Brad Smith released

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetscrazy87, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Smith was never a decent receiver. Had ran poor routes and could not create any separation against even average coverage. He was big and fast and that's about it. In other words he was every thing Kerely is not and exactly why the signing would make little sense. he have Josh Cribbs and do not need another gadget player.

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I like Brad Smith and he did some good things for our team, so if this was a few months ago, maybe....... but 1 Josh Cribbs is enough

3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Cribbs>>Brad Smith

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

[​IMG]

Oh Cromartie ...

5. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Who cares, didn't even know he was still relevant

6. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

No. With Cribbs, Jets don't need him for returns. As a WR, he was terrible. Instead of bringing in somebody who spent years as bottom of the roster WR depth, give a young player a chance.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Beyond the Cribbs - Brad Smith debate is the Geno reality. Geno is a very young, very raw rookie still working on his footwork and cadence at the LOS. Idzik is smart. Paying anyone beyond vet min at this juncture is throwing talent and money away, to a large part.

Give Geno a full year under center plus another full training camp as 'the man' and maybe then it would be productive (cap wise) to start slinging cash around for top receiving talent.

I know Brad is anything but top receiving talent, but until Geno marinades a bit longer it makes little sense to spend anything significant on a receiver that would rarely see a clean pass.

Next year or the year after? Bring 'em on!

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i'd bring brad in, he is good on kick coverages as well a decent return guy. he is a versatile player that frees up roster spots for the active 48 on sundays.vet min, welcome back brad

9. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

:up:Would be waste of a roster spot! Obviously he has seen limited time with the Bill's and he has been released because of this.He would need a lot of time to get back into form. I personally hate the wild cat because it take the QB from behind center and waste any momentum we have established at that time. :grin:

10. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

The Jets already have that guy on the roster who does everything you listed and his name is Josh Cribbs. One other advantage Cribbs has is one month in the Mohrninweg offense with Geno.

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

Why is it that there is a thread made for every ex-Jet who is cut from another team about whether we should sign them or not...

There's a reason why he wasnt kept by the Jets, and there's an even better reason why he was just cut. Move on people.

12. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Iv seen those threads and they are usually about a former player who contributed mightily for us and left for money reason's. Can you blame them?

I feel we should have kept Smith , but he is not worth a roster spot when we have cribb's

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

(not referring to Brad Smith, but in general)- why wouldnt you want the Jets to surround Geno with talent immediately? That seems like the opposite of what you'd want.

Talent around a QB makes them better. Its really simple, which in turn helps the team win games. Id be shocked if we didnt bring in a legitimate WR and TE this offseason, and it would be inexplicable on the front office's part.

And if Geno isnt the answer, at least you have talent around a QB who is brought in for the future.

14. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

They like Brad. And I think regretted no re-signing him. They (Tanny and Rex) mentioned his name often when talking about their wildcat package a few years ago. But with Cribbs there's a log jam at that position. So unless they want Brad over Cribbs I don't think he'll go to the Jets this season. But I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back some time maybe even next year. PS Don't be surprised if he goes to the Rams and Schottenheimer.

#34 pclfan, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  15. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

That is probably the worst logic I have ever seen in this forum.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I agree with you.

17. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

good god no.

we have Cribbs, who is better returning kicks than B Smitty.

18. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Bring him and at least talk........ about the Bills

19. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Yeah, he's a better fit out in St Louis right now. With Cribbs here and healthy there's no role for Smith.

20. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

If theres any team we have figured out, its the Bills.