Ed Reed is a JET

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by thatisjetsfootball, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Ask not if Ed Reed is better than Antonio Allen. Ask if Ed Reed will bring more to the defense than the human pile of garbage he replaced on the roster.

And the TGG mod that kicked all the earlier Ed Reed threads to they curb for being 'irrelevant to the Jets' should receive a participation trophy

[​IMG]

2. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Objectively speaking
    You'd think he can only help

Help with the kids
    Help with turnovers
    Help with leadership

I think the biggest upside is beyond the stats. But then I wonder, is this stuff all over rated? will the kids really learn and will he teach?

I think and hope yes

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

So you're saying the mods suck?

_

4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Of course he will. If you watch the interview with him after practice, they asked him what his role will be, and one of the things he says is that his main job will be to teach and mentor the young guys. This will be huge for them

5. Footballgod214

In 1993 when we hired Ronnie Lott many Jet fans (my young self included) looked to Lott as a hard hitting savior of the Jets, the most feared safety ever. But alas, his hard hitting years in the NFL had taken it's toll, and he could never take over and dominate a defense like he'd done in years past.

Perhaps that's the same mistake the Texans made when they aquired the best Safety ever from the Ravens. They looked to Reed to take over their defense and dominate the secondary, like he had done for so many years playing for their rivals.

But Rex Ryan is not the Texans. Rex knows Ed Reed inside and out. Rex has high expectations for Reed but in a very limited role. Rex does not expect Reed to come into a new team and take over and dominated a defense like the Jets hoped would happen in 1993 with Ronnie Lott or the Texans hoped with Reed just a few months ago.

Unlike the Texans, Rex isn't paying Reed $5M/yr to dominate. He's paying Reed $400K for the last 7 games to patrol the deep middle on long passing downs or at the end of game when the Jets are in their 'prevent defense'.

And to wave 'hi' to Rex's former team when he comes out of the tunnel.

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Yes, but we made up for that with Steve Atwater.

_

7. Vanbiesbrouck

Vanbiesbrouck Active Member

I love this most for what it could mean for Dee Milliner. Ed Reed is going to break his entire foot off in that kids ass this season. Don't know if Reed wants to stay in the game, but, I'd be ok with him being defensive backs coach next year as well. He & Ray Lewis were master motivators of that D in Baltimore; can't hurt to have that guy around, kicking some ass & keeping dudes accountable.

8. Footballgod214

Only during the bye week when we've had the SAME 3 threads day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day......

Then news breaks of Ed Reed's possible availability (the biggest news to hit TGG in 3 months) but the mod(s) don't see it as 'Jet Related' and kick all the Ed Reed threads off the main forum.

I guess it was important to keep room for the Brad & Alex Smith threads so I can see their point.

9. Footballgod214

hahaha I totally forgot about him!

10. The_NYTitan

The_NYTitan Member

Worth it for the mentor aspect

11. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I love this signing. Ed Reed can only make our secondary better. He may not
    be the player he was five years ago, but he still brings a lot to the table.

12. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

dead on MR...if Reed is truly finished..and looking at his stats from last year he was far from finished..compared to the deep ball play this year, there truly cant be a fall off...thats for sure.

13. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

LMAO. Nice.

14. I bleed Jets Green

I bleed Jets Green New Member

It's a great pick up for the Jets and I hope he will remain for next season. Milliner needs a full season to learn from Reed and make him better.

15. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

Lott wasn't dominant but didn't have to be. That 1993 defense of Pete Carroll's was the #1 defense in points-per-game in Jets history until Rex edged it out in 2009. The problem that year was that it was paired with Bruce Coslet's anemic offense.

Meanwhile, back in the present, I love the Ed Reed signing. Can't go wrong with a Cane. As much for the smarts as for the playmaking. To be the QB of the secondary and get the kids in the right places.

#275 CaneJet, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  16. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Just throwing this into the mixer.

The first time Reed gets beaten deep, how many of you will be clamouring for his ass off the team?

17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I love the idea of Ed Reed as a locker room leader and mentor. We have a few young safeties that could sure benefit from his presence. Reed could fill a few holes while they are learning from one of the best. I love this pickup, even if he barely plays. We need guys like that on this young team. He can be our Herb Williams.

18. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Rex: Let's get Reed.
    Idzik: Meh.
    Rex: Come on!
    Idzik: Meh.
    Rex: He's a great player!
    Idzik: Was.
    Rex: Oh, he can still play.
    Idzik: Rex, you think Siragusa can still play.
    Rex: Pretty please...
    Idzik: I'm late for lunch.
    Rex: Dammit, he can be our Herb Williams!
    Idzik *eyes get wide. Picks up phone*: Shiela, get me Reed's agent on the horn.

SUPER BOWWWLLLLLLLL!!! :grin:

19. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Cut this bum.

20. The_NYTitan

The_NYTitan Member

How much did he cost