Would you sacrifice Rex for proven offensive mind?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ArmandJ, Nov 25, 2013.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'm not saying, he has to go out there and learn the entire WCO playbook. What he needs to do is inspire the offense just like he does with the defense. Why was he sitting on the sidelines talking to the defense, when he should be out there talking to the offense? The defense was doing just fine.

He's completely neglecting it. Talk to them, spark a fire do something you know?

2. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

He has talent on the defense and none on the offense, there's nothing to inspire. Until they have a QB who isn't bar none the worst QB I've seen play in the last decade it's a moot point to complain about offensive coaching.

3. 101GangGreen101

A coach treats everyone on the team the same, obviously he knows more about the defense, but to completely sit there and watch the offense sputter and play like shit is no excuse.

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Sorry pal, I just can't stand that argument against RR when no one truly knows how other staffs function. I will continue to bring it up every time I see it.

His being a defensive and special teams assistant doesn't tell me much about his offensive prowess. I do however think every coach in this league knows every phase pretty extensively. It is their job to know. Whether the players can execute their strategy is another story.

Mangini is on SFs staff right now as an offensive assistant after spending his whole career on D.

5. vxvenom

vxvenom Active Member

A) Of course the defensive front 4 is good, we have spent like 15,000 top draft picks under Rex on dline/LB. Actually, we've also spent it on CB too, and yet our secondary still sucks. Rex is overrated on this board about his defensive brilliance. Is he a good defensive coordinator? Sure, but there are a ton of other good defensive coordinators out there. I don't know why people act like Rex is a once in a lifetime guy who is the only person capable of developing defensive talent. I'm pretty sure Wilkerson would still be a beast if we had an offensive minded coach.

B) Rex is a circus. Aside from the media nonsense, the guy cannot control his locker room. In the past 2 seasons, we've had serious locker room issues come out towards the end of the season that results in Rex crying to the team to try to right the ship. My guess is, this will be year 3: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/31836/rex-risks-losing-team-with-geno-decision

C) Rex cannot make the tough decisions. He is loyal to "his guys" to a fault. It was the case with not only Sanchez and now Geno, but guys like Bart Scott too. I'm sure Ed Reed will never be benched under Rex Ryan either.

I liked Rex in his first 2 years when he could back his mouth up with results on the field. Now the guy is just a mediocre joke. I think like Sanchez, Rex's time here is tarnished with so much crap that it would be impossible to succeed.

6. 101GangGreen101

That's bullshit, there was no sense of urgency on offense, go out there and at least give some fucking effort.

They are NFL players there is always something to be done.

But instead Rex sits there and talks to his defense, completely ignores the offense.

7. shelbyblue

shelbyblue Member

Only if Gruden comes back to coaching. I like what we have going as far as coaches, bvut we need top flight talent at the skill positions and find our franchise QB once and for all.

8. dr.velociraptor

Do you realize in the last 3 games Geno has 25 completions? He hasn't completed double digit passes in four games. Of those 25 completions he was picked off five times and fumbled another six. In fact he has more turnovers than completions over 10 yards. Worst completion %, worst rating, most INTs, top 5 in sacks taken. He is a complete mess.

What exactly do you expect Rex to do? Geno is a train wreck, he is abysmal, he is the worst starting QB to start this many games possibly ever. He makes Blaine Gabbert look like Joe Montana. I don't know how to say it, but there is no coach in the world who can do anything when that shitbag is under center. And that pains me to say it because I thought Geno was going to surprise and I liked the pick, but he's just awful and no offense can be successful with him as their QB.

9. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I wasnt piling on. I don't want Rex to go at all. I think he's a great coach.

10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

It was moreso a question in general, not at you. "What do other HCs do for their 3 phases and how do you know?" It seems like Rex doesn't know anything about offense because he has always had shit offenses. How much of that has to do with his roster we don't know, but I think having Morningwood here and his track record being proven, it's clear that talent has something to do with it. We have a pass-happy OC afraid to pass because the talent is just putrid. Just putrid.

Couldn't believe two weeks ago some here tried to tell me David Nelson is a long term player.

#50 Jake, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  11. 101GangGreen101

You bench the fucker and start Simms. Sounds like an easy decision to me. How much more of Geno does Rex have to take before he makes a change?

What's Rex suppose to do? I just gave you an answer. I knew Geno was going to be garbage.

12. 101GangGreen101

I don't want Rex to go also, but unfortunately it's the harsh reality of this business.

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I want Rex to stay, but am I the only one who thinks he should be fired for throwing Sanchez in against the Giants scrubs? That was ridiculous and falls on the Head Coach. Not firing him for that, makes it seem like throwing your veteran QB, who won the QB battle, into the 4th Q of a worthless game, against scrubs, is okay and should not be questioned. Ridiculous.

14. dr.velociraptor

I don't disagree with you there, however I don't think throwing Simms out there with zero preparation is fair to him. Rex should name Simms the starter vs Miami and give him all the first team reps in practice, prepare him and bench Geno. Tossing Simms out there to get devoured by the Ravens pass rush with zero preparation would've been bad for everyone.

IF Rex starts Geno again then I will start to seriously question his judgment.

15. 101GangGreen101

He should name Simms the starter against Miami, I was definitely against him coming in against the Ravens with 0 preparation I agree.

I just know Rex will go and start Geno against the Dolphins.

16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

because being a great offensive coordinator will mean they will be a great head coach. maybe we should just hire Norv Turner or Mike Martz.

17. LWC611

LWC611 Member

I thought Mornigwigh was the proven offensive mind..... No need to get rid of Rex, however do need to get some receivers.....and a LG...

18. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I really hope this was the thinking. Simms was making practice throws right after half time and had his helmet on the whole game, I thought for sure he was going in.

19. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Everyday and twice on Sunday. He is a motivator , but his shit wears thin when he can't back it up. You can't win with justa Defense in this league.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I don't know about fired...at the time it seemed fortuitous.

Now I'm half hoping Geno catches a really bad flu this week.