Keyshawn: Everybody in locker room must get along....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Aewhistory, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

I was reading another article about the Incognito and Martin fiasco when I came across a Keyshwn Johnson quote saying he thought the Dolphins didn't their homework putting their team together because everyone in the locker room needs to get along.

Here is the link:
    http://news.yahoo.com/dolphins-case-puts-gm-coaching-jobs-jeopardy-164815522--spt.html

While I agree with his thoughts on the matter at hand, and I like that Keyshawn has had the Jets back recently, I couldn't help but feel like Keyshawn was being a tad forgetful about his own past conduct during his tenure with the Jets. I would argue that what Keyshawn did was, at first glance, nowhere near as bad as the Incognito-Martin affair (sounds like a marriage...). However, I'm not sure in practice if Keyshawn publicly bashing and attacking Chrebet wasn't just as bad and perhaps worse for the team at the time. He put the Jets organization in a situation where they either had to defend Chrebet and, by consequence, alienate KJ or vice versa.

I'd like to see what other people feel about what KJ said. Is he being a tad hypocritical? Would you have wanted KJ back on the team if he were playing nowadays? And how do you think the KJ-WC issues compare to the more recent Incognito and Martin hubbub?

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

most of the ex-players/coaches forget what they did or went through and pretend but while Key and wayne hated each other off the field they put that stuff aside in games which is why they were an excellent duo and neither was as good w/o the other guy.

3. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

or they also grow up and learn that what they did back then wasn't in the best interest of the team.

4. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Key was obviously the more talented player when it came to him and Chrebet. It might have bothered him a little that Chrebet was so popular.

I think a lot of that stuff he said came with being young and dumb, plus the Jets were bad when he first got there.

In the quote he also said "or you at least have to know what personalities go together". I guess his and Chrebet's just didn't mix lol. Either way though they never let if effect their play while on the field. Truth is on a 53 man team your probably not going to get along with everyone. But you have to be able to work with them, trust them, and have their back on Sunday.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

For a short period of time, Keyshawn was the best player in the NFL, single handily beating the Jags in the AFC divisional round.

That being said, Canton would have to enlarge the front door if they ever wanted to fit a bust of Key's head through it.

6. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

He's a huge hypocrite. His feud with Chrebet was one sided. He forced his way off the Jets with Revis-like contract demands with two years left on his contract. Then he later was kicked off the Bucs before a season had ended. Johnson was a clear cut locker room cancer and first class jerk.

7. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Did they hate each other or was it all one-sided? Keyshawn couldn't shut the hell up about the White WR named Chrebet. Don't recall Chrebet sinking down to his level.

8. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

The only part about Keyshawn's game that says Hall of Fame was his mouth. Amazing when you go back and look that beat writers like Fatezzaro were KILLING the Jets for making that move when they got two firsts for a guy who didn't even crack the top 10 that year in receiving yardage, receptions or td's the year before they dealt him. Even in the 98 year with Vinny lighting it up he was 6th in receptions, 10th in yardage and 6th in TD's. Very good but not elite, and certainly not worth the picks the Bucs gave up.

Meanwhile Joey Galloway gets dealt for almost the same exact return despite being two years older and holding out for half the previous year the last year, and the media kisses Seattle's ass. Even back then, this organization couldn't win.

9. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Love it when Bart Scott called out Keyshawn at the beginning of the infamous "Can't Wait" interview.

10. 74

74 Well-Known Member

To all the Nonbelievers...

11. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

didnt keyshawn cancer himself to a vlt just a short time after he was dealt by the jets? meanwhile shawn ellis and anthony becht led the jets toooooooo. yup nothing.

i mean yeah, he was a bit of a jerk but man he could sure as hell block from the wr position.

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Chrebet was quite fine without Keyshawn.

[YOUTUBE]7LdcLnSB918[/YOUTUBE]

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Keyshawn should really keep his mouth shut about getting along.

He started in NY with a drawn out contract hold out, and was a selfish malcontent until traded away. He called out Kotite, Chrebet, and anyone else he could in his book like a punk, while still playing for the Jets organization.

After being traded to TB, he called out Groh and continued to take digs at Chrebet for really no reason at all. (was great watching Chrebet severely outplay him in the TB after that)
    In TB, continues his malcontent ways the year after a f'n Super Bowl by calling out Gruden, pissing off the coaches, and disrupting the team. Gruden deactivates a healthy Keyshawn for the final 7 games of season as to not have him around the team any longer.
    He gets traded promptly after the season, netting only Joey Galloway in return.

After a decently behaved stint with the Cowboys (Parcells was only coach he was onboard with), the Panthers give him a terrible 4 year contract.
    They promptly cut him after just 1 year.

really he was nothing more than a plodding possession receiver with an oversized ego, and was anything but a team first guy who 'just got along'. he was a me first malcontent, which is why him stating anything on the subject is ridiculous.

The Jets getting two 1st rounders for Keyshawn was an absolute steal.
    i was elated when we made that deal, and still am.

14. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Also, 9/11 was an inside job. :drunk:

15. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Loved this so much, and still do. Chrebet jumps too soon. Whew.

Last replay before vid ends: C-Mart takes a huge hit after the release. What a fucking stud.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this TDK....made my day (again!)

Key running his mouth made this the marquee game in the NFL that week. Couldn't have turned out any better!

17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Knowing the history of his behavior, this is all I can think of........ People (hopefully) learn from their mistakes. He probably realizes he was a selfish jerk back in the day. :shit:

Listening to him talk on TV now, he does seem like a different person.

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Keyshawn may not have had the kind of speed that TO or Randy Moss has but people forget how good he really was.

The guy was a big strong target that was trained to be unstoppable on the sidelines or the end zone. Either he is winning that jump ball or it is going out of bounds. The guy could block and catch everything thrown his way.

He made Ray Lucas look like a starting NFL QB. Yeah, that Ray Lucas.

Did he have a huge ego?

Of course he did, he wrote a book called "Give Me the Damned Ball" after one year in the league. In his defense he did endure a 1-15 under Rich Kotite who obviously did not give him the damned ball. For all the talk of his ego Keyshawn sure was loyal to Parcells though. Parcells cut him in Dallas and even now on ESPN he still calls him coach.

Two first round picks was a fair enough but if one of them did not turn out to be John Abraham we might have regretted that trade.

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Chrebet despised him, it wasn't one sided.

Key was a top WR w/ us. look at what he did in 1999 w/ Rick Mirer, Ray Lucas and Tom Tupa throwing passes to him. His became a good WR in TB, his elite days were pretty much over. had he stayed here he could have been a HOFer.

B/c he caught one pass in that game on a trick play?

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Keyshawn was a good player for us. Although it didn't end well, and for a period of time I did hate the man - I have since forgiven, out of respect for his game and professionalism that he evolved too.

Keyshawn changed as well - he was young and stupid at times in NY and I think even he would acknowledge it. I remember when Eric Moulds was in Buffalo and was thinking about leaving, Keyshawn was I think in Dallas or maybe still Tampa, and he advised Moulds he should think about staying and that asking to leave the Jets was a decision he has since regretted.

That '98 team is still my all-time favorite Jets team and like Junc said although Keyshawn and Chrebet hated each other, they put it aside in the best interest of the team on gamedays. And it was a hell of a dynamic to watch. Even when Keyshawn was at his "bitchiest".. he still was much different than other diva WRs like Moss, OchoCinco, T.O., etc in that he was ALWAYS about winning and had no problem doing the little things like blocking his ass off for a win. You have to respect that.