving from 'holy hells terrible' is, indeed, improvement.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I agree, so what does this say about Idzik's scouting?

8. Pavelboca

Pavelboca Active Member

This, I believe, is total bullshit. Geno wasn't a can't-miss propsect in the vein of those from the prior draft class. But what you ACTUALLY see when you watch the college tape is a guy that has shown he can make any throw an NFL QB needs to make. He was I suppose one could call a "raw" prospect- his footwork needed improvement, his decision making was questionable, but his intangibles were there.

If he wasn't a guy who people thought had a chance of success at the NFL, he wouldn't have been in the draft. By no means am I saying Geno is a competent NFL QB. I'm just saying that Scouts and coaches clearly believed he had the potential to be.

9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

If U cannot see that the mental part of the game has totally overwhelmed him then U R surely NOT a FB mavin IMHO :sad:

10. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

I like Rex I do, and I think he's a good coach. But if he comes out today and says "Geno gives us the best chance to win against Miami" I will seriously question his judgment and consider that he may not be a good candidate for head coach for next season.

There is no way anyone can seriously believe that Geno, with the way he's playing gives them any chance to win right now. If they honestly believe that Simms can't produce better than a 35% completion %, 1:10 td:int ratio and the lowest rating in the NFL then why would Simms even be on the team right now?

IF Rex comes out names Geno the starter it should mean Rex's job because he is completely clueless. There is no way you can keep trotting Geno out there. I really believe Rex will name Simms the starter vs. Miami though and I'll feel this is the perfect time to do it. Geno shouldn't see the field again this year.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I am talking for the 2013 season.

12. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

I hated the Geno pick from the get go.

The main issue is that he has NO football presence. When flushed out of the pocket, he scrambles out of bounds behind the LOS instead of throwing the ball away. Passing to a wide open receiver, after he's 2 yards past the LOS.

The kid is lost.

13. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Sheldon Richardson is turning into a nice find...jus sayin

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The best finds are later in the draft, those come from hard work and proper scouting. That's when the scouting draft proves their worth.

15. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Don't you feel like Richardson was a Rex pick all the way? Maybe I'm wrong but to me Richardson screams Rex.

16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Idzik drafting Richardson is so clutch...He caught everyone off guard. I give him a pass on Dee Milliner, it may have been a Rex pick or may not but Dee was highly graded

17. feldspar

feldspar Member

Of course you can grade him already, and he gets a failing grade...or close enough to that. Usually players have to earn playing time. He's in there by default and should really be replaced right now ask me. No way in hell the Jets should go into next year with Geno as the starter if they can help it and he keeps up anything resembling how he's played in general this year.

He hasn't been showing ANY promise that gives you hope for the future with him, and that's the main thing to consider. The guy is a walking disaster and will be a huge part of the reason the Jets won't make the playoffs this year, as I predicted weeks ago.

We are talking about a second round pick here, just like Jimmy Clausen, who started 10 games his rookie year and hasn't played since. I don't even think he's on any team at now. Why? Because he played poorly and didn't show promise.

It's easier to cut these guys loose sooner now that the rookie wage scale is in place now and you don't have as much invested in them. Hell, even the Raiders cut their #1 overall pick BEFORE the wage scale was established, and he only started 25 games. Of course, that's JaMarcus Russell.

You should never feel like you're stuck with a guy just because you drafted him. There is a point where saying "the kid needs time" doesn't make sense anymore when so much more is at stake.

How he's played is mainly his fault.

18. Big Blocker

Nothing good, I am afraid to say.

ftr I agree with those who think Rex was probably the main force behind the Richardson pick. Which ironically I was concerned about at the time! But it has panned out.

#138 Big Blocker, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  19. Big Blocker

The bolded part is a question I wish someone would ask Rex. What does it say about the team that their backup Qb is worse than the worst qb in the league?

Nothing very good.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Well that ain't good.

I did notice (on TV) a certain lack of urgency on his part.

He was probably pissed that the "wildcat" was actually more exciting to watch than what he was bringing to the game.

This fucking team better figure out how to screw together an effective offense.