Which Potential 2014 NFL Draft QBs Are Top 10 Picks Right Now?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Snatch Catch, May 2, 2013.

?

Which QBs Will Be Top-10 Picks in 2014?

Poll closed Jun 1, 2013.
  1. Tajh Boyd, Clemson

39.5%
  2. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville

97.4%
  3. Derek Carr, Fresno State

10.5%
  4. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M

63.2%
  5. Marcus Mariota, Oregon

5.3%
  6. AJ McCarron, Alabama

18.4%
  7. Braxton Miller, Ohio State

2.6%
  8. Stephen Morris, Miami

2.6%
  9. Aaron Murray, Georgia

18.4%
  10. Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech

7.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

LOLGFY. :grin:

_

2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I haven't been watching too much college football but I remember a lot of people on here being extremely high on Boyd. Is he looking at all like a franchise QB or no?

3. JStokes

I like Boyd a lot. Lightening quick release, extremely accurate and a very tough runner. A bigger Russell Wilson.

_

4. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Anybody think we should use one of our thirds on a QB as a backup plan?

5. RexJets80

RexJets80 New Member

After today maybe we should use a first rounder on a QB. I know Geno is a rookie but he has way too many turnovers.... Shades of Sanchez all over again..

6. JStokes

Depends who's there. Depends on what Geno shows the rest of the year. Could be looking earlier if he really falters or can't play in the weather. There are anywhere from 4 to 7 really good QBs that could be available next year.

Or he could right himself, you just don't know.

_

7. RexJets80

RexJets80 New Member

Im from South Carolina and watch every Clemson and South Carolina game... Boyd doesnt handle the pass rush well at all.

8. JStokes

That's the dilemma, some really good ones available next year. Do you risk not taking one and gamble Geno is the man?

Idzick will have his work cut out for him.

_

9. JStokes

I try to watch him as much as I can but I'll admit I can't weigh in on that. He looked great against my Orangemen :grin:

_

10. RexJets80

RexJets80 New Member

He has potential, But FSU was in his face all night and he layed an egg, Same as last 3 games against South Carolina. He has also had outstanding recievers and backs at clemson. He couldnt carry a bad NFL team early in his career.

11. JStokes

How is Geno looking against the rush ?

I dont think it's fair to judge him against FSU, they are a powerhouse. Also killed my Orangemen :smile:

_

12. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

My take on the QB's coming out this year (watch a decent amount of CFB)

1) Anybody sleeping on Aaron Murray is a fool. Outside of Bridgewater (who without a doubt the #1 QB this year) is probably the most NFL ready QB this year. Has an absolute cannon, polished, and is by all accounts a very high character guy. His play reminds me a lot of Jay Cutler. If he falls out of the 1st round, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

2) AJ McCarron is a much better quarterback than most people give him credit for. While it would be hard not to succeed at QB in Alabama, he's a smart player, he has an adequate NFL arm (though nothing special), and had great touch and timing. Could absolutely become an NFL starter-quality player. Would grab him if he fell out of the 2nd round.

3) I do think Manzel will be a star on an NFL team. He's done too much to the best CFB has to offer defensively running AND passing. He will have to learn to be smarter with the ball and he won't be able to take hits like he does at A&M, but he's certainly way more than a running/system quarterback than his detractors suggest. His ability to read the field hit the open man is uncanny. Don't think he falls to us though.

4) Steven Morris looks like an NFL starter (HUGE arm), except when he doesn't (which is unfortunately often). But with the right development who knows, and has enough potential in theory to be worthy of a 5th or 6th round pick.

My under the radar/not on this list of QB to consider is:
    Taylor Kelly (Arizona State)

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The way I'm looking at the prospects right now is:

Solid Picks

1. Teddy Bridgewater (Top 10)
    2. Derek Carr (1st)
    3. Tajh Boyd (1st/2nd)
    4. Aaron Murray (2nd/4th)
    5. A.J. McCarron (2nd/4th)
    6. Zach Mettenberger (1st/6th)

Black Holes of Fun-ness

1. Johnny Manziel (1st/2nd)
    2. Marcus Mariotta (1st/2nd)
    3. Brett Hundley (1st/4th)

Jameis Winston is a freshman and ineligible to declare for the draft or he'd join the group of 1st/xth guys in the black hole of fun-ness category.

I don't expect Mariotta and Hundley to declare for the draft because of the risk that they'd fall further than they expected too and the likelihood they'll be top candidates in the 2015 draft.

Manziel is a force of nature and I expect him to leave Texas A&M and wind up either picked randomly by a team up high, like the Texans, or to fall to Tebow territory.

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think Derek Carr will be available when we pick in the first round. The question is, do we pull the trigger?

15. JStokes

+1.

Have loved AJ for 2 years now, I think he's going to be a solid solid pro for a decade. His arm is better than he's given credit for, very smart, temendously accurate, reads defenses with the best of them, perfect mechanics, a fiery leader. I think he's plug and play from day 1. He reminds me of Matt Ryan.

Manziel is going to be boom or bust, but the boom factor is just way too high not to take that gamble. He's become such a better thrower this year and his completion percentage from inside the pocket has skyrocketed--one of his biggest issues was making TOO many plays outside the pocket. He is staying home a lot. Btw, I don't think he'll bust, not at all. He would own NY.

_

16. JStokes

JMHO. Nobody knows anything at this point.

_

17. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I would strongly consider Murray or McCarron with one of our thirds.

18. RexJets80

RexJets80 New Member

I honestly think unless a QB that idzick is absolutely sold on falls in his lap he will continue to build around Geno and bring in a vet for some depth and competition. Who knows what he may be able to do with a little better line and some more experience in year 2.

19. Mean Green Machine

Mean Green Machine Active Member

The only knock on Boyd really is his size, but other than that he has all the tools.

20. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Boyd is no where close the other QBs talent wise he has high caracther and amazing work ethic thats what might get him drafted higher then his value.
    Not saying he is a scrub tho but others are just better Tbh i think we are better served with AJ, Zach,or Murray if we can sneak one of those in lower rounds. Hudley and Sephen Morris is more of Geno skillset so i wouldt go that rout cuz if so better develop Geno.