Ed Reed is a JET

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by thatisjetsfootball, Nov 14, 2013.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I love ramming our 3 Super Bowl wins down those Giants fans throat since Woody bought the team.

:grin:

_

2. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

3. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Biggs...I will never understand your defense of the secondary bud.

First off, if you look at Reeds numbers last year, his numbers were close to career average in every departement. Passes defensed were in top 4 in his career. He has averaged around 5 ints a year..he had 4 last year. Tackles were in the top 5 in his career.

You just dont fall off the ledge like that. It just didnt work out for him there. Is he Ed Reed of 5 years ago? No. Im trying to figure out all of this youth some of you guys think will be affected.

Who are these young studs we have in the pipeline that might have to sit 50 percent of the plays?

Anyone can point to several weaknesses that can hold this team back THIS year. QB...WR...and Secondary. The QB position and the WR position are possibly a weakness because of each other.

Now there is no reason..no reason..the secondary should be a weakness this year. If anyone wanted to blame the secondary the past 4 years...Revis or not..because of a lack of pass rush, that wouldnt be fair because of no pass rush...I would get that.

When you have a pass rush like this year, the one position that should benefit should be the secondary...and it hasnt. Its been exploited 75 percent of the games.

And what has been the biggest weakness of the secondary? The long ball. So you roll the dice on one of the best long ball defenders of all time. I do not get how anyone who is wanting this team to surprise this year isnt very happy at the CHANCE we might have helped to eliminate a huge problem.

Even if Reed is not the old Reed, we are playing average qbs except for perhaps 1 game the rest of the way. This is a no brainer unless anyone believes the secondary was in great shape before this.

#243 jaywayne12, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  4. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Guy looks fucking thrilled to be here.

5. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Jay Ed is a ball hawk, who covers the deep ball very well, both of which Landry can't handle

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Apollo Creed!

_

7. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Exactly my point MR...I mean the Jets have been killed downfield all year and the best ballhawk safety of all time becomes available down the stretch in a year that was supposed to be a rebuild..but we control the final spot with 7 games to go...and some might question the move?

I dont get it...but I respect others opinions...this one is perplexing to say the least.

Is Ed Reed finished? How the hell do you not roll the dice to find out because let me tell you something...if this guy is NOT finished...not...with any kind of decent QB play..this team has a chance to really surprise even more then some of us thought.

8. matt robinson 17

This is a win-win proposition Jay, he costs next to nothing, and anybody who knows football knows how bad Landry has been, covering the deep ball, especially

9. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

What if this is like that episode of the Office where Packer(Reed) comes back off the road and Michael(Rex) loves him and convinces Holly(Idzik) that he's great, but throughout the day(weeks) everyone see's how awful Packer really is and everyone hates him and Holly realizes that too and tries to break it to Michael that Packer sucks and Michael finally comes around to it.....

I'm sorry, is it Sunday yet?

10. klarkkent44

klarkkent44 Member

Great pickup by the jets!!! He may not be what he once was I still think he got something left in the tank, and who better to get it out of him than Rex. Just the knowledge of the game he'll be able to share with younger guys in our secondary is worth the pickup ??????

11. Play Like A Jet

In Cimini's article today he wrote that :

"[Reed's] arrival will mean less playing time for second-year safety Antonio Allen, who has been starting alongside Landry. There are times when the Jets use a three-safety package."

Is this correct since both Reed and Allen are Free Safeties? Or would the Jets maybe play Allen and Reed more?

Source: http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9975464/new-york-jets-deal-ed-reed

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The timing could not be more perfect for the Jets.

If we were not in the running for a wild card it probably might not have happened.

The biggest draw back to bringing Reed in was the financial concern and that went away.

It will NOT adversely impact our young team or the moral of our 3 safeties, if anything his experience and tremendous football IQ will make the young guys better, especially Bush and Jarret.Allen will be starting and benefit from Reed when on the field.

His leadership and respect for Rex will make the lockeroom better.

If he has one critical pass deflected or an interception for the season is an automatic major improvement for our secondary.

Having Reed on passing situations roaming the middle is if nothing else reassuring and gives the secondary added confidence and the offense added concerns.

This is WIN WIN no matter what....even if he is mostly sitting on the bench

Idzik is the absolute best acquisition the Jets made in 2013. bank on it. HE KNOWS HOW TO MOVE THE PIECES BASED ON TIMING AND FINANCIAL CONCERNS.

Welcome to the Jets Mr. Reed. You will soon be playing in a familiar stadium in Baltimore for a familiar coach that knows how to play D and get the best out of his personnel. IT WILL BE YOUR TIME TO SHINE

13. matt robinson 17

Allen > Landry

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Antonio Allen's natural position in the NFL is a strong safety. Not exactly the best in coverage, but he's an awesome tackler and can lineup against TEs.

15. matt robinson 17

Did well against Gronk...

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

No doubt. Antonio Allen is physical, strong and he's got some speed so he can hang with Gronk, but you don't want him out there being a center-fielder 5 10 yards down the field, you want him right where the action is so he can jam Gronk at the LOS and play physical. Meanwhile the Free Safety is out there watching the QB looking to make a move, the last line of defense.

17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

This is exactly what we want for Allen. He has been good, but has had his problems. With Reed next to him, he could learn a ton. Coaching the young guys is gonna pay huge dividends.

18. mattyt78

mattyt78 New Member

clap, welcome Ed.

19. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

One of my all time favorite players, welcome to the squad Ed.

20. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

i dont see how you could not be into this

its fucking ed reed

just cause the ravens made a bunch of odd decisions and the texans are a mess doesnt mean that ed reed isnt still a great guy to have on your team.

even if he doesnt see the field that much he will help even this team out and hopefully we can avoid coming out flat after a big win.